Latest Game of Thrones Teaser

Westeros

They might be showing Renly's wedding, in which case they may show Highgarden.

I hope not .. unless they consulted GRRM thoroughly beforehand. We haven't been at Highgarden in the books. Just some talk about flowers by Margaery to Sansa.

I hope not .. unless they consulted GRRM thoroughly beforehand. We haven't been at Highgarden in the books.

I don't think that is a problem. GRRM can easily give them info. OTOH, I don't think we'll see Highgarden in order to save them adding another location. Probably introduce Renly and Margarey when they are already on the march north. Might even have the wedding ceremony there.

The opening sequence should include (not necessarily in all the episodes): the Wall (but maybe show beyond it), Qarth, Dragonstone, King's Landing, Winterfell, Storm's End, Harrenhal, Riverrun (fingers crossed), Pyke. There is no reason to include Highgarden, as we first see Renly's host at Bitterbridge, and that is only in one chapter.

Makes sense, except for probably Riverrun. E1 will probably have the Wall, Dragonstone, Kings Landing, Winterfell and the Dothraki sea (just to give Dany some location for now). It will be very interesting to see if they change the Wall to beyond the Wall. Craster's Keep doesn't have the same imagery.

Does that mean they'll end with the Prologue of ASoS? Now that would be mean...

pffft, they only dumped half of aCoK into the episode of s1, wouldn't put it past them to roll bits of aSoS into s2's ending too (there needs to be more motivation for Stannis's lil Wall fieldtrip after all)

The opening sequence should include (not necessarily in all the episodes): the Wall (but maybe show beyond it), Qarth, Dragonstone, King's Landing, Winterfell, Storm's End, Harrenhal, Riverrun (fingers crossed), Pyke. There is no reason to include Highgarden, as we first see Renly's host at Bitterbridge, and that is only in one chapter.

I'm gonna guess The Wall, King's Landing and Winterfell will still be present just as before. Harrenhal & Pyke may pop in halfway thru the season for couple episodes. (speaking of Pyke... serious lack of my fav kraken-wolf & ironborn in trailer!)

Qarth might start from 3rd episode and be fixed to the end (maybe the damn map location of that place will finally make sense! Its been the damn Bermuda Triangle of locations in my head)

Riverrun or Bitterbridge may make one-shot appearance (just like Frey's castle only shows up once in s1) NO HIGHGARDEN! at all

They might be showing Renly's wedding, in which case they may show Highgarden.

I highly doubt it. With only 10 hours and a limited budget, HBO is going to have enough trouble fitting all the necessary parts of aCoK into the season, I dont think theres a chance in hell that theyre going to go out of their way to add in expensive scenes that werent even in the book.

Riverrun was important in the first book and they didnt even show it, so of course they arent going to show Highgarden, which we still haven't seen 5 books in.

Well not Highgarden, but I hope we see some wedding scene of Renly and Margarey, as it's easier and better to show than tell. Plus, it'd would synch well with the latter evolution of Margarey's character arc. I can already see the screen caps and youtube videos.

Plus, they are adding already a lot of scenes not in the book, with the whole Robb in the West with Jeyne Arc. (but of course, GRRM would have written that as well if he had written ACOK now and not all these years ago... See all the travelogues from ADWD)

of course, GRRM would have written that as well if he had written ACOK now and not all these years ago... See all the travelogues from ADWD.

That doesn't work as a comparator.

There were travelogues in aDwD because people happened to be travelling long distances. Not because GRRM thought travelogues were cool in themselves. But you can easily point at the same features in other books. Arya spent 2 books travelling. Bran spend aSoS travelling etc.

And GRRM has always cut out stuff that happened elsewhere. Loras' foray on Dragonstone in aFfC. What happened to Rickon in aSoS/aDwD etc. Robb wasn't shown because he didn't want to spend 3 books on a character who was going to soon die. He already did that with Ned.

I enjoyed the preview. To echo a few things-- I think Stannis's voice is great, and Stephen Dilane looks awesome as Stannis.

I also think the tag line "the cold winds are rising" is actually pretty cool, however, I've read a few comments online from people who find it lame.

On minor complaint-- I could have done with less scenery shots/ fancy graphics, more actual shots from the upcoming season. And I must admit, I found the shot where Joff and Sansa "dissolve" to be kind of cheesy. Though perhaps I simply have no taste....

Seeing Selyse standing next to Stannis keeps the hope alive that we will get some reeky Reeds...

Really? That's interesting to me. I just assumed that the woman standing next to Stan in the brief shot in the preview was Melisandre.

I rewound it a few times and paused it on the image... and it still looks like Mel. The curly texture of the hair, the pretty, fair skin, the straight nose, and the profile... all look exactly like Carice Van Houten as Mel.

Plus, the woman standing next to Stan in the promo looks quite attractive (though it is impossible to tell truly from the brief and blurry shot), which Queen Selyse very clearly is not. Or perhaps David and Dan, who seem a lot less critical of/ cruel about/ preocupied with the appearances of women than the books do simply decided to go with a Selyse who was attractive enough but had a lousy personality due to her religious fanaticism. I admit, I've found all the emphasis on Selyse's physical appearance, not to mention the cruel, mocking way she is portrayed, to be rather tacky. Much like the extensive emphasis on Lysa Arryn's weight gain and sagging breasts in the novels. In the first season D and D appeared to focus on Lysa's nuttiness, rather than her physical unattractiveness. It would be cool if they did the same here, rather than repeat GRRM's rather insensitive, cruel picture of the character.

Sorry, getting off topic, but i was just interested as to whether Selyse was going to be a character. Last I heard, she was not, and was not listed in the official casting for season one. If she isn't cast, it will give the character of Stannis (and his sexual relationship with Mel) a whole different feel for me. Him cheating on his wife with a hot young mistress has always seemed like a pretty major piece of hypocrisy to me, but if there is no Selyses in the equation, my view would be quite different. Also Shireen seems essiential, since, IMO, Stannis is TOTALLY going to end up burning her.

So, any thoughts-- is the woman in the preview by Stannis really Selyse? Or is she Mel?

I highly doubt it. With only 10 hours and a limited budget, HBO is going to have enough trouble fitting all the necessary parts of aCoK into the season, I dont think theres a chance in hell that theyre going to go out of their way to add in expensive scenes that werent even in the book.

Riverrun was important in the first book and they didnt even show it, so of course they arent going to show Highgarden, which we still haven't seen 5 books in.

If they show Highgarden they would have had to cast a bunch of other Tyrells. How can they show Maergary's wedding yet have only one of her many brothers show up? Mace and his wife haven't been cast, neither have Queen of Thornes or Ser Garlan or the other one who lives at Highgarden I can't recall his name

I think it would be pretty stupid to show Margaery marrying the "King" yet have her parents and brothers and other family not bother to show up

As for Riverrun- are they going to have it in season 2? It looked like Jaime was in a dungeon from the teaser...

I mean I thought it was pretty stupid how they had Jaime tied up outside with 1 guard watching him while he was far away from everyone else...

And I must admit, I found the shot where Joff and Sansa "dissolve" to be kind of cheesy.

It reminded me of the leeches in aSoS, so I liked it.

So, any thoughts-- is the woman in the preview by Stannis really Selyse? Or is she Mel?

I guess you are right and she is Mel. I'm sure Stannis will still be married in S2. We'll just not see his wife. Or daughter, yet.

If they show Highgarden they would have had to cast a bunch of other Tyrells. How can they show Maergary's wedding yet have only one of her many brothers show up?

Well they could briefly show the wedding and include a big crowd of people celebrating. We can then assume that Margarey's family is there, without actually seeing them. Although, I don't think we'll see the wedding.

It doesn't seem that we will see Riverrun. Did Jaime seem to be in a dungeon? I fear he may be brought along with Robb. I had an idea a while back that the siege of Riverrun may not be broken until S3. That explains why Catelyn and Robb don't go there. And we don't see Edmure.

I mean I thought it was pretty stupid how they had Jaime tied up outside with 1 guard watching him while he was far away from everyone else...

In fairness, i'm sure we can assume that there were a lot more people around. One guard might be very close to Jaime but there are bound to be more keeping watch.

It reminded me of the leeches in aSoS, so I liked it.

I guess you are right and she is Mel. I'm sure Stannis will still be married in S2. We'll just not see his wife. Or daughter, yet.

Well they could briefly show the wedding and include a big crowd of people celebrating. We can then assume that Margarey's family is there, without actually seeing them. Although, I don't think we'll see the wedding.

It doesn't seem that we will see Riverrun. Did Jaime seem to be in a dungeon? I fear he may be brought along with Robb. I had an idea a while back that the siege of Riverrun may not be broken until S3. That explains why Catelyn and Robb don't go there. And we don't see Edmure.

In fairness, i'm sure we can assume that there were a lot more people around. One guard might be very close to Jaime but there are bound to be more keeping watch.

I hope we see Riverrun... Or at least acknowledge that the siege is broken... I may be just nitpicking, but it wouldn't make sense for Robb to go west and threaten the Lannister homeland if Riverrun, his grandfather's castle, was still under siege. I think I just want to see the Blackfish thats why I'm annoyed by the lack of Tullys/Riverrrun

I would be so happy if he was cast secretly and popped up

The woman next to Stannis has to be Selyse, she's not wearing anything red and her hair seems to be brown but its really hard to tell, also from the brief shot of Mel from the other video her haistyle was different from that of the woman in the teaser.

I doubt they will show anything from the wedding or high garden, they will most likely only mention the wedding in conversation mentioning (to stannis) that renly has we'd Margery and thereby rallied the strength of highgarden to his side

Edit: please forgive my stupid autocorrects

t it wouldn't make sense for Robb to go west and threaten the Lannister homeland if Riverrun, his grandfather's castle, was still under siege.

Well, i'm not sure. If Riverrun is under no risk of falling, there is no desperate need to relieve it. In the previous war, Robert let Storm's End under siege for a year because it couldn't fall easily. Riverrun is a very well fortified castle with ready access to water and food (i.e. fish). I'd prefer the way it is done in the books but its the most plausible explanation for why we don't see Riverrun in S2. And why Jaime might end up with Robb rather than in a dungeon in Riverrun.

It might not happen that way of course but I would be surprised if they can think up a better explanation. As for the Blackfish. Yes...looks very bleak for him.

I expect we'll see Renly earlier than we did in aCoK but not in Highgarden.

Archived