Unpopular Opinions V

brashcandy

Tysha's reaction wasn't mentioned for a couple of reasons. One, Tyrion had already written her off as a whore who betrayed him, based on Jaime and Tywin's lie, so he wasn't looking to see if she was upset. Two, Tyrion is spectacularly self-absorbed and doesn't spend much time thinking of anyone's misery but his own; he was too busy thinking about the wrong done to him to spare a thought for what Tysha might have been going through.

The fact her reaction wasn't mentioned is proof of nothing. Try again. Or not.

This is the same guy that risked his life to protect Alayala (threatened Tommen), and Sansa, and risked his status as hand for Shae (bringing her to KL, getting her a spot as Lolly's assistant, etc...) I don't think he's as self absorbed as everyone makes him out to be.

Tyrion himself called it rape.

In GoT? I may have read that a little to quickly then. I'm fine with being proven wrong, I just read it as Tywin gave her a silver for each guard she banged, so she banged them all.

Here's an unfavorable opinion I don't think I've shared... Tysha was a gold digging whore. No where in the book (at least that I've found, someone can prove me wrong if they wish) does it state she was horribly upset about the whole barracks gangbang that happened. Tyrion was tore up, but Tysha left with a ton of money, and didn't seem too upset about the whole deal. Maybe not literally a whore, but she was.

Wow, nice one, calling a 13-year-old who was gang raped a whore. I don't think you will find many women who would think 'a ton of money' is adequate compensation for being gang raped.

I just read it as Tywin gave her a silver for each guard she banged, so she banged them all.

Are you kidding me? Jesus some people scare me. She wasn't given a choice in the 'banging' and she was given the money to humiliate her, not as a reward.

This is the same guy that risked his life to protect Alayala (threatened Tommen), and Sansa, and risked his status as hand for Shae (bringing her to KL, getting her a spot as Lolly's assistant, etc...) I don't think he's as self absorbed as everyone makes him out to be.

No, I agree that Tyrion is capable of being kind (...though I'd disagree with the examples you chose). We see a lot of that early in the series. But when he's feeling betrayed or wronged, he tends to forget everything except his own feelings of being hard done by. He has a habit of falling into fits of self-pity and not being able to consider the feelings of anyone else. Look at his sulking over the fact that Sansa wouldn't kneel at their wedding rather than considering her side of things*, and the way he later commented that her grief after the Red Wedding "only made her more beautiful." Tyrion likes to wallow in self-pity, and he'd already decided to believe Jaime's lie that she was a whore. I highly doubt he was considering Tysha's feelings on the matter.

And even so, just because Tyrion doesn't spell out for the reader that Tysha looked upset does not mean that she wasn't. I mean, it's kind of a given. Or it should be. The assumption that she was totally fine with it just because Tyrion doesn't say, in capital letters, TYSHA LOOKED SO UPSET, is kind of... flabbergasting, to put it nicely.

* I understand why Tyrion was upset about that, but Sansa had some pretty damn good reasons for not kneeling, and Tyrion never once stopped feeling sorry for himself long enough to recognize it.

Here's an unfavorable opinion I don't think I've shared...

Tysha was a gold digging whore. No where in the book (at least that I've found, someone can prove me wrong if they wish) does it state she was horribly upset about the whole barracks gangbang that happened. Tyrion was tore up, but Tysha left with a ton of money, and didn't seem too upset about the whole deal.

Maybe not literally a whore, but she was.

Writing from your cell in Goulburn goal are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilal_Skaf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashfield_gang_rapes

I know Genna was appreciative of Tywin speaking up for her with respect to the marriage to Emmon, but I'm not so sureit's inconsistent with the attitudes we see from Tywin as an adult. Tytos agreeing to a marriage of his only daughter to a younger son of Walder Frey was just another example of Tytos showing weakness (note the reactions from Lord Reyne and Ellen Tarbeck [he left the hall in anger and she laughed out loud]). It may have had more to do with Tywin standing up for Lannister pride and opposing another of Tytos' "follies" than any desire to protect his sister or her feelings.

Oh I don't disagree. He certainly doesn't like being laughed at, so that is consistent with his overall character. But I thought perhaps his attitude towards women was something developed later in life. We know that one of the few times he ever smiled was when he married Joanna. It doesn't fit with the general outlook he has towards women.

The way he seems to enjoy sexually abusing women seems to be something psychological. I am going to go out on a limb and say that maybe he discovered Joanna had betrayed him at some point in their marriage. One does not doubt that one's wife has cheated just because one has a dwarf for a son. If he knows that Joanna had never cheated before, why would he assume that she cheated with someone just to make Tyrion. Unless, he has proof of her infidelity in the past. Which might explain the way he treats women, if he had truly loved her. If there has never been a history of infidelity then he is dishonoring her memory by making such an accusation and that means he never loved her.

Tywin and Joanna's marriage is too flowery for me to like. There is more to it. The best marriage so far that we know of was Ned's and Cat's and that was riddled with problems as well. There is more than meets the eye here.

But Tywin never accused his wife of cheating, that we know of at least.

I should have worded what I meant in a different manner. What I meant to say is that the accusation is implied when he tells Tyrion he is not sure if he is really his son. I mean if he doubts that Tyrion is his son that immediately suggests that Joanna must have slept with someone else. If Joanna has no history of infidelity then he is dishonoring her memory by implying such a thing.

OTH, if he is implying such a thing then perhaps Joanna does have a record of infidelity and Tywin knows this. Which would explain why he uses sexual humiliation on women.

ETA: Just wanted to add that if Joanna did cheat on Tywin and Tywin knew, then this whole image of a lovey-dovey marriage a bloody sham which is something I suspect.

And anyway, no one ever denied that Tywin's men were the murderers, so a witness wouldn't have changed anything.

I think Tyrion says at somepoint that it was common knowledge in the Westerlands, but Tywin, when talking about Oberyn, says the man only has rumours and suspicions. Had Elia lived, she would have gone back to Dorne and told them exactly what happened. As it was there was nearly war between Robert and Doran.

From what I remember, at least how I read it, Tyrion basically said "Tywin gave Tysha a silver for each guard, and had me pay her a gold coin afterwards, when she left, her hands were overflowing with coin." I dunno, I just never got the impression it was rape. Dirty, wrong, yes. Rape? Dunno.

On his wedding night Tyrion describes Tysha's coat of arms as "one gold coin and a hundred silver upon a bloody sheet". The bloody sheet reference suggests it was especially brutal. Certainly not her being a whore.

Also I don't think she was Gold-digging, Tyrion had been her rescuer, and was kind to her. It is not difficult to imagine her loving him for that alone, even if he hadn't been anyone important. That she had the son of a great house fall in love with her and marry her would have bowled her over completely and seemed like something out of a fairytale......well for two weeks at least.

The Tyrion/Tysha episode is one of the saddest in the series.

Tysha was a gold digging whore. No where in the book (at least that I've found, someone can prove me wrong if they wish) does it state she was horribly upset about the whole barracks gangbang that happened. Tyrion was tore up, but Tysha left with a ton of money, and didn't seem too upset about the whole deal.

You're right about one thing: we know nothing about Tysha's state of mind during the rape and after, we can only guess. Furthermore, we know very little about Tysha as a person. A poor girl in her early teens, that's more or less all we know for a fact. And from those scarce clues you brilliantly deduce that she was a gold digging whore, who didn't mind getting raped by a whole regiment, if it meant getting one silver stag per "customer". Basically, you assume a girl is a whore until proven otherwise.

Gods, how I regret I don't have a daughter you could date. You sound like a real prince.

My skin crawled when I read this statement.

She was 13. THIRTEEN. Even if things were different in Westeros (i.e. kids were more mature at an earlier age than nowadays) she was still only THIRTEEN. That's not NEARLY old enough to be so jaded and knocked down by life to be a GOLD DIGGING WHORE. She was poor yes, but if I was a poor 13 year old girl, I would be dreaming and hoping more than anything that I could marry a good man who could help provide for and take care of me.

A thirteen-year-old GOLD DIGGING WHORE. I bet you would argue that she's a slut for sleeping with Tyrion on the first day she met him, and that she was asking for it when the gang rape happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Tywin was justified in killing the Targaryan children.

Renly would have made a terrible king because he was gay. (How would he have heirs? Would he switch Loras with Margary right before an orgasm?)

Melisandre is one of the most noble characters.

Your position on Renly is nonsensical. Stannis is heterosexual and only has Shireen. Renly made it quite clear that he was willing to perform his duties with Margaery, something that Stannis isn't willing to do with Selyse.

Melisandre - noble? :lmao:

Tywin was justified in killing the Targaryan children.

Renly would have made a terrible king because he was gay. (How would he have heirs? Would he switch Loras with Margary right before an orgasm?)

Melisandre is one of the most noble characters.

Oh god the second one cracked me up hard, but why is Tywin justified in murdering children? = /

Here's some more:

Sir Robert Strong is just some big mute guy that everyone is misunderstanding.

Dany is a good person and has been through probably more than anyone else in this series does not deserve 99.99% of her hate.

Your position on Renly is nonsensical. Stannis is heterosexual and only has Shireen. Renly made it quite clear that he was willing to perform his duties with Margaery, something that Stannis isn't willing to do with Selyse.

Melisandre - noble? :lmao:

It's not like she's out for personal gain. She's doing what she believes is right, whether or not she is correct is a different matter.

Archived