Unpopular Opinions V

brashcandy

I have two siblings with schizophrenia . it's not a beautiful mind and shouldn't people accept them for who they are and isn't ignorance terrible... it's horror and paranoia and fear, for one of them it ended in suicide. It was heartbreaking for my father, his first wife and my mother.

What kind of irresponsible c''t would I be to inflict that on my children? I want the best for my children and I expect other people to want the same for theirs.

I want them to do well in school and have friends. I would like my children to be a source of pride to me and able to contribute to society.

if that makes me an evil person... then i am willing to be considered evil so that my children lead happy lives.

Then this news should tickle your cockles:

Deaf Couple choose to have deaf child

Apparently they did so, so that the child can be like them.

Marvellous... mayhaps. I find it repugnant.

They should be more different. Like why don't they speak Welsh? In Henry VIII's time people still spoke Welsh in Putney, so why don't the Dornish speak Rhoynish? and the Northerners speak the Old Tongue and the Iron Islanders speak the another variety of Old Tongue? It makes no sense that a continent of that size should be so uniform.

(although it is really inconvenient to write "and then character X said in Rhoynish which character G translated into common")

Seriously Westeros is like an overlarge England the way it's written.

Well, we certainly have cases of giant countries like Brazil or USA where everybody speaks the same language, so it's not far-fetched.

Agreed. My problem with the Dornish is that they're all written a bit like caricatures - there's the flamboyant, sexually risque, incredibly irresistible Oberyn, along with the equally sexified, dangerous Sandsnakes, who are all just so rebellious! and then we go to the complete opposite extreme in Doran Martell - sedate, cautious to a fault, and a chronic procrastinator. Of his two children that we get to meet only Arianne was able to hold my interest because I find her to be a little Cersei-ish ;), but Quentyn was thoroughly ho-hum. I'm just not a fan of the Dornish.

Agreed on the caricature aspect. Initially, I accepted Oberyn as he was when it was just him and I found his stories of Elia really interesting. Oberyn really was interesting, I found him mysterious and I wish we had learned more of him before he died.

However, once we got a look at Dorne, the sand snakes and Doran, I had the same impression as you. Oberyn was ruined in my eyes. Even Doran's bodyguard, what was his name? Hotah or something? He too doesn't seem to have any depth or dimension to him.

I like Arriane as well, and I see what you mean about similarities between her and Cersei. But whereas Cersei uses sex as just a tool, Arriane seems to really enjoy the sex while she uses it as a tool. She is also more naive, and has a sweeter disposition. She seems to be genuinely upset by the deaths/injuries that her actions caused, which is completely different from Cersei.

In general, I completely agree with you, I find the Dornish quite boring :).

Even Doran's bodyguard, what was his name? Hotah or something? He too doesn't seem to have any depth or dimension to him.

I actually find the Dornish quite fun to read about in all of their over-the-top glory. Especially Oberyn, who I always imagine saying everything with the same voice and inflection as that cat in the new Puss In Boots movie, you know, the one with Antonio Banderas.

But I do agree about Areo Hotah. His character jumped the shark for me when I got to the part about him literally sleeping with his axe. What.

I actually find the Dornish quite fun to read about in all of their over-the-top glory. Especially Oberyn, who I always imagine saying everything with the same voice and inflection as that cat in the new Puss In Boots movie, you know, the one with Antonio Banderas.

But I do agree about Areo Hotah. His character jumped the shark for me when I got to the part about him literally sleeping with his axe. What.

I liked Oberyn when it was just him!

I seriously need to acquire an axe like that for when the nights get lonely! :lol:

Then this news should tickle your cockles:

Deaf Couple choose to have deaf child

Apparently they did so, so that the child can be like them.

Marvellous... mayhaps. I find it repugnant.

I find the decision to deliberately produce a disabled child when the parents could improve their odds of having a physically normal child to be very sad. Also, they will probably use taxpayer-funded services to help their deaf child cope in a world where the majority of humans have hearing in both their ears, at least during childhood and most of adulthood. However, I would hate to see any government interfering in parental decisions as to what kind of child, as in what kind of sperm doner, fertility procedure, whatever, people want to have. Even if I think that it is foolish and sad to deprive a human, before its birth, of even part of a faculty as important as hearing, in the name of any culture.

Unpopular opinions:

Oberyn Martell is a jackass and I was delighted/relieved when ser gregor smashed his skull in

His daughters are if anything worse and I wish Doran kept them in cells for the rest of their lives.

I see we think alike on this AC :cheers:

His daughters are if anything worse and I wish Doran kept them in cells for the rest of their lives.

Unleash the Sand Snakes! ;) Seriously, I can't be the only looking forward to watching them wreak havoc in the next book now that they've been loosed. Lady Nym at court and Tyene with the High Septon... this will be glorious.

Unpopular opinions:

I like Dorne a lot. I think Arianne should have been the only Dornish POV, but I still love that whole subplot.

Oberyn Martell makes my skin crawl and while I enjoy his character, I don't get the sex appeal with the readership.

Doran Martell can't plot his way out of a paper bag.

I can't wait for Doran to die from his infirmities so that Arianne can take control of Dorne. That will be a great turn.

Arianne Martell is one of my favorite characters in the series.

Unleash the Sand Snakes! ;) Seriously, I can't be the only looking forward to watching them wreak havoc in the next book now that they've been loosed. Lady Nym at court and Tyene with the High Septon... this will be glorious.

Yes! I was expecting their father to cause chaos and he did nothing spectacular except die, so I am hopeful they make up for his failure.

Unpopular opinions:

I can't wait for Doran to die from his infirmities so that Arianne can take control of Dorne. That will be a great turn.

Arianne Martell is one of my favorite characters in the series.

This, too.

Oberyn Martell is a jackass and I was delighted/relieved when ser gregor smashed his skull in

I think the only reason I don't feel the same way is because I just can't take him seriously. He's such an over-the-top, cartoonish character. I don't like him, but I do enjoy reading about him, because he makes me snicker. Which is not at all the reaction GRRM was going for, I'm sure, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining for me.

Incidentally, I feel the same way about the Sand Snakes. Except for Tyene. She just creeps me out. O.O

Even if I think that it is foolish and sad to deprive a human, before its birth, of even part of a faculty as important as hearing, in the name of any culture.

The couple should have been stopped even before they got half way to there and warned that if they produced the said child - the child protection services would step in and take said child away.

In my mind, its no better than birthing the baby and than deliberately harming the child so as to create the desire effect that the parents want.

I'd go so far as to lock the two women up until such time that they agree to some serious psychological counseling. What kind of parent would deliberately seek the worse possible outcome for their offspring?

Deliberately creating a physically defective child is absolutely abhorent imho.

I don't understand why Oberyn is so popular at all. Yeah, he was an awesome character, but he wasn't even a character for very long. But the love for him is just baffling.

Partly because he beat the crap out of Gregor aka the Mountain that liked to rape and torture women and children. Anyone who kicks the stuffings out of that sort of criminal gets a big tick in my book.

And he fought the monster because Gregor had raped and murdered his beloved sister.

Lyvyathan, I entirely agree with you about the "deliberate" part of the equation and the sentiments you express with regard to it, but I personally would rather not discuss it in this thread unless we are talking about Westeros. As I've said already, it is a sore spot for me and other boarders have indicated the same. Better if we talk here about attitudes in fictional Westeros and leave our real world out of it, at least with sensitive things like this. Maybe a thread in Gen Chat is in order if others really want to discuss it?

Partly because he beat the crap out of Gregor aka the Mountain that liked to rape and torture women and children. Anyone who kicks the stuffings out of that sort of criminal gets a big tick in my book.

And he fought the monster because Gregor had raped and murdered his beloved sister.

Yeah, he killed the mountain (for a little while, anyway), but that's just one thing before he kicked the can. He's such a one hit wonder and it's so odd.

Yeah, he killed the mountain (for a little while, anyway), but that's just one thing before he kicked the can. He's such a one hit wonder and it's so odd.

I can understand why he's remembered for sure - that was a pretty big deal taking down the Mountain - but I don't understand the love for the character himself. Ah well!

I can understand why he's remembered for sure - that was a pretty big deal taking down the Mountain - but I don't understand the love for the character himself. Ah well!

I can't say I loved him, but after the build up he got from Tyrion, I was expecting a lot! And didn't get much. I wanted drunken debauchery with lots of people at court getting poisoned.

For me, I just thought he was pretty awesome and amazing throughout the whole fight with the Mountain. From him nonchalantly drinking wine beforehand through his awesomeness during the fight (taunting Gregor and toying with him for the majority of the battle) he just comes across as a very memorably awesome character.

Archived