Why is'nt Football the biggest sport in the world? Or at least in the olympics?

Gingerly Grumkin

I found a Forbes list regarding the NFL's highest paid players which I'm more inclined to believe. Apparently Mark Sanchez makes 13.5 million a year, and Peyton Manning is actually the highest paid player at $23 million a year.

Other list may not have been valid.

Waiting for dodgeball to become an Olympic sport. If you can dodge a wrench...

The urine drinking requirement might make it a little prohibitive. Now if they had an IOC fundraiser where we could throw wrenches at Ben Stiller - I'd be all for it.

Waiting for someone to call soccer "kickyball".

I was more thinking 'floppyball'.

During a small scuffle in yesterday's 49ers/Giants game, one of the New York players attempted to draw attention to a shove by falling backwards. This is not a common occurence in American football and it seemed totally out of place. Thankfully, American football has a sufficient number of officials that someone is almost always in position to see and the player got an admoninshment rather than a call.

My first thought was to wonder when Cristian Ronaldo started playing for the New York Giants.

this is where we as responsible internet denizens begin ritualistic cock-waving over whether or not american football/football have any true merit and which sport is better. ;)

Only interested in this if real dick is shown. Get on it, dudes.

There's 300-400 million people who live in countries where American Football is popular.

There's 6.7 billion people who live in countries where American Footballs is not popular.

For that matter, nearly 2 billion people live in Test playing nations (I don't rule out having missed one of the West Indies when I added them up) and other nations such as Ireland, Netherlands and Kenya are capable of being competitive in short bursts. Hell, even the USA's an associate ICC member. Why isn't Twenty20 cricket an Olympic sport?

The IOC has a 33 point plan on what a sport needs to have: http://www.olympic.org/PageFiles/61622/2004-08_criteres_sports_disciplines_eng.pdf

American football passes about 3, and those are only the ones on advertising.

Interestingly, the American Football world cup bans even the better college players from playing for the US and they still won the final by 50 points against Canada.

The main reason though is that it's a stupid sport :D

I don't think that anyone would waste time comparing the two sports at all if not for the unfortunate fact that they share the name 'football.' That is the only reason that people like to get into pissing matches about which one is better. They can't reasonably be compared, imo, because they are entirely different games and don't have very much in common.

The flopping thing, I think, is a bit of a turnoff for a lot of Americans because we already have a popular sport with an inordinate amount of flopping - basketball. Soccer definitely isn't unique there. I've also noticed it more and more in football as a trick to slow down the tempo of a fast paced offense. No matter where I see it, though, I despise it. In American football, West Virginia fans somewhat infamously booed LSU defensive players this year because as the offense was gaining momentum an LSU player would go down on the field with greater and greater frequency only to return to the game in short order. I was not there to boo in person, but rest assured - I booed in spirit. Oh, yes.

I appreciate soccer, but I did not grow up with it and I haven't really taken a shine to it. I don't mind watching it if it is on TV, but I don't have feelings about particular teams or players and what not. Its just really hard for me to get into a sport without having played or having some sort of personal attachment to a team. All of my favorite sports are born from a regional attachment to a particular team so that I identify with their successes and failures to a much much greater degree than if I were simply an observer of the game. The only sport that I can say that I enjoy watching without having played or without having a personal stake is Rugby.

I appreciate soccer, but I did not grow up with it and I haven't really taken a shine to it. I don't mind watching it if it is on TV, but I don't have feelings about particular teams or players and what not. Its just really hard for me to get into a sport without having played or having some sort of personal attachment to a team. All of my favorite sports are born from a regional attachment to a particular team so that I identify with their successes and failures to a much much greater degree than if I were simply an observer of the game. The only sport that I can say that I enjoy watching without having played or without having a personal stake is Rugby.

I'm pretty much the same way but with the opposite sport. I'll watch American Football if it's on but I'd never go out of my way to see a game and don't really care too much about any of the teams because I didn't grow up watching it. I grew up watching Football (English Premiere League, although I'm not from England so I don't support any team based on where they're from, I'm an Arsenal fan mainly because that's who my dad supports so I kind of grew into it :P) so I tend to follow that more (Although to be honest I'm not a die hard fan of any sport, but I watch more of it than American football)

Two reasons. It's shit. There's already rugby in the olympics, the real one, not the dressed up padded version popular in the US.

Bad news on the diving front though, there's nothing worse than watching grown men rolling around like they've been shot by a sniper when they've been tapped by an opponent and think they can get something from the ref. As a former hatchet man I find it very offensive.

http://users.skynet....ymp/reloly.html

olympic medal table per capita, UK 41st - US 43rd, in your face america, we suck slightly less than you do.

And apart from joke countries Liechtenstein and East Germany (hpmh), we reign supreme.

Also, football is the only game I know that can transcend merely being a sport. It's called the beautiful game for a reason. At it's best, it's athletic art.

Ndrew: So rather than all the other reasons that have been mentioned, you think it's an anti-imperial conspiracy that's responsible for American Football not being an Olympic sport?

Archived