Worldcon Human Chess Match

knights fake swords or I *so* love the horseheads on sticks
Yeah, you would, just because you dont have to have one. :P

Ok, Loras, I could possibly imagine with one (sorry Prod), because he's Loras :P

But RANDYLL FUCKING TARLY WITH A STICK HORSE?!!?!!

And it'll look even more ridiculous if it's me with the thing. Like it's some kind of matchstick between my legs or something.

Come on!! :P

The swords idea is great, after all, all those knights should have had big swords (Heartsbane, YEAH BABY!).

There's no way I'll be able to get my own sword before I get there though, and I dont know what's a good way to get one while there.

Yeah, you would, just because you dont have to have one. :P

Ok, Loras, I could possibly imagine with one (sorry Prod), because he's Loras :P

I would have one if i could. They're awesome!!!!!!

besides RANDYLL FUCKING TARLY should be able to make anything look hawt

besides RANDYLL FUCKING TARLY should be able to make anything look hawt

True, but I'm worried about what mystical sexual powers this thing might take on after spending the entire match right next to RT's cock, which as this thread argues, is one of the largest in the universe.

Who knows what Pandora's box we may open!!

...but I'm worried about what mystical sexual powers this thing might take on after spending the entire match right next to RT's cock

but Z said he wasn't going to play... so what? he's just holding it for you through the match?

*edit*

sean...dude...hit the post button, we're dying from anticipation here :P

but Z said he wasn't going to play... so what? he's just holding it for you through the match?

Jeez, I hadn't thought about this. RT's cock and the Zollock are going to be in the same vicinity!

MY GOD!

Have we asked any scientists what kind of repercussions this could have?

Could the tectonic plates withstand the strain so close to the San Andreas Fault?

Is this a "don't cross the streams" situation?

I'm starting to get scared.

Ok, point taken about the Dorne side having no real uniform colour, but shouldn't the Highgarden pieces have some green on them?

I know this is for George and I also know that the BwB contingent will know who the charecters are, but why cant we make it easier for Joe Bloggs off the street (so to speak) to understand? We may even help to make new fans of the series.

As has already been stated, its my understanding that the board squares will be numbered and all that needs doing is to call out the piece and the square the piece is to move to. Simplicity itself.

Once again, i'm sure this is in hand, but we should have a sheet that we can mass produce explaining - A little about the series

- Who the pieces are and what chess piece they represent

- any other info that people may feel is relevant (maybe an advert for the t-shirts)

Maybe I have this all wrong and its a closed door thing for BwB members and friends only, but if it isn't lets make it a little public friendly!!

My understanding is that it's an officially sanctioned Worldcon event, so we should expect non-BwBers, FWIW.

Colors shouldn't be a big deal. A simple green or orange armband should be enough to identify the sides, regardless of costumes. And should fit on pretty much all costumes without damaging them, right? Could even attach small chess symbols to them, I suppose, to help make things plain about which piece each participant is representing.

I know you can buy armbands via this site for, like, $70 for the whole lot, half in green and half in red. No doubt someone could find a better/cheaper option. Or make 'em. :)

OMG, I forgot!

We're actually going to have Randyll Tarly, the Zollock and RAN JEREMY in the same vicinity!

We're talking a disaster of biblical proportions here people!!!!

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - Mass Hysteria!!!!

P.S. your suggestion seems like a great idea, Ran :)

Ran you're my hero! :bow: Paired with Sean's handout idea that would be perfect.

Also, as a con sanctioned event the guys could have swords then?

I agree. I could make armbands for nothing (strips of cloth to tie around arms) as I have tons of fabric.

So BH, what do you think?

oh, if we are not using all green tunics on the highgarden side, I'll try and put the pics up tonight of the ones I have.

I'm not sure if this is approved by Dub, but we found a bunch of swords/daggers in our house over the weekend and we discussed letting some people use them.

I'll say it's first come, first serve...I can't think of anyway to be more fair.

And it's barring approval of our roommate.

(Cmon, did you really think we were dorky enough to own our own swords? :P)

I'm not sure if this is approved by Dub, but we found a bunch of swords/daggers in our house over the weekend and we discussed letting some people use them.

Are any of them big enough to be RT's detachable cock Heartsbane?

Once again, i'm sure this is in hand, but we should have a sheet that we can mass produce explaining - A little about the series

- Who the pieces are and what chess piece they represent

- any other info that people may feel is relevant (maybe an advert for the t-shirts)

I agree. :) I even said something about print-outs before.

And I do agree with making it crowd friendly. I just think we are nearly there already. 8 pretty amazing Snake Snakes against 8 dullish Highgarden pawns should be easily enough to differentiate. :) Armbands should help too if everyone is happy with that.

Regarding weapons...can we wear actual weapons or just costume plastic stuff?

oh, if we are not using all green tunics on the highgarden side, I'll try and put the pics up tonight of the ones I have.

Actually...speaking as a pawn, a green tunic might be a good idea. BH said something to me about having some sort of pullover already for us squires, so this might be taken care of. OTOH, its a nice Plan B. :)

:lol:

WOW!!! Lots and lots of activity in the last day!

Work has been hectic and stressful of late. But, I promise I will reply to all the inquries and questions later today. Thank you all for the interest! Lots of good ideas and lots of great questions. Response to follow shortly...

BH

Gah. Too much stuff. Just tell me what I'm supposed to do and I'll do it.

All this randomness about what people are supposed to wear and their items and all of that...gah.

Paddy and Sean:

There is a 4 foot tall sword that dwarfed me...which Dub tried to kill me with. (That's how we found out how blunt they were) :P

I think there may be a couple other biggish ones, I don't know if Sean wants the 4-footer and Paddy take a smaller but totally kick-ass one since Randall Tarly doesn't NEED a big sword to overcompensate for anything he has that is on the smallish size...you tell me. :P

Lany: Uh...maybe? I guess what I meant was if they were COOL expensive swords, then there's a reason to own them...but I think these were ordered from the Home Shopping Network. ;)

Archived