Did Cersei murder Melara?

Jamie Lannister

I think it's strongly implied that

Cersei pushed Melara down a well, but I don't think it happened the same night they visited Maggy the Frog. Maggy tells Melara that: "Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close."

But Cersei herself states that:

Note that Cersei says that Melara soon fell down a well and drowned. To me, that indicates that it didn't happen that same night, but shortly thereafter. Maggy the Frog was simply saying to Melara that her death was in the room with her. That is, Cersei, who was standing right next to her (Melara).

Cersei thinks, cryptically, that Melara "was not so silent in the well, though. She screamed and shouted." I'm one of those who thinks Cersei pushed her in.

This is how I read it, too. And Cersei's description of Melara drowning is oddly specific.

I'm pretty sure she was standing right there.

• 2 weeks later...

She killed melara out of jealousy over Jaime. I believe in affc she talks of how melara betrayed her or something of that nature

Cersei has a track record of deciding somebody betrayed her to justify having treating them cruelly. She seems to genuinely believe Sansa betrayed her when she has her outburst to the council and she pushed the blame onto the Blue Bard for forcing her to witness torture - in the middle of torturing him into a false confession!!

I believe that Cersei killed Melara to keep her prophecy unspoken, then justified it by convincing herself that Melara's entirely innocent admiration of Jaime was a terrible betrayal.

"Later, after they were separated, she'd had a string of bedmaids and companions, most of them girls of an age with her, the daughters of her father's household knights and bannerman. None had pleased her, and few lasted very long. Little sneaks, the lot of them. Vapid, weepy creatures, always telling tales and trying to worm their way between me and Jaime."

So apparently she got rid of friends who wanted Jaime.

Kind of like Melara huh.

She can't murder them all though. That would rouse too much suspicion.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess there is little use in pointing out that there is no decisive evidence that she did this, that even if she did she was a minor, and that there is no evidence to show that if it happened at all, it was intentional rather than accidental.

I guess there is little use in pointing out that there is no decisive evidence that she did this, that even if she did she was a minor, and that there is no evidence to show that if it happened at all, it was intentional rather than accidental.

Oh please. It's heavily implied that she did it. That she was a minor at the time is no excuse. It was wrong and she has since grown into an even more terrible person. Cersei was a proto-Joffrey. Accept it.

Come on. How can anyone seriously doubt that Cersei did it? It is clear for all to see, right there in the text.

"Because Cersei only turned cruel because of Robert's abuses!!!!"

Some people genuinely believe this and thus it can't be true that Cersei was a cruel little girl. Even though we know she was vile even as a child.

Some people genuinely believe this and thus it can't be true that Cersei was a cruel little girl. Even though we know she was vile even as a child.

Maggy's reference to Melara's death as "her" and that "she" was right there in the same room, that Melara could "feel her breath" really gives it away.

Cersei later recalling Melara's screams in the well nails it down without a doubt. I can't believe the thread has reached 7 pages of debate on the matter.

The thread is revolving. We've had all of this upthread.

Yes, hard Sherlock Holmesy proof is missing, and while that's true, so is this:

Oh please. It's heavily implied that she did it. That she was a minor at the time is no excuse. It was wrong and she has since grown into an even more terrible person. Cersei was a proto-Joffrey. Accept it.

...and this...

Yeah. Its really heavily replied. To me, the most convincing implication came from Cersei's 2nd Dance chapter.

She saw "accusing eyes"

...and further...

Maggy's reference to Melara's death as "her" and that "she" was right there in the same room, that Melara could "feel her breath" really gives it away.

Cersei later recalling Melara's screams in the well nails it down without a doubt. I can't believe the thread has reached 7 pages of debate on the matter.

And that's because it revolves. There's no news, only opinions we've heard before.

eta - edited in @harry_dresden's quote.

Yeah, that one always gets me. It's impossible for Cersei to have been a vile little bitch right from the start. A man just had to have turned her that way.

I get that Robert raped her. I understand that her marriage was unhappy, and her only escape was her love for Jaime and for her children. I understand that she was denied her perfect fairy-tale marriage to Rhaegar, which likely made her bitter. That doesn't mean she wasn't rotten right from the start of it all.

Yeah, that one always gets me. It's impossible for Cersei to have been a vile little bitch right from the start. A man just had to have turned her that way.

I get that Robert raped her. I understand that her marriage was unhappy, and her only escape was her love for Jaime and for her children. I understand that she was denied her perfect fairy-tale marriage to Rhaegar, which likely made her bitter. That doesn't mean she wasn't rotten right from the start of it all.

Reread the scene where Cersei dreams of the actual encounter with Maggy.

Her treatment of Maggy was utterly vile.

I'm not even going into the Tyrion abuse thing.

Seemed rather obvious to me that the answer is yes.

It is, to anyone who don't need Cersei to think "and then I killed Melara. For real, like, I killed her. Myself. Personally. By pushing her down the well. And then not helping her. I did it myself. It wasn't an accident."

And even then, some would say her memory was playing tricks on her.

IMO, it's more about the prophecy. Melara told Cersei that if they didn't tell anyone about it, it couldn't come true. Cersei silences her in an effort to kill the prophecy. Jaime is just the icing on the cake. She doesn't think anyone could really take Jaime from her.

Hah.

Archived