One small fact: Joffrey was not evil

Cap Ou Pas Cap

She would have blamed it on Renly being a bad influence.

I just realised I wrote that reply in the wrong thread. It was meant for the "did Joffrey molest Tommen" thread. Wow it looks so out-of-place. We're supposed to be talking about redeeming features and I mentioned that he molested his brother instead of his sister. Crap.

To your point though, she's not homophobic. She wanted to kiss the Myrish Swamp Girl.

I have been going through a few interviews with George Martin and found him saying that no character in ASoIaF is purely evil. And he added that "even Hitler loved animals". We know Ramsay Sno(t)w likes his beasts. Now what about Joffrey?

This might be the shortest thread ever, but I challenge you to post redeeming qualities of Joffrey. One (or more) small fact(s) showing that he was not purely evil. And "His death made me happy" does not count.

This will be either non-existant or a very interesting thread. Where did Martin hide Joffrey's goodness?

See I would argue that just because you do a little good in your life it doesn't erase all the bad you've done. Hitler was evil, loving animals doesn't change that. Joffrey was a cruel little jerk and by the end wasn't redeemable in any way. There are some things you can't make up for with a small donation to PETA

Joffrey's equivalent to Hitler loving animals is obviously his love for his father, Robert, and desire to please him. He also had some affection for his mother and for Sansa now and then, early on.

He's basically a case study in a kid who has no firm guidance from parents, and no hard knocks from reality that might have compensated that lack of early guidance, and who is then given absolute power.

Normally a kid with no firm guidance from parents might grow up to be anything from a brat to a criminal; but add lack of reality checks and absolute power to the mix and you have the monster, Joffrey.

He was a momma's boy. Always trying to impress mommy and his "daddy" so he cared about them to that extent. He probably imagined he was doing a lot of good when he took that knife and sent someone to kill Bran.

I like that (he) allowed Tyrion to b**** slap him a few times and tell him off. I'm not sure if it was from fear or respect???

• 4 weeks later...

Even though GRRM says no character is purely evil, I don't buy it. Gregor Clegane is absolute pure evil. Joffrey was at least 90% evil. I guess he was nice to his mother is about the only good thing you could say about him.

What? Gregor evil? I heard he was extremely fond of defenseless babies and raping women. Yeah I have no clue of how Martin could put a bow on that pig. He loved his sword???? Oh he liked to play that classic game of burn your little brothers face off.

The only real quality that is redeeming of Joffery's is that he had two fathers and neither gave a sh*t about him. That is the only thing I can feel bad for when I think of him, and only that's just a really small amount of the bottom of my heart.

Just as he was dying,I thought he was trying to say-"Everyone else gets a redemption arc.....choke,choke"

:cool4: :laugh:

Though I really, really, really don't want Ramsay Bolton to get a redemption arc. (I want him dead. Not tortured, not degraded; just quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly dead.)

I think Joffrey was well on his way to becoming Aerys or Ramsay Bolton in terms of the level of his viciousness and cruelty. Once he came of age, there would be no one who could check him. At least Aerys had the excuse of severe PTSD after being held captive and abused at Duskendale; not that it excuses his passion for barbecuing people alive; but I have slightly more sympathy for him than I do for Joffrey and would have preferred to have seen him locked up in a chamber with padded walls and barred windows instead of murdered. Joffrey was raised not with the Targaryen burning-people-alive fixation, but with the Lannister arrogance and sense of entitlement raised to maximum without his Lannister grandfather's iron self-control. But Joffrey was old enough, in my opinion, to understand that beating and stripping a hostage because her brother was winning a rebellion was inappropriate, to say the least; and he did it anyway. He started the War of Five Kings by executing Ned to flaunt his new kingship before the masses.

While I sympathize slightly with Joffrey over the manner of his death, the Tyrells and Littlefinger did Westeros a huge favor by killing the little beast before he could inflict more damage. They shouldn't have pinned the murder on Tyrion and, by association, Sansa, though.

Poor Joffrey. With a distant 'father' and an overbearing mother, Good King Joff did not grow up in the healthiest of families. Having been mollycoddled for too long, his abilities ignored, he was forced to rely on drunken Robertisms ('a strong King strikes boldly') to shape his view of governance. That's how we end up with the tragic attempted murder of Bran: Joffrey was trying to impress his useless father, to demonstrate to the drunken sot that his heir understood. Ditto with the Butchers Boy: no-one (including the high and mighty Jon Arryn) had ever bothered to teach him differently. The lad doesn't lack in courage - he was very willing to personally fight for King's Landing, and he even dares to criticise Tywin's fence-sitting during Robert's Rebellion - but the courage all goes to waste. If ever there was a victim of his environment, it was Joffrey.

Such an impressionable lad, and so vulnerable to those whose advice may not necessarily be in his interest. There were quite clearly other forces at work in the execution of Ned Stark (who's interests were served by war, I wonder?), and the common misguided accusation that this was simply sadism is unfounded. If anything, it was Joffrey rebelling against his golden chains, telling his mother, and the eunuch, that he was in charge. It is not actually too different from Tommen wanting to participate in Small Council meetings.

Then there is the cat. Yes, cutting open a cat is horrible. Did he learn anything from it? Did his wise father realise how much his son needed help? Of course not. Like the thug he was, Robert beat the lad, teaching him nothing but violence being the only solution. His similarly unhealthy view of sexuality (poor Sansa) can similarly be traced back to his womanising father and a mother that refused to accept in her own mind that Joffrey had now hit puberty.

All this in the end cost poor Joff his life. Margaery never got a chance to redeem this poor, messed up individual: the vile schemers had him murdered most horribly in the midst of his power.

Good King Joffrey, the King who never had a chance.

He was a good employer to those who were capable at their jobs. He gave praise to the Hound after the melee, saying it was well struck.

He was creative when naming swords.

Collectors or rare books liked him because he went out of his way to increase the vaue of their copies.

Ser Illyan loved his job, an Joff kept him busy.

That's all I have.

Archived