Biggest badass in the series?

The Drunkard

And as much as I don't like Dany, I still think she's more than earned her BAMF title as well (non-BAMF people do not walk into a giant pyre to revive petrified dragons and succeed).

Interesting, beacsue I do like Dany, I just wouldn't put her in the "badass" column.

Oh, and I'm and idiot for not thinking of him sooner: Qhorin Halfhand. He analyzed a situation, decided the most honorable and pragmatic choice in the interest of the realm, and gave his life away in the span of about 3 seconds. Wow.

Podrick Payne.

The kid just doesn't give a fuck.

He should be at home playing with his bow and arrow or riding around on a pony, but fuck that, he's out fighting in the Battle of the Blackwater, riding solo to Duskendale, calling Brienne 'sir' right to her FACE, killing outlaws at Cracklaw Point, chilling with Septon Meribald and learning about broken men, getting hanged by Lady Stoneheart and still not giving a fuck. Total badass.

This is a discussion forum, so I decided to respond to you. No one here is "out for blood".

Uhhh, it's a joke. I KNOW no one here is out for blood.

1. This is just plain ignorance on your part. Viserys had tormented Daenerys for most of her life -- any response from her should be celebrated.

Um, he was her only protector (as shitty as he was) until Drogo, the only "father figure" (and I use this term very loosely) until she got another family with the Dothraki. As I said before, she had already gained a lot of confidence. Why should this action be "celebrated"? It seems like every little thing Daenerys does is fucking celebrated. I liked her character too until a certain point, but really. She stood up to a weakling. I'm sorry, but I've seen your posts. You constantly defend Dany. When I try to inject a little reality into the situation, you seem unable to accept it!

2. Drogo did not already like her; he objectified her (hint: they're not the same thing). I don't think he respected her as much as he respected a lot of others, but I think it's fair to say that her actions made him respect her a lot more than he normally would have.

I disagree - to a certain extent. I think that sometimes he objectified her, but look at their wedding night, for example. If he really OBJECTIFIED her, he would have just taken her doggy style, not spent a long ass time caressing her and murmuring sweet words to her (or so we can assume, since the Dothraki wasn't translated). When Mago complained about her taking Eroeh, he took her side instead of his. Even though I have never used the tv series as backups for my argument, I think what Doreah said was very true: if he wanted a Dothraki girl, he would have wed one. But he liked this exotic Valyrian girl. He respected that she adjusted to her lifestyle, learned Dothraki, etc. While I don't think that makes her BADASS, I do think it makes her a strong woman, as I said before. How do you think he objectified her?

3. She took it through deceit, yes. She did not do it through counsel from Jorah (he wanted her to actually buy the Unsullied). She actually went against Barristan's counsel.

Yes, well Barristan didn't know what she was planning. Also, I think it might have been better to just BUY the Unsullied, in the end. That way she wouldn't have been known as a treacherous person who went back on her word when she felt like it. She had the spices/jewels/furs/etc. to do so. But that's speculating about what might have been. In this case, she didn't rely on the counsel of others, and as a result, she became known as treacherous and untrustworthy. Yeah, points for Dany right there...

4. Hizdahr wanted Drogon dead, and Barristan (whom you apparently think is a badass) simply told Daenerys to look away. The truth is that Dany tamed (or subdued) one of the only living dragons in the world with simply a whip.

I never said I thought Barristan was a badass. Other people did, but I didn't. And like I said before, Daenerys was Drogon's MOTHER. She was also immune to FIRE (all she got from the hottest flames on earth, aside from the sun and the core of the earth, were blisters). She had hatched Drogon, given him milk, love, and trained him (to a certain extent - which only seemed to include "Dracarys" as far as commands) since he was a hatchling. I don't find it so remarkable that she was able to subdue him. Quentyn himself seemed on the verge of taming Viserion before Rhaegal ambushed him, which I find more impressive. But then, imho, Viserion has always seemed to be the nicest of the three dragons. But that's a little off-topic.

5. I never said eating a horse is badass. But, by your own admission, Drogon is not a badass. That's why I included this scenario.

Okay, I don't understand at all why you included that scenario. You said "she stood eating a horse in front of Jhaqo [with her dragon beside her]. While I don't think Drogon is a badass, simply b/c I think "badass" should refer to people, not dragons who are naturally deadly, fierce, etc., his BEING there most likely scares the piss out of that khalasar. Can you really deny that?

There are plenty of other examples I could have included. Walking into her husband's funeral pyre, defeating the Yunkish forces, crucifying the slavers (you included Arya's stabbing of one of Gregor's men, so I'm sure this counts), actually riding a dragon, etc. etc.

I already addressed walking into her husband's funeral pyre. At that point she already knew she was pretty much immune to fire.

We don't know that the people she crucified were the slavers responsible for those children. I, unlike some Dany lovers, abhor what she did.

Yeah, she rode a dragon...I think that's more amazingly fun than badass. There are any number of people in the series who would have loved to ride a dragon (Tyrion, for instance).

Arya KNEW who the tickler was. She had seen him, with her own eyes, torturing men, women and children. Dany just asked the great masters of Mereen to give up 163 slavers. She never saw with her own eyes who was responsible for the crucifixtion of those children.

Definitely a joke that Tyrion himself would make. Admirable and classy! :cheers:

Yeah, and I find your faux feminazi circle jerker bullshit title really amusing too. The very height of wit. I remember the thread where you got it from, it's just so stupid.

My comment about Bronn was just a passing comment, I can't BELIEVE people take it so seriously.

ETA: I decided that telling little spider to shove it might have made me feel better, but I'm not going to go there.

Um, he was her only protector (as shitty as he was) until Drogo, the only "father figure" (and I use this term very loosely) until she got another family with the Dothraki. As I said before, she had already gained a lot of confidence. Why should this action be "celebrated"? It seems like every little thing Daenerys does is fucking celebrated. I liked her character too until a certain point, but really. She stood up to a weakling.

Darry was also a kind of father figure to her.

I think part of the reason that Dany's rejection of Viserys is celebrated is because it's an abused girl who stands up to her abuser and casts him off. From the perspective of the abused person, this is a tremendous act of strength.

I disagree - to a certain extent. I think that sometimes he objectified her, but look at their wedding night, for example. If he really OBJECTIFIED her, he would have just taken her doggy style, not spent a long ass time caressing her and murmuring sweet words to her (or so we can assume, since the Dothraki wasn't translated).

Sorry, Drogo gets no points in my book for this. So he gave her a massage. He still fingerbanged a 13 year old, then raped her repeatedly afterward.

But he liked this exotic Valyrian girl.

What is this if not objectification?

Also, I think it might have been better to just BUY the Unsullied, in the end. That way she wouldn't have been known as a treacherous person who went back on her word when she felt like it. She had the spices/jewels/furs/etc. to do so.

She would have sold Drogon as well, though.

She was also immune to FIRE (all she got from the hottest flames on earth, aside from the sun and the core of the earth, were blisters).

Daenerys is not immune to fire. Martin has said that her surviving the funeral pyre was because of a one-time spell. She is tolerant of heat, but not immune to fire.

She had hatched Drogon, given him milk, love, and trained him (to a certain extent - which only seemed to include "Dracarys" as far as commands) since he was a hatchling. I don't find it so remarkable that she was able to subdue him.
So Drogon struck you as tame when he was in the fighting pit? I had a different impression. Dany dominated him with that whip. She would have been eaten had she not stood up to him. She was like Cesar Milan if Cesar's trainees were 20 times his size and fire-breathing. It was force of will. That's why Drogon knelt.

Yeah, and I find your faux feminazi circle jerker bullshit title really amusing too. The very height of wit. I remember the thread where you got it from, it's just so stupid.

Not my words, but rather a charming epithet shit-slung about by a poster whose post was subsequently deleted by the mods.

The top five badasses in my opinion.

1: Khal Drogo

He has never been defeated in his entire life and revealed his true badassedness when he swore to conquer Westeros.

2. Barristan Selmy

At the age of 60+ he killed goldcloaks bare handed and threatened to cut through the rest of the kingsguard when he was dismissed by Joffrey, a prospect he most definitely could have accomplished. He also saved Arys alone by infiltrating a town controlled by rebels, staying loyal and understanding duty and honor.

3. Donal Noye

He killed the king of the giants with one arm, and was one of Jon Snow's best friends.

4. Mance Rayder

Handed Jon Snow's ass on a silver platter when he fought him in ADWD, and he managed to unify most if not all of the wildlings beyond the Wall.

5. Varys "The Spider"

You simply do not fuck with this man.

He marries into a noble family and, in a move that makes every other instance of badassery in this entire series pale in comparison-

he names

the baby

Tyrion.

At a time when Tyrion Lannister was #1 on Westeros' Most Wanted. Yeah, that takes some balls.

I'm still going with Belwas. You have to be a good fighter to survive long in the pits and he was one of the champions. Even despite his size he can move with speed and can take on a mounted noble with almost no armour. Plus consuming a rather large bowl of poison and living.

And letting everyone you fight cut you exactly once before killing them.

And letting everyone you fight cut you exactly once before killing them.

Definitely badass, also a terrible idea, because at some point one of those blades is going to be poisoned. Or maybe Belwas has been stabbed by a bunch of poisoned blades and has built up an immunity to it, and thats why he survived the locusts :D.

I'm going to limit myself to 5..

-Robert- Terrible King and total oaf, but the dude lived up to the baratheon words...An insanely strong hot head who walked the walk, often being the first man to reach the fight.

-Oberyn- Absolutely fearless in his wrath, and so methodical in his attack...Shame we only got a glimpse..

-Arya- I mean c'mon how is she not on every list. Killin' fools since she was 10, taking out multitudes of Lannister men on the shores of God's Eye alone! Now training with the most elite assassin around, while still holding on to her Wolf roots.

-Mance Rayder- I have a bit of a Mance bias, but the guy is a total badass. Sneaks into Winterfell on multiple occasions, able to outfight everyone North of the Wall and it is said he could do the same with any man in the watch. And yet he seems plain and ordinairy of appearence. I dig that about him.

-Roose Bolton-Cool as a corpse. Bloodless in temperment and will cut your throat with a smile. A rational, self-reflective person who can cause great evil and mayhem when it suits his motives. As devestated as I was with the Red Wedding, him clad in his dreadfort armour administering the deathblow to Robb stark is reprehensibly badass.

Um, he was her only protector (as shitty as he was) until Drogo, the only "father figure" (and I use this term very loosely) until she got another family with the Dothraki. As I said before, she had already gained a lot of confidence. Why should this action be "celebrated"? It seems like every little thing Daenerys does is fucking celebrated. I liked her character too until a certain point, but really. She stood up to a weakling. I'm sorry, but I've seen your posts. You constantly defend Dany. When I try to inject a little reality into the situation, you seem unable to accept it!

"Inject a little reality"? But that's not the case. I've simply given you reasons as to why I disagree with you (this is a discussion forum after all). There are plenty of other posters who've said they don't think Dany is a badass, and the only reason I haven't responded to them is because the other characters they think are badasses are completely different from Dany. However, the two characters you chose have performed actions that I find to be very similar to those of Daenerys.

Yes, well Barristan didn't know what she was planning. Also, I think it might have been better to just BUY the Unsullied, in the end. That way she wouldn't have been known as a treacherous person who went back on her word when she felt like it. She had the spices/jewels/furs/etc. to do so. But that's speculating about what might have been. In this case, she didn't rely on the counsel of others, and as a result, she became known as treacherous and untrustworthy. Yeah, points for Dany right there...

So you think buying slaves is better than being "treacherous" and "untrustworthy"? Okay.

I never said I thought Barristan was a badass. Other people did, but I didn't. And like I said before, Daenerys was Drogon's MOTHER. She was also immune to FIRE (all she got from the hottest flames on earth, aside from the sun and the core of the earth, were blisters). She had hatched Drogon, given him milk, love, and trained him (to a certain extent - which only seemed to include "Dracarys" as far as commands) since he was a hatchling. I don't find it so remarkable that she was able to subdue him. Quentyn himself seemed on the verge of taming Viserion before Rhaegal ambushed him, which I find more impressive. But then, imho, Viserion has always seemed to be the nicest of the three dragons. But that's a little off-topic.

Subduing a dragon is badass. Especially when that dragon is about to be killed by your husband.

Okay, I don't understand at all why you included that scenario. You said "she stood eating a horse in front of Jhaqo [with her dragon beside her]. While I don't think Drogon is a badass, simply b/c I think "badass" should refer to people, not dragons who are naturally deadly, fierce, etc., his BEING there most likely scares the piss out of that khalasar. Can you really deny that?

No, I do not deny that. But you said that she's never done anything badass without relying on other badasses, and you said that Drogon is not a badass.

I already addressed walking into her husband's funeral pyre. At that point she already knew she was pretty much immune to fire.

We don't know that the people she crucified were the slavers responsible for those children. I, unlike some Dany lovers, abhor what she did.

Yeah, she rode a dragon...I think that's more amazingly fun than badass. There are any number of people in the series who would have loved to ride a dragon (Tyrion, for instance).

Arya KNEW who the tickler was. She had seen him, with her own eyes, torturing men, women and children. Dany just asked the great masters of Mereen to give up 163 slavers. She never saw with her own eyes who was responsible for the crucifixtion of those children.

Dany is not immune to fire.

I don't think crucifying slavers is good. But, from some of the posts in this thread, I think it qualifies as badass. It didn't matter if they were guilty; the gesture itself was the most important part.

Yes, but it doesn't matter who else wants to ride one - actually riding one is still pretty badass.

Like I've said, I really don't care whether or not you (or anyone else) thinks Daenerys is badass. I just don't see how Arya qualifies as badass if Dany doesn't. Because she actually stabbed someone? (For the record, I think Arya is a badass.)

I must really disagree with a lot of your guys definitions of "badassery", judging by your answers.

To me, someone who is "badass" is obviously a great fighter/tough/etc, but also someone who is willing to make a sacrifice (sometimes his life), and not someone who is what we would consider abusive/cruel/etc.

For that reasons, I think guys like Robert and Drogo are the furthest thing in the series from being "badassses"

My personal list would encompass guys like Squire Dalbridge, Donal Noye, etc

Oh, and shoutout to all the guys that had to crawl through the sewers in Meeren

Dunno, I thought Roose Bolton's "jaime lannister sends his regards" and Gregor's "like this" line were infinetly more badass than anything bronn has ever done.

Roose could have just let the freys finish off robb, but instead he personally twists the knife and lets him know what's good. And Gregor? Not only is the guy literally the biggest badass in the series, but he's so badass that men define themselves by attempting to kill him (beric, pate of the green fork, oberyn) and they all fail. When edmure defeats tywin he says "we even threw back gregor clegane.". Just before oberyn dies te tells him not only how his sister died, but that oberyn's literally going to meet the same death. That is badass right there. The comparison to Bronn is so funny because Bronn knew what was up, and refused to fight gregor, because he wasn't badass enough.

Of course if we are defining badass as being somehow a moral quality than gregor should be excluded. But so should Bronn.

Archived