War is Coming… to Blu-ray and DVD Prices

Westeros

And right after we posted about HBO UK’s efforts to promote the March 5th release of Game of Thrones on Blu-ray and DVD… Amazon US and Best Buy decided to go to war on the price of the season set. Best Buy cut prices first—but Amazon US price-matched with remarkable alacrity, and now the Blu-ray can be had for 56% off(!) at just $34.99… and the DVD price has been driven down, as well, to 50% off and a $29.99 price.

Just $5 dollars separating the two… and if you missed it, we’ll note that we point out the great value in the added content for the Blu-ray in our review.

Visit the Site!

This is the second amazing price drop on Amazon.com in the last month that has not also been offered on the other Amazon sites, Amazon.ca where i have my preorder still only shows a regular 35% off if i pre-order. This is beyond unacceptable now, if this 54% price drop doesn't filter through to the other Amazon sites i will be canceling my pre-order guaranteed. Even Best buy here isn't adjusting their price for pre-orders, i think this is total garbage that only American residents are getting these deals.

This is the second amazing price drop on Amazon.com in the last month that has not also been offered on the other Amazon sites, Amazon.ca where i have my preorder still only shows a regular 35% off if i pre-order. This is beyond unacceptable now, if this 54% price drop doesn't filter through to the other Amazon sites i will be canceling my pre-order guaranteed. Even Best buy here isn't adjusting their price for pre-orders, i think this is total garbage that only American residents are getting these deals.

Unfortunatley it's pretty much par for the course. Just ask video game fans in Australia. <_<

$35! Wow, I could probably go to a retail store right now and find an unlimited amount of blu ray trash movies for this same price. Knowing that I can get 10 episodes of TV gold in HD (not to mention the countless hours of bonus features) for the same price, consider me a satisfied customer. What a steal!

For those of you outside the US, you have my sympathy.

I've also cancelled my pre-order due to the price disparity between US and Canada.

Might just have to delay gratification on this one, might be worth every dime yet I personally can't justify spending $70-$100 and a 10 episode blu-ray boxset.

This is an online site that I use frequently. Very reliable over the years. Their price is what Amazon's was before the price drop but still below what you're having to pay for it in Canada. They ship to Canada for around $6.00.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/bluray/GAME-OF-THRONES-SEASON-1-883929191505

This is an online site that I use frequently. Very reliable over the years. Their price is what Amazon's was before the price drop but still below what you're having to pay for it in Canada. They ship to Canada for around $6.00.

http://www.deepdisco...-1-883929191505

Thanks a lot, I just might use this!

I'll be asking my local retailers exactly what they will be charging first.

What's the big problem with importing from the US to Canada?

Border tarifications, dropping the price for the biggest market, and maybe a part of it reward discount for being citizen of the country that the writer and show creators are from?

I had to get in touch with Best Buy today. I pre-ordered the special edition Blu Ray set when it was 45 bucks. Once they dropped the price, you better believe I was on the phone over the 10 dollar difference. They told me I can't get my credit until my item ships. Whatever happened to charging people once the item ships? Then, you can avoid these things. Another reason to hate Best Buy.

Border tarifications, dropping the price for the biggest market, and maybe a part of it reward discount for being citizen of the country that the writer and show creators are from?

So, how much would those border tarifications be? Won't it still be way cheaper to buy from the US instead of the Canadian Amazon?

As for the rest you're saying, I don't see how that makes it problematic to import.

My point is, you don't want to spend $70, so just buy it from the US.

Shit son I must have gone full retarded.

Item(s) Subtotal: $34.99

Shipping & Handling: $7.98

Total Before Tax: $42.97

Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00

Import Fees Deposit $4.69

Grand Total: $47.66

I'll be getting it between the 16th and 28th of March, doesn't seem like I'll get any of preorder bonuses like Best Buy, no Stark sleeve or Keychain but I'll take it!

Wow, well if they can get it to Europe within 8 days I can't see it being much longer to cross the border.

Thanks again, I just assumed there was a penalty because once I went to order a few pocket books that cost 2 dollars a piece but the shipping was over $20 and the books weren't heavy.

I'm amazed that it is this cheap and can't understand why anyone would order it from the Canadian branch of Amazon if it cost $20+, I feel like I missed something...

So i have some good news for my fellow Canadian brothers and sisters, i have pre-ordered the Blu-Ray's on Amazon.com not Amazon.ca and am getting them at the $34.99 price tag.

Friday in disgust with Amazon i canceled my pre-order on Amazon.ca that was $64.99 which was only a 35% off deal, Full retail price for the Blu-Ray set on Amazon.ca is $99. So i decided to see what would happen if i went and ordered the Blu-Rays on Amazon.com the American site. At first i thought because im Canadian i would get a message saying i must order through Amazon.ca at the $64.99 price tag, my friends that was not the case. I placed my order through Amazon.com at the $34.99 and it went through, because i live in Canada i also have to pay $7.98 shipping and handling and an additional $4.69 Import fees. This my friends brings the cost for me to Import the Blu-Ray boxset from the states at $47.66 exactly, even with the additional Shipping and Import fees i am paying roughly 20 dollars less than the $64.99 that i would be paying going through Amazon.ca. The only downside is it will take an extra week for me to receive it, i chose the standard slow shipping to save money.

I urge all my fellow Canadian Westerosi to do the same and change your pre-order or if you haven't ordered yet, order directly from Amazon.com not Amazon.ca. This works great for us Canadians because our dollar is almost exactly on a 1:1 with the American dollar.

Nice, so it's the exact same to ship it to Toronto as Montreal.

I guess all major border cities will have the same price, I was also surprised that amazon.com wouldn't simply convert the price to amazon.ca prices.

I don't understand how the same company wouldn't have price parity, especially considering that in my mind it should be less expensive to order in Canada from a Canadian site.

I doubt retail will have such a packed 10 episode boxset go for any less than $49-$59 at the retail level in the month leading to season 2.

A sure way to guess would be if you can remember the difference between preorder and drop date prices for HBO series that have been released previously. I never purchased boxsets of Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Rome, Deadwood, Wire or any other of these popular shows so I wouldn't know how they usually play the price game.

Archived