More exercise and fitness.

a wooden chair

I've finally managed to run 5k in less than half an hour. 29:53 specifically. No, it's not fast, but it's an achievement for me, so I'm quite happy with it. Did that both Sunday and Monday.

Good job! It takes me 36:00 currently to do a 5K. I'm fine with that for now, if I can manage that at my zombie 5k I'll be happy. I checked the course, luckily there are no big hills. :)

that's very good, personally I'd suggest playing with the programs, instead of faster pace, because in my experience it gets to easy to get used to the treadmill (especially if you watch TV or with a good play list) to the point that you barely breaking a sweat, in comparison to running outside were I thought i would die trying to finish the same distance in the same time.

I'd like to run outside but for a couple of problems. There is a trail nearby, but I live just off a highway so in order to get there (or anywhere) I'd have to run about a mile down the highway. And I usually run at night. Bright clothes or not, I wouldn't run that road during the day, nevermind at night. Plus I don't know how safe the trail would be at that time. Bit of a coyote problem in the city.

So it's the gym for me. I try to mix up my runs to keep things interesting. Don't really pay attention to the tv's; there are much better things to look at. :leer:

Good job! It takes me 36:00 currently to do a 5K. I'm fine with that for now, if I can manage that at my zombie 5k I'll be happy. I checked the course, luckily there are no big hills. :)

Halloween race?

I've got a Halloween 10k here, but I'm not ready to put in that kind of distance outside.

ETA - just looked up what a Zombie 5k is. Sounds awesome. Count me is as jealous too.

ETA2 - there actually is one near me. Boston, May 5th 2012. Hmm... might be I have something to train for...

When is yours?

I've finally managed to run 5k in less than half an hour. 29:53 specifically. No, it's not fast, but it's an achievement for me, so I'm quite happy with it. Did that both Sunday and Monday.

I decided to set a new goal for myself: 8:00 m/m pace for 4 miles. I'm going to try it once a week; set the pace on the treadmill, and just run until I feel that I need to stop. First attempt was Tuesday. I made it 1.5 miles (12 minutes). Yeah, I've got long way to go, but that's about what I expected from the first try.

getting a PB result is always great and you should be happy about it. congratulations!

i can't begin to express how much i envy you for running that.

hopefully, something like that will get organized in my area soon.

so far, it's just been ordinary races.

I decided to set a new goal for myself: 8:00 m/m pace for 4 miles. I'm going to try it once a week; set the pace on the treadmill, and just run until I feel that I need to stop. First attempt was Tuesday. I made it 1.5 miles (12 minutes). Yeah, I've got long way to go, but that's about what I expected from the first try.

It will go better if you do some intervals instead of trying to extend the pace until you can't go anymore. For example, 8 m/m pace for 2 minutes, jog for 30 sec for four miles. Increase intervals and decrease recovery. Change them up as needed.

I ran my second and final race of the season yesterday night, at the unusual distance (at least for adults running outdoors) of 60m. Despite excellent conditions, my time was a very disappointing 7.82 (roughly equivalent to 7.6 with manual timing). It's terribly frustrating: It feels like I'm in great shape, but somehow I seem to have forgotten how to run during my 15 years away from the track. My running mechanics are all wrong.

Holy shit! Amazon just sent me an email - 40 bucks for 20 Crossfit sessions at a place that's about 20 minutes away from me. What am I getting myself into!?

What are you getting into? 10lbs of asskicking in a 5lb bag - that's gonna be awesome!

great workout yesterday...one hour massage. feel like a new person.

Last time I posted in the exercise and fitness thread I got some good advice on dealing with shin splints and I've been able to work running back into my routine. Better stretching, better shoes and alternating my cardio between running and swimming seems to be working. I'm still a pretty slow runner, 38 min 5K, but I don't compete so I'm not to worried about speed. So thank you to those gave the advice.

It will go better if you do some intervals instead of trying to extend the pace until you can't go anymore. For example, 8 m/m pace for 2 minutes, jog for 30 sec for four miles. Increase intervals and decrease recovery. Change them up as needed.

Yeah, I've been doing intervals. As I said, I like to vary my workouts. Partly to keep my body from getting too used to it. Partly because the treadmill gets damned boring and I need to do something to keep it interesting.

Anyway, intervals is where this little idea stemmed from, although I was taking longer than 30 second recovory periods. I felt like I could keep up the pace longer than the 2 minutes I was putting in. And really, what's the point of doing intervals at all if it doesn't feel difficult? Why not take the pace, just go and see how long I could make it? It wouldn't be a regular thing, just another run type to add into rotation. Something I'd do maybe once every week or two.

Honestly, I don't know all that much about proper run training, so your tips are certainly welcome. And I do like your suggestion. It would still be pretty challenging with the shorter rests. Wouldn't hurt anything to do it both ways, right? (Not trying to be argumentative or anything. You're obviously a more experienced runner than I am, so If you tell me no, I'll follow your advice.)

I swam 4200 yds this morning and feel great; it's the most I've swum at one time and it took nearly two hours. But, the first 2200 yds was continuous with changing strokes. In a couple weeks I'm going to work on adding in some sprint laps to help build up speed.

Yeah, I've been doing intervals. As I said, I like to vary my workouts. Partly to keep my body from getting too used to it. Partly because the treadmill gets damned boring and I need to do something to keep it interesting.

Anyway, intervals is where this little idea stemmed from, although I was taking longer than 30 second recovory periods. I felt like I could keep up the pace longer than the 2 minutes I was putting in. And really, what's the point of doing intervals at all if it doesn't feel difficult? Why not take the pace, just go and see how long I could make it? It wouldn't be a regular thing, just another run type to add into rotation. Something I'd do maybe once every week or two.

Honestly, I don't know all that much about proper run training, so your tips are certainly welcome. And I do like your suggestion. It would still be pretty challenging with the shorter rests. Wouldn't hurt anything to do it both ways, right? (Not trying to be argumentative or anything. You're obviously a more experienced runner than I am, so If you tell me no, I'll follow your advice.)

Yeah, varying your workouts is a good thing. Another thing you could do, if running the four miles at that pace is your main goal right now, is mile repeats - probably about 8:15/mile, or hard enough to be feeling tired in the last miles, but not so hard that you have to stop. In general, the right amount of effort is so that at the end of the workout, you could do one more interval if you had to, but it wouldn't be fun or easy.

I did my workout early this morning - was done by 10 - with the intention of doing the second workout this afternoon, about a half hour ago.

Uh, no. First workout left me totally wiped out. I'm never working out that early again.

I start a new training routine on Monday. Having had a rest year, I am heavier than usual and have lost some amount of tone too :(

It has been hard to just let myslef rest when that is not my natural inclination. I have been walking and still being pretty fit ( Stego called me somehwat athletic after Reno ) but have lost my abs and some of my upper body strength.

Haha no more - because i will be in classes two days a week and in the gym and pool as well as much more work with all kinds of weaponry : )

I get to do aerial and wire work as well as unarmed combat and handgun training. I felt sore - but oh so good - after fighting last weekend. Bring it :)

Hi folks! I've been trying to run again. the only other time I ever did this seriously it killed my ankles. but I got different shoes this time and it seems to have helped. its been 3 weeks now, just running on the treadmill for 15 min ever morning. I'm not running fast or far (and need a break half way through! lol) but its not too terribly painful so far. for sure its way more of an effort than the elliptical trainer!

On Saturdays I try to do a mini-triathlon day to keep from getting bored and to keep my body from getting used to one thing.

A few weeks ago I did something to my calf; I don't know if I pulled a muscle or what, but it hurt to walk so I was unable to run. Yesterday, I was finally able to run again but I could only run very slowly or it started to hurt. It took me about 18 minutes to run 1.5 miles, at which point my calf started to tighten up so I stopped. I was worried that I might have pulled it again, but it feels fine this morning.

After the short run, I biked 6.5 miles and swam 2 miles.

Archived