Did Viserys Survive?

Im With Stannis

Yeah we could easily say he may have had the "mad" tendencies, but you could also argue that he was simply arrogant, and self-entitled. As with Aerys, it may take a certain traumatic event to trigger the full on "madness" (his imprisonement in Duskendale or whatever it was called).

In short I guess we cannot call him "Mad Prince Viserys", but if Selmy had met him he would probably come to the conclusion that he had the "taint" of madness, and would not have served him as the rightful king.

Yeah we could easily say he may have had the "mad" tendencies, but you could also argue that he was simply arrogant, and self-entitled. As with Aerys, it may take a certain traumatic event to trigger the full on "madness" (his imprisonement in Duskendale or whatever it was called).

In short I guess we cannot call him "Mad Prince Viserys", but if Selmy had met him he would probably come to the conclusion that he had the "taint" of madness, and would not have served him as the rightful king.

You know nothing Barristan snow Selmy

I think you're pretty much spot on with that analysis. I'm having doubts about Dany though- she is becoming more and more paranoid, more and more eager to burn things etc. Maybe the loss of her city would do it...

Edited for spelling.

He could easily suffer from a mix of lack of intelligence (he was unable to understand how he was putting his own life at risk all the time since he went with the dothraki), narcissism and a violent and possesive character. There are many people in real life who would be able to act like him and we wouldn't consider mad.

You know nothing Barristan snow Selmy

LOL!

I think you're pretty much stop on with that analysis. I'm having doubts about Dany though- she is becoming more and more paranoid, more and more eager to burn things etc. Maybe the loss of her city would do it...

Hmmm, good point... I don't like to think about it lol. I know its not likely but I want her to restore her house to former glory.

@ Ser Lupis, yeah i guess in our modern society Viserys would be medicated and have to see a psych regularily, funny thought. I guess in our modern society all of his actions would be considered undesirable as we do not believe in "divine right" and usually ostracize those with such a sense of self-entitlement.

He could easily suffer from a mix of lack of intelligence (he was unable to understand how he was putting his own life at risk all the time since he went with the dothraki), narcissism and a violent and possesive character. There are many people in real life who would be able to act like him and we wouldn't consider mad.

It depends whether you conflate madness with mental illness I suppose. Violent, narcissistic and possessive tendencies are all varieties of mental ilness, so you could say that he is mad in that respect; as would have been the case in Westeros/ the medieval period Psychopathy, for example, might describe Viserys quite well- shallow emotions would explain Viserys' lack of fear. In the same way, we don't know for sure that Aerys was mad, he might have been schizophrenic, or suffer from paranoia. The distinction between madness and mental illness has only really emerged in the past half century.

Edited for clarity.

@ Ser Lupis, yeah i guess in our modern society Viserys would be medicated and have to see a psych regularily, funny thought. I guess in our modern society all of his actions would be considered undesirable as we do not believe in "divine right" and usually ostracize those with such a sense of self-entitlement.

Well, if he were a regular guy in our world instead of a Targayren from ASOIAF, he would probably be you regular entitled asshole. His narcissism was strongly reinforced by his knowledge that he was "special" (and by his stupidity, which didn't allow him to understand his situation).

As a matter of fact, I think almost any king of old would probably be considered a narcisist if interviewed by a modern psychologist (the "god has chosen me to rule my people" thing, you know...).

Well, if he were a regular guy in our world instead of a Targayren from ASOIAF, he would probably be you regular entitled asshole. His narcissism was strongly reinforced by his knowledge that he was "special" (and by his stupidity, which didn't allow to understand his situation).

As a matter of fact, I think almost any king of old would probably be considered a narcisist if interviewed by a modern psychologist (the "god has chosen me to rule my people" thing, you know...).

True. Having said that, and without going too far off topic, it would depend whether those kings actually believed that. It is thought, for example, that many of the Roman emperors weren't religious at all, or didn't believe in the gods, but simply underrstood that it was an effective way to keep the population under control. There have even been many suggestions that the Bible we know today was constructed as is (i.e. some parts kept, other parts destroyed) because it made an effective tool for population control. Not going to go any further into that can of worms however.

It depends whether you conflate madness with mental illness I suppose. Violent, narcissistic and possessive tendencies are all varieties of mental ilness, so you could say that he is mad in that respect. Psychopathy, for example, might describe Viserys quite well- shallow emotions would explain Viserys' lack of fear. In the same way, we don't know for sure that Aerys was mad, he might have been schizophrenic, or suffer from paranoia.

Brave lol

There's also the fact that she made significant effort to jump away from Drogon's flames. A person claiming fireproof/unburnt status probably wouldn't be scared of the flames. He is fire made flesh, she thought, and so am I. Why would 'fire made flesh' be scared of a little furnace wind?

There are degree's to everything. The Doom's fires were so Hot they consumed even the Dragons in Valarya. Dragonfire in the same sense is much hotter than regular fire so danny did the right thing by trying to dodge. it is also instictive to dodge from something shooting right to your head. Her claim is fire didnt touch her "just as before" when else fire didn't touch her other than the pyre?

Also yes her cloths were not bunred and I didnt claim she was egulfed in fire. Her hair burned though and the heat of drogon's flame (hottest fire in the world) passed right by her head and yet she describes no sculp or face skin burns at all. That is impossible unless she is very resistant to the Drogon's fire/immune to normal fire. Again she mentions this event while pointing out "Her hair was burned but the fire did not touch her just as before"

GRR Martin loves to be slightly ambiguous in some of his writtings but going by the events described it should be concluded that danny has strong but partial resistance to Dragan fire & total resistance to normal fire.

Targaryens are not fire resistant. The show of course may be responsible for all this confusion, but who would know best is the one who invented the Targaryens: George R.R. Martin. He says Targaryens are not fire resistant.

I'm sorry for all of you who would like him to write it otherwise, but since these are his books ...

Targaryens are not fire resistant. The show of course may be responsible for all this confusion, but who would know best is the one who invented the Targaryens: George R.R. Martin. He says Targaryens are not fire resistant.

I'm sorry for all of you who would like him to write it otherwise, but since these are his books ...

And if you don't like it you can write your own books featuring asbestos skinned people who tend to inbreed.

Archived