NFL Free Agency - Peyton Manning Thunderdome Edition

Jaime L

The Browns saying they are not interested in Manning

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/08/browns-say-theyre-not-interested-in-peyton-manning/

Off course they are not; he is way out of their league :laugh:

I think they are going after RG3. It'll be hard to beat out Snyder and the Redskins though who also seem to be out of the Manning derby.

Thinking about it, I actually do buy into the notion that the Chiefs have the pieces such that if you add (a healthy) Manning and Wayne, you're got just about everything you need to contend for a Superbowl. A good #1 receiver in Bowe and a #2 in Wayne. Decent O-line and amazing RB in Charles. The D has one of the best sack artists in football in Hali, a great linebacker in Derrick Johnson and a fantastic secondary. Also the best (or second best) homefield advantage in football. The only three concerns I see:

1) The Montana factor - is there where Hall of Fame QBs go to die?

2) Romeo Crennel as head coach. He doesn't exactly inspire confidence based on his history. But then Manning may like a coach he'll feel like he can override, especially when it comes to the offense.

Those first two are probably pretty trivial, but the big one I see:

3) The Chiefs are a creepy as fuck organization if there's any truth to the wiretapping story which broke after the Haley firing. If it is true Pioli's been wiretapping phones or if there's even the perception that it's true, that's the kind of thing which could scare off Peyton I would think. Can't imagine a big brother like atmosphere being a big selling point.

Vegas odds on where he ends up:

Surprised the Cardinals are getting better odds than the Dolphins.

Thinking about it, I actually do buy into the notion that the Chiefs have the pieces such that if you add (a healthy) Manning and Wayne, you're got just about everything you need to contend for a Superbowl. A good #1 receiver in Bowe and a #2 in Wayne. Decent O-line and amazing RB in Charles. The D has one of the best sack artists in football in Hali, a great linebacker in Derrick Johnson and a fantastic secondary. Also the best (or second best) homefield advantage in football. The only three concerns I see:

1) The Montana factor - is there where Hall of Fame QBs go to die?

2) Romeo Crennel as head coach. He doesn't exactly inspire confidence based on his history. But then Manning may like a coach he'll feel like he can override, especially when it comes to the offense.

Those first two are probably pretty trivial, but the big one I see:

3) The Chiefs are a creepy as fuck organization if there's any truth to the wiretapping story which broke after the Haley firing. If it is true Pioli's been wiretapping phones or if there's even the perception that it's true, that's the kind of thing which could scare off Peyton I would think. Can't imagine a big brother like atmosphere being a big selling point.

Surprised the Cardinals are getting better odds than the Dolphins.

Excellent points. Also do not discount the Chargers factor. I genuinely believe that this is the one team Peyton is uneasy about facing. Used to be NE, but after the 2006 AFC Championship game hurdle, I think him and the Indy fans were confident about that match up. However the chargers always brought the worst out of Peyton for some reason. The Chrgers are probably not the same team that they were a couple of years ago, but still....

Excellent points. Also do not discount the Chargers factor. I genuinely believe that this is the one team Peyton is uneasy about facing. Used to be NE, but after the 2006 AFC Championship game hurdle, I think him and the Indy fans were confident about that match up. However the chargers always brought the worst out of Peyton for some reason. The Chrgers are probably not the same team that they were a couple of years ago, but still....

This is true, and I mentioned it very, very briefly during my comments on the Chiefs. Since 2006, the Colts-Patriots rivalry has(had) become an actual rivalry. With both teams splitting the games. San Diego, on the other hand, is his kryptonite.

I still remember that incredible game in 2007 (one week after the loss to the Patriots) when Peyton threw 5 interceptions before somehow driving the Colts into position for a go-ahead Vinitari chip-shot that was missed. The game ended (rather fittingly) with Peyton's sixth interception of the night.

Interestingly enough, the Colts lost that game by two points. And if not for an inadvertant whistle that wiped out a 100+ yard pick-six by Bob Sanders, that game would have been won (most likely) by the Colts.

Sorry to back-to-back here, but this is bugging me and I feel it deserves its own post.

I keep hearing about how Peyton should got to Arizona/Seattle for the same reasons:

-Each have some offensive pieces.

-Each have a young and rising defense.

-Each are in a weak division.

Anyone else see the problems that come with that third part?

In the NFC West, Peyton would be playing the 49'ers twice a year. You know, the team that's become attached to their coach on a borderline fanatical level, and plays the best defensive ball in the league.

Then he gets to play the weak Rams, that's great.

But then he has to play Arizona/Seattle twice a year... You know, that team with a few good offensive weapons, and a young and rising defense? That team with a few offensive weapons, and a young and rising defense that Peyton decided wasn't as good as the other team with a few offensive weapons and a young a rising defense?

A minimum of four games a year with teams that have great/good defenses sure sounds like the thing Peyton would love to me.

Not to mention that the NFC West will be playing the NFC North and the AFC East this year.

That means that Peyton will have to face Tom Brady again. At New England if he chooses Seattle, at Arizona if he chooses Arizona. Then he'll have to face The Jets, and say goodbye to Larry Fitz/Sidney Rice(Reggie Wayne, actually, Rice will be hurt) for the rest of the game. Not to mention the Dolphins, who have a few offensive weapons and a young and rising defense.

Then he'll have to face the high-octane Packers and Lions, as well as the defense of the Bears (Julius Peppers once gave Peyton Manning a concussion), and put up with Jared Allen humping his ass up and down the field.

Wow, Arizona/Seattle 's roads to the superbowl are paving themselves, right!?!

Just those I mentioned (not counting the Jared Allen reference) are ten games that sound so easily won.

Honestly, now. Next to those ten games I've mentioned, how great do two games against the Rams, a game against the Vikings, and a game against the Bills really look? Not to mention that the Cardinals will likely be playing against the Eagles and Cowboys at some point, and the Seahawks will likely be playing the Cowboys, Eagles, or Panthers at some point. Granted, the Panthers game sounds like a walk in the park, but there's also an outside chance that the Seahawks will be playing the Redskins, who have that talked-about defense with such a great pass-rush.

If you really think Peyton Manning gives a fuck about any of that shit Sivin...you are sorely underestimating your former Colt hero.

I mean really, you think Manning is looking at the upcoming schedule and scaring himself out of which teams are viable contenders for his services???

Manning is going to go to a team that he feels he can get back to the Super Bowl with, plain and simple. His opponents be damned.

If you really think Peyton Manning gives a fuck about any of that shit Sivin...you are sorely underestimating your former Colt hero.

I mean really, you think Manning is looking at the upcoming schedule and scaring himself out of which teams are viable contenders for his services???

Manning is going to go to a team that he feels he can get back to the Super Bowl with, plain and simple. His opponents be damned.

That's part of winning the superbowl. Why play the best teams in the league before you have to? You don't break through a brick wall if there's an unlocked door a few feet away. Do you really think that Peyton isn't going to pick the path of least resistance?

That's part of winning the superbowl. Why play the best teams in the league before you have to? You don't break through a brick wall if there's an unlocked door a few feet away. Do you really think that Peyton isn't going to pick the path of least resistance?

Every division except the AFC West has tough teams. And divisions change every year.

Peyton's going to pick a team that he feels needs only him in order to be crowned Cock of the Walk. That might be KC and it might not. He might weigh playing SF twice with Arizona/Seattle offensive lines to protect him, but not out of fear. I think he'd look at it more as "Do either of those two teams have the ability to give me a chance to win against SF?"

Then, as he's coming up to the table to announce which team he's signing with, he'll read the audience and call the appropriate audible to torch them all.

I'm not just talking about tough teams in the division, I'm talking about a brutal schedule. Peyton can pick at his leisure, why pick one of those teams (who might not have as much talent as advertised) and face such a hard road when you can go with a team that offers much better chances at success?

Edit for LL's post:

Peyton's signing announcement press conference:

(Peyton approaches the podium and surveys the crowd, planning his move)

He sees a reporter with shifty eyes, Manning quickly takes advantage of the man. "Mirror, mirror, Arizona!"

Manning is ready to go with his new option, but now notices that Dan Snyder has somehow infiltrated the event, his counter is obvious. "Check, check, check. 12th man! 12th man! Omaha!

Manning nearly makes the call, but the sound goes out and the chance to take advantage of the mistake is lost. Luckily, he has done his research and knows the tendencies of Philbin. He makes the correct adjustment and must make his call, lest the clock run out.

The one-man-franchise takes a breath and announces: -------

Dude, he's going to sign for more than 1 year. Get over it.

ETA: Also you think Manning was looking at the schedule for past years thinking,"Fuck dude!! I gotta play BRADY THIS YEAR?!?! ARRRGHHH!!!"

Dude is a fucking future HOFer...dude is a gamer...he wants to be the best, and he wants to play the best.

Peyton's going to pick a team that he feels needs only him in order to be crowned Cock of the Walk. That might be KC and it might not. He might weigh playing SF twice with Arizona/Seattle offensive lines to protect him, but not out of fear. I think he'd look at it more as "Do either of those two teams have the ability to give me a chance to win against SF?"

Then, as he's coming up to the table to announce which team he's signing with, he'll read the audience and call the appropriate audible to torch them all.

If he does the arm-waving motions and gesticulations while he's calling the audible, he would convert me into a fan.

ETA: Also you think Manning was looking at the schedule for past years thinking,"Fuck dude!! I gotta play BRADY THIS YEAR?!?! ARRRGHHH!!!"

Dude is a fucking future HOFer...dude is a gamer...he wants to be the best, and he wants to play the best.

Got to say I agree 100% with Dub here. I bet Manning wants to get himself into a good situation, but I highly doubt part of his consideration is who has an easy schedule on tap for next year. You have to figure he wants to go somewhere and win so he can stick it to the Colts. All the more impressive if he can beat the good teams along the way to winning.

I don't think that Peyton cares about what opposition he faces as far as single games. My gut tells me that he's going to go all gangster on the rest of the league. You thought that Aaron Rodgers was the best, or that Drew Brees was all that great because he threw for a bunch of yards? Fuck you, he was throwing for 4700 yards when the rest of the league could actually legally defend passers. 5500 yards in a shortened offseason? Watch Peyton throw for 6k to a bunch of guys that no one's heard of. Ooh, the big strong Jets....so scary. Hey Revis, it turns out that the rest of your team is pretty shitty and Peyton knows exactly how to deal with a shutdown corner; he did it for 5 years to Denver with Champ Bailey over and over. Heck, they got TWO shutdown corners and he just set records for QB rating while going on a hot date with the Denver's D's moms.

And the Pats? Oh please. What, is Brady going to outscore Peyton? Is Belichick going to be on defense? Cause if not, you're looking at the team that almost got beat by Joe Flacco.

Arizona and Seattle? What, are TJax and John Skelton going to give Peyton any competition? And heck, if Eli can beat the 49ers, so can Peyton.

Yeah, I'm predicting that no matter where he goes he's going to go into true fuck you mode.

This is exciting simply because it is like a Fantasy Football trade. It is something we have all wondered. The what if factor for any player. A star player practically getting to pick his new team. Getting to see Peyton start again with a different team will be fun. I hate to say it but I will be cheering for him.*

*unless he is playing the Patriots of course.

Archived