NFL Thread #5

BLU-RAY

And yet, somehow, Matt Cassel was able to do something remarkably similar with the Pats. After his ONE season as a Pats starter he signed a multimillion dollar deal as the starter for KC. How come backing up Tom Brady is a perfectly reasonable assignment. yet backing up Peyton Manning is " never (will) get a fair shake"? I think you are over-stating the difficulty of Painter's job vs. every other QB who has to step in for a HoF QB. Cassel stepped in for Brady and ran that offense fine (probably better than fine; you don't give big contracts to guys who are merely adequate ... unless your Al Davis).

And I think you're holding a bag full of oranges and trying to sell me an apple.

Were the Patriots a poorly run team on an obvious decline with a bad defense, offensive line, running game and coach when Matt Cassel took over? Or were they a historically good team that had just finished a 16-0 season? Because one of those teams seems like a pretty good gig to have as a backup QB. One of them doesn't so much.

Again, that's a classic sign of a poorly run organization with no idea what its doing, panicking at the first sign of distress.

No one has argued that.

As far as the Colts offense; it may be the great mystery of our time that only one man - nay, superman -can figure out. That " no other QB in the history of the game "-

Put a pin in this- so, Manning is running such a specialized and complex offense that ... Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, Bart Starr, Tom Brady, Otto Grahm, Johnny Unitas .... none of these flesh-bags could "step into the Colts offense and perform in it the way Manning does. All the QBs that have ever played and none could walk in off the street and fill Manning's shoes..."? They would all just perform like slugs?

Hyperbole much?

I take that as a compliment, coming from such a master of hyperbole as yourself.

Also, can you point out where I said any QB for the Colts would "perform like slugs"? Because I'm fairly certain I never said any such thing. I'll wait while you check.

Back? Good, because I stand by my statement. No quarterback in the history of the league could step into Manning's place and perform like he has. None. Maybe some of the best could acclimate after a season or through part of a season, but step in right away - on this team - and be that much better than what we've seen? When Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne are regularly dropping passes?

Ravens laying another giant egg today. This time it's against the Cardinals. Can't click on offense, fumbled a ball away to give the Cardinals a 2-yard field, and now they've just given up a punt return for a touchdown. Flacco looking like he can't complete a pass other than a checkdown. Good grief.

Edit: And on first down after that, first down play is an interception. Flacco hit Smith right on the numbers, he fumbled catching it and it was picked. I'm going to have to start a countdown til when pitchers and catchers report.

Ravens laying another giant egg today. This time it's against the Cardinals. Can't click on offense, fumbled a ball away to give the Cardinals a 2-yard field, and now they've just given up a punt return for a touchdown. Flacco looking like he can't complete a pass other than a checkdown. Good grief.

Edit: And on first down after that, first down play is an interception. Flacco hit Smith right on the numbers, he fumbled catching it and it was picked. I'm going to have to start a countdown til when pitchers and catchers report.

:crying:

This is really sad to watch

Looks like the Saints aren't stopping the run and the Lambs are getting some pressure on Brees.

Chris Long was ABUSING the Saints right tackle. Brees was running for his life all game

I was watching some videos on NFL Network, and Kurt Warner and Co. were talking about the Colts and why they suck. Eventually, someone said "Well, it's tough on the Colts defense. Because they're built to rush the passer."

To this I say: "FUCK THAT SHIT!"

Have you ever, ever, in the history of Football heard the term 'Built to play with a lead' in reference to a defense? That's absolutely (and I hesitate to use such a term, but I feel that the unfortunate derogatory nature is the best available to get my feelings across) retarded. How about a defense that's built to, you know, stop the other team from scoring? Like, you know, every other team in the league does? (Or at least tries to do)

Seriously, "Built to play with a lead?" That's absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You are not correct here. It is certainly conceivable that a defense could be designed to generate turnovers even at the risk of giving up big plays more often. Such a team might blitz a lot, invest little in defensive backs and take a lot of chances, relying on a superb offense to outscore an opponent. There have been Manning-led Colts teams that had offenses sufficiently dangerous that such a scheme was at least theoretically possible.

I am not saying that any current team is so constructed. But such a defensive scheme is well within the realm of possibility and it could probably be at the very least argued that some historical teams played this way. While one could argue that 'generating turnovers' is the same as 'stopping a team from scoring', I'd say the distinction is both real and significant. So I would NOT say that all NFL defenses are designed to keep the other team from scoring.

Argh! I missed the end of the game. My son was telling me scores, and last one was 27-27. Did the Ravens go into overtime? I hate missing exciting endings? (and I don't have a lot of time now---we are laying carpet with padding in the basement---its a lot harder than it looks)

Argh! I missed the end of the game. My son was telling me scores, and last one was 27-27. Did the Ravens go into overtime? I hate missing exciting endings? (and I don't have a lot of time now---we are laying carpet with padding in the basement---its a lot harder than it looks)

Last second FG. No OT.

Archived