Unpopular Opinions V

brashcandy

If Oberyn had survived, then Tyrion wouldn't have been forced into exile at pain of his life.

The Oberyne scene I genuinely did like is when he was interrogating Tyrion in the dungeons about Elia's death, and the respective roles of Lorch, Gregor, and Tywin. That was a very nicely done scene. I also rather liked seeing him and Ellaria talking to Tyrion and Sansa after Joffrey cut up their wedding gift.

I liked it when he said he wouldn't want Cersei in his bed even if she was dumped naked through the canopy on top of him (...or something? I don't have my book to check, but whatever he said, it was funny). I know Cersei has her fans here, but I'm not one of them, so I was amused.

I liked it when he said he wouldn't want Cersei in his bed even if she was dumped naked through the canopy on top of him (...or something? I don't have my book to check, but whatever he said, it was funny). I know Cersei has her fans here, but I'm not one of them, so I was amused.

He said that he'd rather have a ton of scorpions fall onto him in his bed than the queen in all her naked beauty. :lol: I am a Cersei fan and I still thought that was hilarious. Especially since Tywin wanted to get back at the Tyrells for rejecting her by marrying her to Oberyn.

He said that he'd rather have a ton of scorpions fall onto him in his bed than the queen in all her naked beauty. :lol: I am a Cersei fan and I still thought that was hilarious. Especially since Tywin wanted to get back at the Tyrells for rejecting her by marrying her to Oberyn.

Oh right! :lol: Thanks! And yes, the irony... :D

Oberyn died for our sins.

He would be my favorite character if he hadn't died so quick.

Also, I still blame Doran for his death. He got himself killed because Doran didn't get rid of Gregor like he should have years ago. They had like a decade and a half for assassination attempts. & it's not like Tywin would fight a war over a Clegane.

Unpopular opinion: I find Jaime superior to Tyrion in almost every way. I think he's funnier, and even though he's done a lot of terrible things, I find him a lot more likable. He's one of a kind. Like he says, there's only him, which is not surprising considering you probably won't find any other handless lords in Westeros with a golden prosthetic.

it's not like Tywin would fight a war over a Clegane.

He might have, though maybe not openly. I couldn't see Tywin letting something like that go completely unpunished.

yet another example of Tywin being kind of blind...

Oberyn was a fun character before AFFC. Then we learn things about him that made me dislike him. But prior to AFFC I really liked him and was gutted when the Mountain killed him.

I also liked the stuff he said about Elia and the past, I found it very interesting. He offered us a window into the past. I also thought he was awesome in taking down the Mountain.

Yeah, he killed the mountain (for a little while, anyway), but that's just one thing before he kicked the can. He's such a one hit wonder and it's so odd.

But GRRM invested the character with a lot of detail and elan. He's like that bit of a stained glass that shines brightly... like a comet that blazes through the sky.

Oberyn is the one character I think that could have stayed alive without necessarily changing too much of the story, and could be used later. Tyrion could still have killed Tywin, with Jaime's reveal and Shae in his bed, and him being alive after helping Tyrion would add to Cersei's paranoia.

No, he was there as "the shooting star" effect - a character that burns brightly for a couple of chapters, reveals key information, then dies unexpectedly.

How many other readers were really surprised when OB got killed by Mountain?

I like that. Surprise.

Also, I still blame Doran for his death. He got himself killed because Doran didn't get rid of Gregor like he should have years ago. They had like a decade and a half for assassination attempts. & it's not like Tywin would fight a war over a Clegane.

If they killed Gregor, the man who was, after all, following orders, it would mean that they are coming after Tywin as well.

If they killed Gregor, the man who was, after all, following orders, it would mean that they are coming after Tywin as well.

They did kill Gregor though. They just happened to do it years later. The Lannisters seemed to think that Gregor's death would satisfy them.

They did kill Gregor though. They just happened to do it years later. The Lannisters seemed to think that Gregor's death would satisfy them.

This is yet another reason why I think Tywin is quite like Cersei. Tywin was very good at plotting and is a great military strategist but when he actually became the King's Hand again and effectively Regent, he began to make stupid judgment calls and errors (not on Cersei levels, but he was still setting his House up for a difficult future).

Tywin has definitely underestimated a few people. The situation that happened was worse because Gregor confessed in public then also killed Oberyn. Tywin and co. continued to think that Doran/Dorne wouldn't ever be a problem.

He made errors with LF and the Tyrells too. His worst was with Tyrion though.

Allowing gregor to champion cersei was foolish though, he should have got balon swann or someone like that to do it.

Wai, wait, wait wait. You just made me think of something! In AFFC Cersei says somewhere that only the Kingsguard can act as Champions for kings or queens. It's after Margaery is accused and locked up, and Cersei has it planned out that the only two kingsguard left in KL are Boros Blount and Meryn Trant. Then I think Qyburn asks Cersei after she's locked up by the high septon if she wants someone who cannot be defeated in battle (im assuming Ungregor) and she says again that it can only be members of the Kingsguard. BUT when Tyrion was on trial Gregor was acting as champion for her. Am I missing something or was Gregor allowed to be champion because Cersei wasn't the one who was actually on trial?

Archived