2011 Major League Baseball 2 - The Postseason

Bronn Stone

Hey MC, that CNN article's pretty light on info compared to the one I saw on ESPN. Check this out:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7113947/los-angeles-dodgers-owners-frank-mccourt-jamie-mccourt-reach-divorce-deal

Hopefully it moves closer to McCourt being forced to sell. It sounds like it depends on whether the judge will allow MLB to keep blocking that Fox TV deal. Now that McCourt has to come up with $130 million to pay off the ex by "some time in 2012", you have to figure that gives him a bigger need for liquid cash for non-Dodgers purposes - which is the whole reason Selig blocked the TV deal in the first place.

It's pretty much uncharted territory. Who knows? This article says the next wave of motions to be ruled on starts on October 31. No idea when the resolution would be after that.

I can answer this one, as I have just been educated in such matters myself: I quote:

So there ya go :thumbsup:

I can neither confirm nor deny any allegations that I am in any way associated with that quote.

so what does this now mean for the dodgers?

I didn't read either link, because who cares? In my expert opinion that's a news article about stuff that in the final analysis reveals that the Dodgers are Bums.

As we know.

Here's a tivia question (that I do not know the answer to off of the top of my head and I realize that I could probably figure out with teh internets): Who is the last franchise to appear in two consecutive WS and lose them? Obviously Texas has not done this yet, but I feel like it's been a really long time since this has happened.

I don't know. I feel like the 90's Braves might have pulled it off as much as they were in the playoffs and still only won one. But if not, it'd have to be the Yankees, wouldn't it? Or the Cardinals or Giants beyond that. (ETA: OK, OK, probably the Dodgers as well.)

Really painful Brewers loss last night. MLB with its 160 games per reg season is brutal. Uuuuuuhh. Oh well. I will be rooting for the Cards in the WS. They can represent for us. Also Molina is one of my fav players.

In a way I think the Brewers with their deep pitching corps would have matched up more favorably with Texas than the Cards. But alas, it was the Brewer pitching that came up short. Texas seems to have too much for the Cards. Rangers in 5 games, maybe 6.

Nor do I. Which is why I didn't say 'obviously superior'. I said 'doesn't quite compare'.

I can say this. If I were 'picking teams' right now with starters and got first choice at each position and only considering hitting, I'd most likely pick five Rangers, two Cardinals and one coin toss.

C: Napoli > Molina

1B: Pujols > M. Young

2B: Kinsler > Punto

SS: Andrus > Furcal

3B: Beltre > Freese

LF: Holiday > Chavez

CF: Hamilton > Jay

RF: Cruz = Berkman

I get that Cruz was out of his mind for the ALCS, but Berkman > Cruz. Otherwise by that logic you'd have to put Freese ahead of Beltre.

I'm going to kick myself, but I turned down a ticket to Game 2. Just can't swing the time off work, drive down and back, and even the $225 face value on the ticket at this point. Crap!

Still... Psyched to watch Game 1 tonight.

Go Cards!

It still weirds me out that other teams* actually get runners in scoring position to score. When will this madness cease??

*Still not a great record in this game, but that just shows how low my expectations have fallen.

Just a couple of things that I noticed in the game. Berkman's 2 RBI single in the 4th was actually a foul ball. It bounced in the batter's box, and Beltrae's out in the 9th was a missed call as well. I didn't mind the call so much on Berkman, because it was so easy to miss. I had to pause the game to notice, but the Beltrae out was egregious.

That being said, It was a great game tonight. Carpenter's plays in fielding made the difference. This really could be a nice series.

Just a couple of things that I noticed in the game. Berkman's 2 RBI single in the 4th was actually a foul ball. It bounced in the batter's box, and Beltrae's out in the 9th was a missed call as well. I didn't mind the call so much on Berkman, because it was so easy to miss. I had to pause the game to notice, but the Beltrae out was egregious.

That being said, It was a great game tonight. Carpenter's plays in fielding made the difference. This really could be a nice series.

Berkman's hit wasn't a foul ball. The ball can hit in foul territory and come back fair. It's not foul until the ball stops moving in foul territory (either on its own or while touched by a fielder), goes out of play, or passes the bag on the foul side. It initially hit the ground in foul territory but was a fair ball when it went past the bag.

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair territory touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes out of the playing field in flight.

Looked like they did blow the call on Beltre though.

Maybe I'm just reaching, but I do think it's the real deal. We had a horrific number of blown saves this season, but the majority were before we acquired Dotel and Rzepzcinzky (sp+2), and it was also before Motte had settled in as the de facto closer.

Yeah, I know. I just expect that after the NLCS....someone's arm (placing my bet on Rhodes, he seems like the closest thing to a zombie) is going to turn out to have been reattached, Qyburn-style, and it will actually fall off and land on home plate. Still holding the ball. The umpire will declare it a strike. Selig will declare that to be the "extra human" element of the game.

Archived