Why is'nt Football the biggest sport in the world? Or at least in the olympics?

Gingerly Grumkin

Football is the best sport. (i dont care if you agree or not) But only in America (and i think Canada) is it the biggest sport. So...why? At least put it in the Olympics, i mean fucking Curling is a sport! Do you think it has to do with the Metric system, or is that easily converted?

Pretty sure it isn't in the Olympics because not enough countries play it. I know Australia has an American Football league and the UK has the BAFA (British American Football League), Japan also has an American Football League, but as far as I know they're not very popular. Outside the US Football (Soccer to you) is simply the dominant sport in the vast majority of other countries. If American Football had a larger international player base then maybe it would end up being an Olympic sport, I'm not sure. Or maybe it's just considered too similar to Rugby to be included (which is already an Olympic sport I believe and is also far more popular than American Football on an international scale).

Also, American Football being the "best sport" is purely subjective and your opinion, that doesn't qualify it to be an Olympic event.

Probably the cost factor figures into it also. Running a football program/National team would be wildly expensive for most nations even if there was a widespread participation in the sport. Sure, millions watch the Super Bowl world wide. And interest is probably growing. But fielding and running teams? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Funnily enough I was having a conversation sorta similar to this yesterday. One major problem, it seems, is with all the equipment requirements, it's very hard to have any kind of grassroots American Football movement that would produce viable teams in any country outside the USA. Until it catches on in other countries, what would be the point in having it in the Olympics, unless just to hand a free gold medal to America? Do you guys really need that kind of hand-holding?

Probably the cost factor figures into it also. Running a football program/National team would be wildly expensive for most nations even if there was a widespread participation in the sport. Sure, millions watch the Super Bowl world wide. And interest is probably growing. But fielding and running teams? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

idk soccor players make bank

I like both types of football, but what's wrong with being a bit america-centric?

Because we're ALL America-centric? Could do with a little less. Just because we do it here doesn't mean it's gotta be done elsewhere.

The equipment expenses are definitely a huge barrier. We already see some of that in the Winter Olympics, which tend to be dominated by a handful of countries that are either rich, have lots of cold weather, or both.

In any case, it's not weird that American football is the dominant sport in the US. Lots of countries have dominant sports other than Soccer, such as basketball in China IIRC, Cricket in India, and Hockey in Canada. What's weird is that Soccer isn't the second most popular sport in this country - it's a distant 4th or 5th at best.

idk soccor players make bank

Depends on the league they're in. A big name player in the Premier League makes ridiculous money, yeah. But millions of people all over the world watch the Premiere League so it's a massive industry. It makes sense that the players would make more than an American Football player (I'm not sure how much either makes to be honest so I could be wrong, but I'm assuming a Premier League player makes more)

EDIT: Fixed my math, I guess I was wrong. According to The Guardian Wayne Rooney makes about 26,000 pounds a day, which is equivalent to roughly $14,752,205(US) a year. Compared to the NFL's highest paid player (Mark Sanchez) who made $17,250,000 last year.

lol fine, i shall ignore your incorrect opinion, jk. But regardless, its a fine sport and should be in the olympics

OK, so then why should it be in the Olympics? Make the argument that it augments the Olympic spirit and community and isn't just a "hey, America gets a free Gold here." thought.

could you have enough games in that short a time period to make it worth while? there is a huge amount of wear and tear in American Football. i presume this is why they only play about 3 games a year. whereas proper football players do 40-60, basketball players 82 regular season and baseball 154 regular season games.

if we are throwing in sports which guarantee medals i'm all for getting pub games in the olympics, the UK would smash everyone at Darts, Snooker and dominoes.

also the USA USA chants would be a bit undignified when you were beating equitorial guinea 472-0

Archived