More exercise and fitness.

a wooden chair

I got pregnant over two years ago, almost three years ago. It's only now that I can take the time to care for myself. I'm using other things as metrics - pictures are helpful - but it's puzzling to me why the weight just won't go anywhere. Maybe my body's just really good at equilibrium or something, you know?

You're doing great Min, can definitely see a difference in those two pics! Get your BF% checked as well, might find that the weight has stayed the same but your body comp has changed. Depending on how the muscles changed, might not be able to feel a difference in clothes yet.

Good luck with the ass. I always found that ballet and martial arts did the most for making my ass feel like it's caught on fire.

For me it's usually Mexican food that does that.

You're doing great Min, can definitely see a difference in those two pics! Get your BF% checked as well, might find that the weight has stayed the same but your body comp has changed. Depending on how the muscles changed, might not be able to feel a difference in clothes yet.

For me it's usually Mexican food that does that.

I'm going to keep working at it and hoping it'll come off... eventually! Thanks.

i've done nothing but cycle all summer, having just started training again i realised that cycling gets you fit for nothing but cycling.

must start eating properly as well, about 2/3 of way through workout i am fucking starving. lager and sausage sandwiches are not the diet of an athlete.

Owwww I spent all last week doing P90X without subbing in any Insanity. This week I begin a pure Insanity regimen. I have learned that going one week without Insanity means you can no longer do Insanity at the level you're used to.

ok, in my ongoing boob drama... got this yesterday locally: Champion with zipper

used it this morning and it was awesome. totally comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and no freaking bouncing. :thumbsup:

it doesn't have adjustable straps (which is why I wanted to try it in person first) so it may not work for everyone, but it has adjustments on both sides so you can make it tighter around. thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

got new shoes over the weekend, too, and they're totally comfy. now just gotta build some running stamina!

also have been going to a new gym this week and like it, I think I'll switch. my old gym got a new manager over the summer (I may have kvetched about this before?) and started rearranging things so there is some nautilus machine in every single corner of the gym, leaving hardly any space for working out with barbells and such. New gym may not be quite as tidy generally, but a ton more space and a better locker room.

Someone told me that swimming performs a similar function for your brain as meditation. I guess it's because you're focusing on your breathing and the movement. All I know is that I can go to the gym in a bad mood, swim for a little while, and leave feeling great. Really exercising is the only way I can deal with the stress of students and dissertation writing, so I've been in the gym a lot lately.

Someone told me that swimming performs a similar function for your brain as meditation. I guess it's because you're focusing on your breathing and the movement. All I know is that I can go to the gym in a bad mood, swim for a little while, and leave feeling great. Really exercising is the only way I can deal with the stress of students and dissertation writing, so I've been in the gym a lot lately.

What about the wine!? Swimming is more a seasonal thing for me sadly as there's no pools around I can make use of. I do have friends on a lake though. Would crawling belly down across ice help any for winter workouts?

You know as I hit "post" I thought to myself, exercise isn't the only thing - there is the wine so nice catch! ;)

I'm lucky in that I have a university gym to go to so it's equipped with everything. I don't know if crawling belly down across ice would help workout wise, but it could be great fun sliding down ice that way.

Joined the "Y" earlier this month. Been doing 1 hour on the eliptical 6 days a week and I'm up to 700 calories burned per hour. I love the eliptical because it feels like running but without the jarring on the joints. < grin >

Huge difference Minaku, that is something to be immensely proud of!

Yes, truly awesome progress!

I miss my ass padding.

Try sprinting, and you'll soon have enough ass padding that you can no longer find pants that fit.

Speaking of sprinting, I've had great progress over the last few weeks, but now I'm suddenly forced to take a break because of a painful foot. I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I fear a stress fracture. :frown5:

Joined the "Y" earlier this month. Been doing 1 hour on the eliptical 6 days a week and I'm up to 700 calories burned per hour. I love the eliptical because it feels like running but without the jarring on the joints. < grin >

I'm all about it for the same reasons. Less impact for my spine the better. Do you put the resistance up at all? Usually mine is at 14 or 15 out of 20 Max so it feels like I am treading through sludge.

This thread makes me glad I have no boobs. I just wear the lightest style of Adidas bras, size S, not too expensive.

I need running pants, I'd really like to get them from my store in Blacksburg where I have loyalty. Maybe I'll be back there this winter.

i've just finished one half-marathon and am already thinking of another :)

in a few days, when the rest of the people i run with make up their minds whether or not they're going, i'll be applying for berlin half-marathon that takes place on april 1st 2012.

Someone told me that swimming performs a similar function for your brain as meditation. I guess it's because you're focusing on your breathing and the movement.

Swimming is zen for me. I used to lose track of the laos and get frustrated, but then I read about this little trick. A mile is 66 laps in a 25 metro pool. I think of four letter words alphabetically up to the letter "o". "P" has to be a six letter word. I sometimes think of a theme and try to match my words to the theme, but I always end with "peapod."

Vethnar, I hope you don't have a fracture! :( you going to the doc soon to get it checked?

I love swimming, I grew up swimming competitively and I love love love swimming laps, its totally zen. I love having my ears under water, can't really hear anything but those muted sounds through the water... you are just alone in your own head. its awesome. I love riding motorcycles for the same reason, it does the same thing to me... gives me one thing to focus on quietly and everything else just slips away. awesome.

Unfortunately, public pools in NYC are heavily chlorinated... to the point that it burns my sinuses sometimes, and they're still filthy pools. and when I was younger having green hair and dry skin didn't bother me too much but now? it does kinda bother me... I'd have to cut my hair to swim regularly in one of these public pools. I dream of having my own lap pool with salt water some day.

for counting, I just used time. I was able to swim fairly consistently as far as speed, so I knew certain chunks of time were about a mile... I can't remember what it was exactly, depended on the pool too. 20 min maybe? idk... it was close enough for jazz. :)

glad you're going, Lady. nice to hear others like swimming. do you just swim just freestyle or do you like to mix it up with other strokes and kickboards and such?

Eponine, :lol: you made me giggle! I barely have any boobs at this point, a total source of sadness. you make a good point, though...

I do a combination of freestyle and backstroke, then kicks with the kickboards and without on my back, then tread across the pool. Depending on the day I do various combinations so it's always different and I don't get bored.

My pool is heavily chlorinated too. When I first started swimming a few months ago, I just got a regular bathing suit from the store and it started coming apart in a few weeks. I've learned my lesson and now have better ones. The dry skin is a bit annoying, especially now that fall's kicked in and the humidity has lessened. So, I'm trying to remember to use lotion everyday.

Since you were competitive swimmer, did you ever have any experience with swimmer's ear? My left ear has been feeling a little clogged for the past couple days and I'm worried I'm heading for an infection. :(

Tammy

I always start with a few laps of breast stroke. Then it's freestyle until the last six which are backstroke. I hate the kickboards. And it took me *much* longer than 20 minutes for my mile today.

I love to swim. I swam all through both

pregnancies. In fact I swam a mile two days before my son was born. I just haven't been in the pool for a while. I go to the pool at work, which is the one they use for the college swim meets. It's well maintained and quite large with its own separate diving well (not open for diving but you can take an aqua aerobics class or play water polo.) Today two of the lanes were being used for Aqua Zumba. That was a strange sight to see!

Archived