Most Annoying Saying

brushed her hair till it shone - does it even work in real world?

It does for me, actually :).

I suppose I am missing something here, because none of the "usual" phrases really bither me greatly. Whenever I see one of them repeated, I am glad to be in the world of ASOIAF and I know what they mean and ... you know, they just belong there. So "it is known", "you know nothing, Jon Snow", "I am young and inexperienced in ways of ...", "words are wind" and such do not really bother me so.

That said, "a maiden flowered" (really :blink: ?) is weird and "coz" feels very much out of place.

The only two that I didn't care for are Dany's "I am just a young girl" blah and "nipples on a breastplate." I would almost add "It is known," but that one serves the purpose of showing that the people who say it are ignorant, whereas the former two are just annoying.

I don't know... I think the repeated phrases are a nice touch and I believe that they're intentionally repeated. Many of them are standard sayings that people would say out of habit esp. in a medieval setting were most people are uneducated and almost all are superstitious (e.g. Dark wings, dark words). Also, Martin seems to repeat phrases in his narration, esp. relating to certain characters' behaviour. For example, Davos always "reaches up to touch his luck", and in Sansa's POVs a belly is referred to as a tummy (elsewhere it's called a belly), which would be what Sansa would call her belly. I think it's just the writers style and in all probability conscious decisions. I studied Homer for a while and he always used the same phrases to refer to things. The Greek ships were always called the "black-hulled ships" and Achilles was always referred to as "manslaying Achilles", while the Trojans were called "horsetamer Trojans". This happened ad nauseam, but it had a purpose, namely it helped the singer remember the words(the Iliad and Odyssey were initially meant to be performed as songs, accompanied by music). The same happened with songs in other cultures and later with medieval songs. I suspect that Martin is using this style, along with more medieval-sounding language as a way of alluding to the setting of the novels. Perhaps, I'm reading too much into it, though, because I studied literature for too long and I can read secret references and layers of meaning out of anything. :dunno:

Really tired of:

• Much and more, little and less (Liked them the first few times, but it seems they weren't used in AGOT, then "discovered" and used all the time in ACOK, run into the ground)

I did a quick search, 'much & more' is not used at all in GOT, used 1 time in ACOK, handful of times in ASOS, about a dozen times in AFFC and truely overused 30+ times in ADWD. Listening to the audiobooks, it makes me cringe nearly every time I hear it.

I used to get so annoyed with this phrase... Untill I was doing some reading about "green living" ad there was a whole chapter devoted to all the crap we put in our hair. If you don't use shampoo and conditioner, (it takes a long time for your hair to get rid of all the chemicals) all that's really required for shiny hair is a good washing to get the dirt out, and brushing it.

I haven't tried this yet, but it stands to reason that hair care was a whole different beast before we had shampoo.

You're right actually. Do a google search on going "no poo" and there is a ton of information about it. I rarely wash my hair nowadays and use no gel or hairspray. It took awhile to transition but I've got really soft and shiny hair. A simple vinegar rinse on your roots will go a long way. And yeah, I can be rather vain about my hair.

"What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger."

Bloody ironborn. :bang:

That saying always reminds me of those prostetic penises they used to implant to transexuals; essentially they had to choose between a 100% flesh penis that was always limp, or a penis with a prostetic filling that would be always erect and live with a perpetual boner (I don´t know if it´s still that way; I watched the documentary ages ago)

Archived