More exercise and fitness.

a wooden chair

Thanks everyone. This thread has been a great source of motivation for me. I appreciate all the advice and support, even when it wasn't directed at me.

And since I know I can get better, I went ahead and registered for the Flying Pig Marathon in May. I'm going to try training with a group this time and being more committed to crosstraining. The Cincinnati course is more difficult but I feel that experience and training can get me under 4:30.

Chats - is your marathon this weekend?

I ran outside in the incredibly stormy Chicago weather and reached two conclusions:

1. I love running in the rain. Even with 18 feet waves and huge gusts. Love it.

2. Running after recovering from a marathon is amazing. Your legs feel like horses--strong as hell and fast. So more like super horses from Krypton. My splits for my last three runs (all 3 or 4 milers) have been in 9 minute or below range. Not fast for some, but for me, that's fast.

Whatever you're going through, more Scotch and more running are the answers.

Had the Scotch last night and the running this morning - 10.4 mi trail race in Morrison. I'd run about 6 miles total in the last three weeks and I can't even remember the last time I ran 10+ miles, but sometimes you just have to get out there and do it. Actually, disregarding the pace, the racing part went much better than I expected. I started at the back and was consistently moving up, something I rarely have the patience to do when I'm in better shape. I felt good enough until about mile 6, and decent through mile 8. I was shuffling through the finish though, another mile with any uphills at all and I'd have been walking. I barely had any thoughts at all during the race, especially after the first few miles. Whenever there was a clump of runners that I could see, I'd think that I should catch up with the group up ahead, although by the time I got there, the clump almost always turned out to be more spread out than had appeared, there was a lot of single track, but that was about it as far as coherent thoughts go. Now contemplating a nap.

ETA: It amazes me how hard it seems to find used racing snowshoes. I guess not that many people ever get into it at all, but it seems like the kind of activity where people would buy the gear and then end up never or rarely using it, and then sell it.

Figured out that biking to school is totally possible (it's 8.1 miles one way), and I did that twice this weekend. Nice little workout, my legs are really feeling it! Plus I'm saving a bit of gas and enjoying the last nice weather I may see for a while.

It takes a little too long to do during the week, but as long as I can weatherwise I think I'll continue to do so on weekends when I'm not in a hurry.

I used to do it allot, it's a great way to star a morning and luckily my bike was in such bad shape that I could do it on my way home aswell ;)

I wish I could still do it, it would fit my schedule perfectly but unfortunately it's a hot climate here and biking means shower after(even in the morning), which is a to much of a trouble :(

You know what's funny, I'm only a 34B on a good day, but I still need to strap these suckers down with like military-grade Kevlar or there will be much aching.

hey Starkess, can I ask what kinda sports bras you wear? I can't find Freyas in sizes our size (I'm 34B too, they seem to make them only for C cups and bigger) and I've tried a number of other compression bras from stores that sell things for runners and they just don't seem to help that much. so, I'm still on the hunt for a good running bra. who knew this would be so hard? It seems like a lot of people order these things online but I have a hard time with that so I'll do that only as a last resort. I'll try an Enell custom one from their online store but I thought I'd see if you had a suggestion for me first.

In other news, I watched my 11-year-old niece test for her black belt today. holy crap, did they put her through her paces. I honestly thought with young kids they would just make them memorize their forms and it was just a sorta given that she'd get it. but they spent 2 hours drilling her, more than half the time she was sparing with 2 or more people at the same time, half of those people were guys significantly bigger than her. I was shocked at what she had to do, and I felt inadequate, no way could I have done what she did! lol I need to step it up a notch!

Good luck on your marathon Baxus!

thanks!

it was a half-marathon, though ;)

Good luck, baxus! :cheers:

thanks!

best of luck baxus! Hope the weather cooperates!

thanks!

weather did cooperate, but not fully ;)

here's a report (at this point i hope it will be brief, but it may end up longer ;) )

first off, the track is great for running as fast as you can. it's circular, so there's no altitude difference between starting point and finish line. there are some uphill parts but those are neither steep nor long, and most downhills that follow them are very long and you almost don't get the feeling you're running downhill but your result in the end clearly shows it.

second, weather was good to us in the end, but not very good. it was 4-5 degrees (celsius, mind you - some 40 fahrenheit if my calculations are correct) with some barely noticeable rain from time to time.

third, the organization was great. there were water stations every 2.5km and refreshment stations every 5km, they were clearly marked well in advance, were very well supplied (water, isotonics, fruit, chocolate from what i've seen and used, maybe something more) and there was plenty of tables and volunteers to avoid crowding. after the finish line there was hot soup, tea, fruit, isotonics... this is the first time i ran a race outside serbia where running is not popular and races are not really well organized (for example, i don't think a single race in serbia uses chips for timing), so while i do realize this is standard way of doing things for me it's an example of good organization ;)

fourth, running this race was a first time i ran in such a crowd - there was 7100 or so runners who completed marathon or half-marathon. organizers handled the starting zones well and crowding during the run was avoided. there were many people to cheer the runners along the way, many were holding signs or banners supporting their friends and family along the way, some were waiving various countries' flags, there were even 3 orchestras playing in the streets...

fifth, i skipped a lot of training last month because i was sick, did just some recovery week stuff so i was not at my best and was wondering if i'd be able to do the race in 1:40:00 as i trained for. i started with 3 friends and we agreed to run together with one of them setting our pace at 1:38:00 and see if we can keep it up. after 5-6km one of them fell behind, and about at the same time i started thinking of doing the same, but stubbornly refused to do so and kept refusing until 18-19km when both i and one of those two remaining friends asked our friend who ran the pace to slow down a bit because we were beat. he did, but kept cheering us on, telling us all the right things, giving us advice... the lack of training over the last 3-4 weeks was really showing in those last 2-3km were pure agony for me, i haven't lost my breath but my legs felt as if they were made of led. somehow we even managed to speed up a bit in the last 0.5-1km and officially come in at 1:38:56, which is my new personal best by 12 minutes.

all in all, i enjoyed it very much and it was a great experience.

i really gave it all i could on the day and will have no doubt if i could have done any better and will have no "what if"s to bother me later on.

i knew it wouldn't be a brief report :D

Congrats, Baxus!

P90X is finished. I did the legs and back on Friday and did another 6 mile walk/hike (Rowan just gets heavier and heavier) on Saturday. I celebrated with my first margarita in a long time on Friday night, and then yesterday I went nuts with the bread. No, I regret nothing.

My metrics don't tell any kind of story at all. I lost like, 1.3 pounds start to finish but with a lot of yo-yo-ing along the way. I haven't lost any pants sizes. I don't need new shirts. I've been able to size down my bra but I'm still wearing my maternity stuff. And before anyone says anything, maternity wear is super comfortable!

If you look at pictures, though, there is a little bit of difference. So I'll go with that.

Archived