Hobbit Trailer

Sci-2

I noticed the CGI being a little excessive too, especially with the backgrounds. However, I also noticed, albeit from what little I've seen in the trailer, that Mckellen, Freeman, Holm, and Serkis all seem to be giving their all for this movie and they look like they will be giving wonderful performances.

Loved that they put the Dwarves singing in the trailer, love that it's going to be in the movie. I know the lyrics were in the original novel but the tone and melody is an awesome nod to the Rankin/Bass animated movie. Now if the Goblins' "What funny little birds" song is in the movie, that may be what pushes me over the edge into a nerdgasm.

I've stayed away from The Hobbit thread because I just couldn't take the it's on/it's off/it's on but Del Toro won't be directing it...It was great to keep a distance and then suddenly see a trailer emerge showing an actual finished movie is nearing and it looks teriffic.

Loved that they put the Dwarves singing in the trailer, love that it's going to be in the movie. I know the lyrics were in the original novel but the tone and melody is an awesome nod to the Rankin/Bass animated movie. Now if the Goblins' "What funny little birds" song is in the movie, that may be what pushes me over the edge into a nerdgasm.

Let us not forget the "Tra lala lala hey nonny nonny" song of the Elves as Thorin and Co descend into Rivendell. Although, based on the trailer, this part of the book may have been changed.

What would have made the trailer complete was a shot of Smaug, hoping we see that in a subsequent trailer. I assume that we will get to see a flashback of the Fall of Erebor in the first movie.

Let us not forget the "Tra lala lala hey nonny nonny" song of the Elves as Thorin and Co descend into Rivendell. Although, based on the trailer, this part of the book may have been changed.

What would have made the trailer complete was a shot of Smaug, hoping we see that in a subsequent trailer. I assume that we will get to see a flashback of the Fall of Erebor in the first movie.

There was the part in the trailer with Gandalf looking around the ruins of some place with lots of steps.

Please, please, please don't let them show a scene with Smaug in it.... I know that this is asking for a miracle, but I don't want to see him until He is 60 foot tall in IMAX. I have an ongoing debate about the best looking dragon in film history with a friend of mine. (My vote right now is for the ancient dragon in Harry Potter 8 although GOT gets honorable mention for the ending shot.) I sincerely hope that Smaug blows them all away.

On to my fanboy rant.... What is Elija Woods doing in this movie as Frodo? GRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!

There was the part in the trailer with Gandalf looking around the ruins of some place with lots of steps.

I suspect that this is him in Dol Guldur. Later in the trailer there appears to be some shots of him fightng a

zombie-like dwarf, probably Thrain in the pits of the Necromancer

On to my fanboy rant.... What is Elija Woods doing in this movie as Frodo? GRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!

It's a framing device for the main film - Bilbo talking to Frodo about his adventures, fade to younger Bilbo outside Bag End enjoying his pipe.

It's a framing device for the main film - Bilbo talking to Frodo about his adventures, fade to younger Bilbo outside Bag End enjoying his pipe.

I realize this, and on some level can actually appreciate it in a creative standpoint. I just want to see the books adapted as I read them when I was 8 years old, and then reread them once a year for my entire life. Don't get me wrong... I will be in the theatre at midnight on it's release. Probably after camping out in a Gandalf costume. I just reserve the right to complain about inaccurate translations...

I hope they deviate from the book quite a bit. From narrative point of view, there needs to be some way of closing the first movie. I think there are hints of the spider attack in Mirkwood in the movie, which would be a reasonable end for the dwarves. On the other hand, the Baggins has his encounter with Gollum a lot earlier. This is a tension-filled but rather long and quiet chapter that needs to be cross-cut with other action in the movie (unless significantly changed and shortened). For the Baggins, this is the transformative event, after which he starts doing useful things.

Hm…

I’m quite sure they will let the Gandalf POV end with the confrontation with the Necromancer. My nerdmeter would break if we actually saw two Istari, a firstborn elf queen, and a small Rivendell posse take on Sauron and his Dol Goldur force. A few hundred fighters per side, and pyrotechnics. How could the possibly screw that up?

Crosscut it with the Dwarven troubles in Mirkwood, with Bilbo saving the day at the moment of greatest dread and hopelessness. Since Bilbo doesn’t do much between his encounter with Gollum and the spiders, one could keep him separated from the Dwarves the whole time, so that he arrives only save them. This way, the Gollum meeting could happen much later, close to the climax of the film.

I don’t know.

I just want to see Mithrandir and Curunír stand side by side shooting fireballs out of their noses.

I don't know how it passed me by that Martin Freeman was playing Bilbo, but that is as close to perfect casting as it's possible to get.

Indeed. And that levels him up considerably in my own “actors in major geekdom roles” list. (Arthur Dent and Bilbo Baggins! That gets him as far as Patrick Steward (Xavier and Star Trek Captain)).

That list is currently headed by Christopher Lee (Dracula, a Jedi, Saruman, the fricking Jabberwocky) and Ian McKellen (Gandalf, Magneto, Byrnison).

Indeed. And that levels him up considerably in my own “actors in major geekdom roles” list. (Arthur Dent and Bilbo Baggins! That gets him as far as Patrick Steward (Xavier and Star Trek Captain)).

He's also John Watson, too, which makes him more awesome.

Archived