Aurane Waters

Ski the Swift

Just idle speculation, of course, but I like to think that Aurane Waters isn't anybody's pawn or a part of any grand conspiracy, just an opportunist who jacked Cersei's boats, because it's funnier that way. We've heard mention of a new surge in pirate activity in and about the Stepstones, after all.

Just idle speculation, of course, but I like to think that Aurane Waters isn't anybody's pawn or a part of any grand conspiracy, just an opportunist who jacked Cersei's boats, because it's funnier that way. We've heard mention of a new surge in pirate activity in and about the Stepstones, after all.

This is the impression I got. It seems very much like he was an opportunist that took advantage of Cersei's craziness. Still I don't think he'll stay in the Stepstones. While I doubt he coordinated it from the beginning, an alliance with Aegon sounds like it would be a good move for someone who lost his benefactor and still wants to move up in the world.

This is what I thought when I read the book; people on this forum were the ones to convince me otherwise. Up to now, whereas I think of hypothesis, a part of me still thinks he's just playing pirate somewhere. But I do think he'll reappear soon; whether or not he'll play a important part, only time will tell.

I think Waters is simply an opportunist, and IMO that makes him all the more interesting. Any prophecy he would be involved in would seem convoluted. I like the fact that a potentially significant player in the Game is little more than a glorified pirate.

I think Waters is simply an opportunist, and IMO that makes him all the more interesting. Any prophecy he would be involved in would seem convoluted. I like the fact that a potentially significant player in the Game is little more than a glorified pirate.

Right. As Vargo Hoat showed us, some people are just after as much as they can get without much of a plan. Those people can have a significant effect on events when someone puts them in a position to do so, like leaving them in de facto control of the largest castle in the kingdom or giving them command of the royal navy.

I hope Aurane Waters reappears again later in the story: He has potential to be a very interesting character, a bastard with a stolen war fleet with no loyalties or bonds, able to take any side he pleases (well, except Cersei´s, who would kill him) and tilt the scales of the game.

My guess was that Aurane was an opportunist. Where might he logically go? Pycelle thought he was going off to be a pirate on the stepstones. My guess was that since Aurane Waters was the bastard of Driftmark he might use his ships and men (apparently Cersei let him pick his own against Pycelle's advice) to take over Driftmark. That seems like a logical move, as would be heading east to the Stepstones to set himself up as a pirate. Going to Driftmark with his ships with the idea that he would at some point be able to take over would be my guess, however, as Waters has family there and is related to the Driftmark royal family. My memories gone a bit but its my vague recollection Driftmark's lord was killed and his ships lost while fighting for Stannis.

If Waters didn't take Driftmark or hole up in there while he see's what is happening, I think a logical guess is he might go East as far as Volantis but once there IMO he'd hear tales of all the forces going to Mereen and stay clear of the place. He's too small a force to be a major player.

Waters is a relatively minor character and we don't know too much about him.

I don't think we will see him at all actually. He never was an important character, and I think he was used to show Cersei's vanity, and to further cripple Cersei when he left with her ships.

grrm has enough storylines right now without establishing aurane water's motivations, having a POV meet him and then him doing anything exciting.

And there is no way he is a secret targ or blackfyre. He is the bastard of driftmark, and the velaryon's of driftmark have similarities close to targaryens.

I don't think we will see him at all actually. He never was an important character, and I think he was used to show Cersei's vanity, and to further cripple Cersei when he left with her ships.

grrm has enough storylines right now without establishing aurane water's motivations, having a POV meet him and then him doing anything exciting.

And there is no way he is a secret targ or blackfyre. He is the bastard of driftmark, and the velaryon's of driftmark have similarities close to targaryens.

Why couldn't he be a secret Blackfyre? Suppose you have a child of royal blood who is a claimant to the throne, and you know that he would be killed if the king discovered who he was. What better place to hide him than to disguise him as the bastard of a sympathetic ... Wait! I just had a strange feeling of deja vu.

There is an interesting background for the bastard of Driftmark in the perspective of a Blackfyre resurgence. The Velaryons are of Valyrian origin and have once married one of their daughters to a Targaryen King. This is how Daemon Blackfyre descended from the Velaryons on his mother's side, (but the Targaryens from the main line didn't, as far as I know). However Aurane is only a Velaryon bastard, which makes me wonder whether a bastard in search of legitimacy would support a Blackfyre pretender.

This is why I suspect Aurane would have made a choice recruit for Varys to gain to the Blackfyre cause (assuming Aegon is indeed a Blackfyre), after Aurane swore fealty to Joffrey after the BoB.

Aurane may be in league with Varys regardless of Aegon's origins, there is something fishy in the way he left despite being in Cersei's grace. I know Small Council would probably have him replaced but this way stakes for him are much higher if he is caught.

i believe Velaryons married Targs three times

I suspect he is in with the Tyrells, but may also hold some loyalty to Stannis. I get the feeling he's got a few tricks up his sleeve. You know what, he's probably working for Littlefinger :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he is of any major relevance nor will he play a decisive role. The whole reason he was introduced was for the readers to appreciate that a character may be comely with silvery blonde hair and indigo eyes without being a targaryen - the implications being obvious ie Aegon, the mummer's dragon who looks so much like a targaryen.

aurane did flee with the boats for being an oportunistic fella, he even enticed cersei, due his rhaegar-y looks

but I think that, given the big picture when shit hits the fan (think dany's coming back + other's invasion), he will be a part of dany's team. I mean, really, she has to cross the narrow sea, and it doesnt seem likely she'd join the greyjoy, even if he succeeds in controling her dragons

The whole reason he was introduced was for the readers to appreciate that a character may be comely with silvery blonde hair and indigo eyes without being a targaryen - the implications being obvious ie Aegon, the mummer's dragon who looks so much like a targaryen.

We have other characters already who are not Targaryens and yet fit that description more closely (ie: most of the Daynes); Aurane Waters has grey-green eyes, according to Cersei in AFFC.

Aurane is definitely an opportunist.

However, as Driftmark is sworn to the Dragonstone (and thus Stannis) it is possoble he has some lingering loyalty towards Stannis. It is also possible that as many of Stannis' original forces (the ones he had before Renly's death), he is a follower of R'hlor amd may have just decided that, as the autumn is over and Cersei is imprisoned, it is time to rejoin his king at the Wall. I would like this to be the case (maybe not the R'hlor part...), but I don't really see what use would ships be in a fight against the Others other than being used as supply vessels and the dromonds are clearly warships.

While Aurane Waters turning up at the Wall is unlikely, I don't think he would go become a pirate either. His dromonds are described as very large and, being galleys, would require a crew too big to sustain for longer periods. As the dromonds are too recognizable, the moment someone saw them pillaging all ports would be closed to them and they wouldn't be able to resupply themselves.

OTH, as Aurane's departure was too sudden and as noone has seen the dromonds since, it is unlikely he has enough supplies for a long journey at open sea, so he probably can't go to Mereen either.

Still, Aurane is a bastard, an opportunistic one at that, so he most likely desires recognition, respect, power, money and possibly titles and lands. I don't really see how becoming a pirate would give him any of these other than money. With Lannister rule flailing, he would logically go to the person he believed most likely to give him what he desired. It is unlikely that he knew of Aegon's sudden decision to invade, so only two options were open to him: Stannis and Dany. Would he choose Stannis who while known commander seemed defeated, but was at least in Westeros, or Dany whose capabilities and resources were unknown to him, but was rumoured to have dragons ?

Aurane is definitely an opportunist.

However, as Driftmark is sworn to the Dragonstone (and thus Stannis) it is possoble he has some lingering loyalty towards Stannis.

I don´t know if he has any loyalty toward Stannis, but he clearly was taken care by his Velaryon relatives (he was a sea captain and had his own ship) so he could have some loyalty towards them (if Lord Monford Velaryon joins Stannis again, he may do the same).

However, as Driftmark is sworn to the Dragonstone (and thus Stannis) it is possoble he has some lingering loyalty towards Stannis. It is also possible that as many of Stannis' original forces (the ones he had before Renly's death), he is a follower of R'hlor amd may have just decided that, as the autumn is over and Cersei is imprisoned, it is time to rejoin his king at the Wall. I would like this to be the case (maybe not the R'hlor part...), but I don't really see what use would ships be in a fight against the Others other than being used as supply vessels and the dromonds are clearly warships.

Wasn't there talk about "dead things in the water"? Maybe he could be the one to bring reports on that - I just don't know it to Stannis, or someone else.

Archived