NFL Thread #5

BLU-RAY

I think I'm going to be sick. Blah. What a terrible, terrible game. Lackluster play in every aspect. It's like they managed to forget how to play football during the bye. This is why you don't give people days off, BB!

And to end it all with a safety, really, that's just the terrible icing on the shit-cake.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

A weird trend this season is that teams coming out of the bye have been losing. Belichick was afraid of that and it happened to the Pats. I'm hoping that continues tonight because Andy Reid is undefeated after the bye

A weird trend this season is that teams coming out of the bye have been losing. Belichick was afraid of that and it happened to the Pats. I'm hoping that continues tonight because Andy Reid is undefeated after the bye

Didn't the new CBA change the rules about how much teams are allowed to practice during the bye week? I'm pretty sure it did, and its clearly making teams rusty. I'm terrified of how bad the Jets offense is going to be next week.

Tebow could die, but he'd just come back three days later.

:lol:

I think I'm going to be sick. Blah. What a terrible, terrible game. Lackluster play in every aspect. It's like they managed to forget how to play football during the bye. This is why you don't give people days off, BB!

Jim Harbaugh gave his guys 6 days off. I mean, it was the Browns, and Isaac Sopoaga had to unleash his inner Brent Jones, but still...

...wait, what?!

Might we have a new Mad Genius here?

The Patriots make a mockery of defense.

Granted, that defense is their own, but they make a mockery of it.

The Steelers today ran up 29 first downs; they put up 427 yards of total offense; they held the ball for 40 minutes (v. 20 min for the Pats). The Steelers had five scoring of 11, 16, 10, 14 and 11 plays. The Steelers converted 10-of-16 third downs. The Steelers only had THREE drives that were less than 10 plays….

• The INT
  • The Drive that ended the first half;
  • Their last drive where they were running time off the clock.

The last two were simply to kill the clock. The Steelers punted ONCE (their last legit drive that gave the Pats the ball back with :26 seconds).

The Pats O needed to score more points (I feel like John Madden right now, “Well, the team that scores the most points will win”). But when you cannot get the opposing team off the field; when they consistently convert on third down; when you have no secondary and no dependable pass-rusher; when your entire game-plan is, in effect, “Bet Brady Scores 50” you have absolutely no chance of long-term success. None.

The offense was less-than stellar, but the O never had the ball (40 min to 20 min is deplorable; no game this week-end, so far, had that type of disparity). The Pats had 19 first downs of their own- not a terrible number. But when you give up 29 on the other end? What’s the hope there? How can this team assemble any long-term success if they cannot assemble a D? I mean, Brady and the O scored 17 points (should have been 20, but that’s all academic). Do more; I get that (then again, as I always say, the opposing players get paid to). But the D has to do more than just hope they can force a turnover and get tough in the red zone (the D played well in the Red Zone).

The Patriots will make the playoffs. They may win a game. But they have no chance of doing anything if they cannot stop anyone.

Other games:

-When can we agree that Tim Tebow sucks? When can we just stop this façade? When will the media just stop this “He just wins” bullshit? Get me a date, let’s crunch some numbers and let’s just all agree that a guy who completes less than 50% of his passes and looks horrible out there is not the Answer. Is it 3 losses in a row to teams with winning records? Is it less than 30% completion rate? Is it a QB rating less than his number? Work with me here: give me a line so I know when we can all stop.

-Okay so, let’s get this next one out of the way as quickly as possible so I don’t start a revolt: Curtis Painter’s line:

26/49 250 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs. Some stated afterwards that it was the greatest performance by a back-up QB for a team once run by a super-human with an aging defense and a brain-dead head coach (seriously- that’s the argument at this point). (If you have more time, put their lines side-by-side and start a debate: “Who had a worse day: Tebow or Painter?” This thread really is, for me, the gift that keeps on giving). But I ave stated this many times: the entire Colts organization sucks.

-Once again, it bears repeating: the 49’ers are legit.

-Once again, it bears repeating:the Dolphins are, once again, throwing games. (Okay, not really. I just find it incredible that they play decent for 3 quarters and then implode).

-Somewhere there is a frat-guy with a thing for neck-beards out there going, “Bench Orton?! Bench Sexy Rexy?! See what happens when you get rid of the Glory Boys?!?!?” The Redskins are an astoundingly bad team. 0 points. And their O didn’t look THAT good.

-Cam Newton and Christian Ponder played like animals. Can this be a real rivalry? Come on! Let’s make this happen. I think Ponder is legit; I think he is a starter in the NFL for years to come. I think he’s playing great, and because he’s not Donovan McNabb, I like the guy (yes, I am that petty). Oh, and Adrian Peterson is very good.

-Ravens offense bounced back by playing a terrible team. Well done guys.

So, yeah I am only made happier by other people’s failure. I am a sad, strange little man.

Seriously kal: that would be my sig if you take that Painter bet. “I am a sad, strange little man made happy only by the failures of others.”

You are not correct here. It is certainly conceivable that a defense could be designed to generate turnovers even at the risk of giving up big plays more often. Such a team might blitz a lot, invest little in defensive backs and take a lot of chances, relying on a superb offense to outscore an opponent. There have been Manning-led Colts teams that had offenses sufficiently dangerous that such a scheme was at least theoretically possible.

I am not saying that any current team is so constructed. But such a defensive scheme is well within the realm of possibility and it could probably be at the very least argued that some historical teams played this way. While one could argue that 'generating turnovers' is the same as 'stopping a team from scoring', I'd say the distinction is both real and significant. So I would NOT say that all NFL defenses are designed to keep the other team from scoring.

Well played. For a moment there, I thought that you were going to say something serious... :)

Tebow could die, but he'd just come back three days later.

HA!

I'm a Tebow fan, just because I think that he's a good guy, and that comment made my day.

Disclaimer: I just said that I'm a Tebow fan. That does not mean that I "think that he's good". For example; I'm a Colts fan, you'll not hear me tell you that the Colts are anything more than a steaming pile of shit.

Didn't the new CBA change the rules about how much teams are allowed to practice during the bye week? I'm pretty sure it did, and its clearly making teams rusty. I'm terrified of how bad the Jets offense is going to be next week.

Yeah, I think that they're only allowed to practice like 2 days during the actual bye week. And I think that the Jets will be fine. Buffalo is a much improved team, but the last time that they faced a team like the Jets (it was the Bengals), they lost.

The Eagles look really rusty after their bye. ;)

I think I have heard that 'post-bye teams are losers this year' stat literally 14 times since this afternoon. In which time I've watched the 49ers, while they were falling asleep during the 2nd half until they stretched the field with a DE out of the TE position, win and the Eagles take a 21 point lead over the Cowboys.

I would almost welcome more 'Suck for Luck' commentary at this point.

ETA: Good to see a Cleveland 1st round pick doing well tonight though. Too bad he was wearing Red and Gold.

Edit2: Why does Rob Ryan look so much cooler than Rex Ryan? For two goofy looking fat guys with (suspiciously) the same last name, Rex looks like a doofus, while Rob looks badass. What's the deal? Maybe they look similar in some weird natural coincidence.

Or maybe it's just the hair.

Strangely, right now the Cowboys look exactly like a team the 49ers should not lose to. While the Eagles could give them pause. Yet the opposite has already happened.

The Dolphins imploded. But to the Giants. Every team does that. Or feasts on them. I don't consider them 'team manic-depressive' for no reason.

Washington...

Baltimore? What the hell?

Seattle was recently in the Superbowl.

So was Arizona.

AJ Feely makes the Rams good again? Er, no.

So bring on Pittsburgh when that game probably doesn't matter to either team!

This is a weird year to be a 49ers fan.

Strangely, right now the Cowboys look exactly like a team the 49ers should not lose to. While the Eagles could give them pause. Yet the opposite has already happened.

This is a weird year to be a 49ers fan.

Not so strange when you think about it. They had Dallas beat and they were getting crushed by the Eagles.

I'll take weird. Weird is good.

Archived