Did Viserys Survive?

Im With Stannis

:agree: I take it that she walked into the pyre fully confident that she wouldn't die and that the dragons would be hatched. By the heat and because her three payments of death for life (Rhaego, Drogo, Mirri Maz Duur). I'm not sure she thinks she is fully fireproof. What happened to Viserys was a hint. And loosing her hair twice is something she would have noticed.

She says of her brothers death that "he was no dragon, fire cannon kill a dragon". That makes it pretty clear that she believed true Targs to be fireproof. Later she refers to her own anger as "waking the dragon" just like her brother did, implying that she considers herself a dragon now. The fact that she walks into a giant funeral pyre happily also shows that she believes she is immune to fire, since she was clearly not suicidal at the time.

I think the reason people believe she will die by fire is because of how adamant the author has been in insisting that the Targs and specifically Dany are not fireproof. He seems very driven by this fact, in a way that could be taken as evidence of her getting burned later.

Did you bother to read my post? Dany does not think she's fireproof, nor does she think any other Targaryen is.

Well, considering that Viserys' apparent spirit came to Dany in a vision/dream...going on about how he died and his general feelings about her, it seems likely that he is as good as dead.

I'm sure a piece of Vis would always be around, whether he shows up as a lingering memory, in dreams, as a ghost, a soul that is connected to her dragons, or if Qyburn somehow gets his body he can be zombiefied, har har....but as a living, breathing person, it seems like a really really long stretch. Maybe by chance, if we think really really hard, he might have somehow survived the Golden Crown -and let's say he was dumped in the field somewhere, assumed dead- then someone picked him up and slowly nursed him back to passable health. Which in itself, would require some really excellent talent in medicine or some magic in order to fix up what would definitely be incredibly severe wounds and trauma.

His road would be quite difficult after that - what other kinds of support would he get for things like travel or manpower? Other then his words - if he could speak- how could he prove his identity if we assume that his violet eyes, silver hair and facial features are gone? We already have one Targ named YG that has questionable identity, and a bunch of theories of other characters being alleged Targs, do we really need another one? Other then maybe wanting some sort of revenge or maybe have a change of heart by being helpful instead, what else could he do? It would be hard for him to be a contender for the throne if he might not physically be capable of it.

if we think really really hard, he might have somehow survived the Golden Crown

(snip)

Other then his words - if he could speak- how could he prove his identity if we assume that his violet eyes, silver hair and facial features are gone?

Just re-read his demise. He's dead. In AGOT it is described that the molten gold filled his mouth. ETA I think it possibly resulted in considerable thermal damage of throat and lungs.

Later in a dream Dany remembers that his eyes went liquid and ran over his face ... brr.

Even if he survived that, how could he free himself from a solid metal helmet that covered his eyes and most of his head, probably his nose and quite possibly his mouth as well? Assuming that they are functional to begin with, of course. Doing that while _also_ avoiding notice from the forty thousand Dothraki around him that know that he threatened their Khaleesi and her son is just plain impossible. The Dothraki WILL strangle him on the spot if need be.

That's the best part, if this theory were true it just bring up further questions. Like, whats Viserys been doing all this time? Fartin around the free cities? Wandering the middle of the Dothraki Sea with his head covered in gold...

And you're all missing the real signifigance of Drogo not getting burned by the cauldron - He's a secret Targ. :P

That's the best part, if this theory were true it just bring up further questions. Like, whats Viserys been doing all this time? Fartin around the free cities? Wandering the middle of the Dothraki Sea with his head covered in gold...

And you're all missing the real signifigance of Drogo not getting burned by the cauldron - He's a secret Targ. :P

Well he was always broke and was called the beggar king all the time, so he should be happy to have that gold headgear. That is until the first group of muggers see him.

But Targaryens are not fireproof? Lol

Hm, true. But perhaps it's the line of Drogo who are fireproof then! That explains also the reason why Daenerys wasn't burnt by the pyre that time, because she had carried the Drogospawn in her body until only a few hours ago and thus probably still had the magical protection. Ah, how much sense the world makes suddenly! :cheers:

Maybe he joined the GOLDEN Company! hahahahahahah

They all descendants of exiled Targs anyway and seeing how they are supporting Aegon they wouldn't say no to Viserys.

If he grabbed the container directly with "ordinary" mittens, and the mittens did not catch fire, then the same logic applies. Dude, that was WAX or some other substance. It was not gold.

It was television. These are actors. They're not going to be handling molten metal onscreen--too much potential for disfiguring accidents. It probably wasn't even hot wax--it was most likely some sort of gel or starch with gold metallic paint mixed in. (The boy was almost Dr. Who--they're not going to risk hot wax in those beautiful blue eyes!) The actor playing Viserys is still alive, but the character is dead.

Any "clues" in that scene are probably just artistic license. I can accept zinc in Drogo's belt buckle, no problem. But that temperature would still be plenty hot enough to kill Viserys. In the book his eyes melted, so I think he's dead as a doornail. It's not even odd that we saw no burial. Dothraki burn their dead, and probably didn't consider Viserys worth the trouble. He was most likely dumped outside camp and cleaned up by various wild scavenging animals.

Viserys is dead. Dany is hallucinating. Moreover Dany can't have kids and so even if she does marry Jon Snow, the third head will probably be someone else, not their unlikely offspring.

GRRM has said that Dany surviving Drogo's funeral pyre is a one-off, magical, miraculous event. Despite whatever Viserys and Dany think and say, Targaryens are not fire proof and, in fact, fire has killed a number of their ancestors. I'm pretty sure Viserys is dead, at least I hope so for his sake because that was a particularly nasty and painful way to die, and it would be an even more nasty and painful thing to have survived.

Also GRRM has said that dragon riders don't necessarily have to be Targs.

She survived Drogon's fire eventhough it burned her hair/clothes off if I remember correctly. That is twice she has survived the a fire. Do you need a third time for proof?

Just re-read his demise. He's dead. In AGOT it is described that the molten gold filled his mouth. ETA I think it possibly resulted in considerable thermal damage of throat and lungs.

Later in a dream Dany remembers that his eyes went liquid and ran over his face ... brr.

That sounds like proof to me. I am convinced that he is dead.

She survived Drogon's fire eventhough it burned her hair/clothes off if I remember correctly. That is twice she has survived the a fire. Do you need a third time for proof?

Dany survived Drogon's fire because she jumped out of it's direct path and so wasn't fully consumed by his flames. She was, however, very badly burnt on her hand, so hardly fire proof.

And I don't need a third time to prove something that GRRM has already confirmed - that Dany (and other Targs) are NOT fire proof.

Did you bother to read my post? Dany does not think she's fireproof, nor does she think any other Targaryen is.

I don't think the text supports your assertion that Dany does not think she's fireproof. She was fully convinced she was, after Viserys was killed. "Fire can't kill a dragon." She has never gone back on this. In fact, she's only gotten crazier. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?"

She doesn't make distinction between herself, and the dragons. She believes that the Targaryen blood makes her invulnerable to fire and disease, and lord knows what all else. Burning her palm might have been the wakeup call she needed, but then again maybe not. Prior to that, there was every indication in the text that Dany believed that while the dragons could burn others, they could not burn her.

:agree: I take it that she walked into the pyre fully confident that she wouldn't die and that the dragons would be hatched. By the heat and because her three payments of death for life (Rhaego, Drogo, Mirri Maz Duur). I'm not sure she thinks she is fully fireproof. What happened to Viserys was a hint. And loosing her hair twice is something she would have noticed.

Hair is a superficial part of the body. One hopes she'll notice the blisters on her palms, but there was no reason for her to think that just because all her hair burnt off, that her body or skin were likewise flammable. The hair burnt off in the funeral pyre but Danaerys, who should have been burnt to ash, bones and all, wasn't even a little red. So I guess the magic doesn't count her hair or something. Hair has no blood in it--maybe that's the reason it wasn't protected by the spell.

What makes you think Danaerys believes she is invulnerable to fire? And how does that mean she is going to die?

And you don't have to be invulnerable to fire, to deal with Dragons. You just have to be smart about it, and try and train the Dragon not to burn you. (isn't that what Targaryens of old did? They controlled the Dragons with spells, and magic Dragon horns....and it had nothing to do with being fireproof.) didn't GRRM also say you don't have to be a Targaryen to ride a Dragon(although I'm sure being a Targaryen could help, when riding a Dragon...being the blood of the Dragon, and having the blood of old Valyria and all)

Okay, so, you just need to train the dragon...only these dragons haven't been trained, because no one knows how to train one. Or there are magic dragon horns....but Danaerys not only doesn't have one, neither does anyone who is even remotely on her side. How likely is she to find a horn, or train Drogon, while running around half naked in the Dothraki sea?

For now, she has survived only because she's been extremely lucky, and because the dragons view her as their mother, and so have had no reason to burn her. But she's already had one very close call with Drogon--two, if you count the funeral pyre. She ducked, and survived by sheer luck. GRRM himself has said that if a character solves a problem, they'll never be able to use that solution again. What are the odds of Danaerys never having to duck again?

What are the odds of Drogon never having to aim fire in her direction to evade an attack, again? He had to once. And if the other dragons fall into the wrong hands, being on Drogon's back won't protect her. Dragons can roast the riders right off of one another's backs, and I'm sure they did so back in the day. Armed with the special talents GRRM has given her, Danaerys has about the same chance of survival as a snowball on a barbecue grill.

Archived