NFL Free Agency - Peyton Manning Thunderdome Edition

Jaime L

Cardinals have just an atrocious offensive line though and they're probably losing Levi Brown. As appealing as playing with Larry Fitz might be, I think I'd prefer either Denver or Miami because I won't be spending the whole season running for my life.

I dunno, every place has its drawbacks.

Yeah, if the barometer is playoff ready, Denver fits the bill best over Miami or Arizona. I suppose you'd have to figure cap room into that equation as well in terms of how many Free Agents each team could add, but it seems to me that Denver would be the front-runner.

All the Raiders fans around here are shitting bricks. :rofl:

The Colts continue their house cleaning

http://profootballta...dianapolis-too/

They have already cut Brackett and are also seeking to trade Freeny.

These moves please me, as well as some of the more recent:

http://profootballta...dianapolis-too/

Addai, Clark, Brackett, Bullet, and Painter are all gone in one day.

The only one I wish could have stayed is Bullet, but he seems to have bought into too much of Bob Sanders' legacy.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if he ends up in Denver. The strongest rule in football is "Sivin is always wrong"

Again, it doesn't make sense to use Denver for leverage instead of using Washington, the ultimate leverage team. If you don't think he's serious about Denver, you're kidding yourself.

Sivin has been wrong. This reminds me of when Kurt Warner went to San Francisco a few years back. No one actually though he'd leave Arizona after that superbowl run, but they couldn't afford to ignore it.

Agreed. He's not going to bother visiting teams that he's not seriously considering. Why not Denver? Solid defense, weak division, AFC team and a solid O-line. The only thing I see standing in the way is the Big Tebowski and management doesn't appear to be concerned.

Denver does not have a solid defense, and you're as foolish as the new Raiders GM if you think otherwise. The team played a plethora of mediocre offenses down the stretch, and were aided by the Tebow bullshit that limited opposing possessions.

Many of Peyton's best games have been outdoors; come to think of it, a few have been against Denver at Denver in jan. he does not need a dome or warm weather to be successful. His 6 int game was in SD after all.

The notion that manning is this hothouse flower is just so odd.

I agree that the warm weather and dome bullshit is just that, bullshit. As long as it isn't heavy snow or rain, I've never seen Manning affected by weather.

The only exception would be that San Diego game Kalbear mentioned, when it rained for the first time in like 6 months. That was also the day that Dwight Freeny's foot broke in multiple places, Tony Ugho got hurt (we still believed in him back then), and Ryan Deim fucked up his leg but had to go back in because his backup also got hurt.

That was a bad day for Colts fans, one week after "Superbowl 41 1/2", and it all came down to a rare Vinitari shank.

Denver does not have a solid defense, and you're as foolish as the new Raiders GM if you think otherwise. The team played a plethora of mediocre offenses down the stretch, and were aided by the Tebow bullshit that limited opposing possessions.

Okay, so of the three contenders (Mia, Den, Ari) whose got the easiest path to the playoffs with Fetushead at the helm?

Okay, so of the three contenders (Mia, Den, Ari) whose got the easiest path to the playoffs with Fetushead at the helm?

I got lost in my own argument when I stated that Peyton would want to go to the team with the easiest schedule, I was just trying to explain that it's stupid for all of these "experts" to be saying how easy it would be to win in the NFC West, because it wouldn't be.

I don't know if Peyton would like that challenge, or be deterred by it, I just wanted to offer my attempt to debunk this "cakewalk NFC West" bullshit.

I know you were joking, Manhole, but I couldn't resist answering your question. Below are the opponent schedules for the three teams you mentioned. The asterisks are the "competitive games" that are determined from strength of schedule, so they should be correct, but I offer on guarantee on that.

Miami: AFC South/NFC West

Jets2

Patriots2

Bills2

Colts

Texans

Titans

Jaguars

49’ers

Cardinals

Seahawks

Rams

*Brownies*

*Chargers*

Denver: NFC East/ AFC North

Chargers2

Chiefs2

Raiders2

Eagles

Giants

Redskins

Cowboys

Ravens

Steelers

Brownies

Bengals

*Patriots*

*Texans*

Arizona: AFC East/NFC North

Seahawks2

Rams2

49’ers2

Bears

Vikings

Lions

Packers

Jets

Dolphins

Patriots

Bills

*Eagles*

*Cowboys*

__

Actually, none of those look like easy schedules, but I guess that the Dolphins (and by extension the Jets) have it the easiest. Once you get out of the division you should have some winnable games. Split the division at 3-3 (assume a sweep by the Jets/Dolphins or Patriots), then the NFC West is a split at worst, but not impossible to sweep. And then take a stroll through the AFC South before snacking on the Chargers and Brownies (if he went with Miami). The Jets' potential opponents are most likely: Bengals, Chargers, Chiefs, Raiders. With the Raiders and Chargers being the most likely.

Many of Peyton's best games have been outdoors; come to think of it, a few have been against Denver at Denver in jan. he does not need a dome or warm weather to be successful. His 6 int game was in SD after all.

The notion that manning is this hothouse flower is just so odd.

Manning's winning percentage outdoors is 60%, in domes it is 78%.... San Diego is outdoors...

Just saw that. HOLY FUCK that's a lot. On the one hand, they've needed a QB for like 6 years now and have to compete with Eli, Romo, and Vick in the division. This deal is more about 5 years from now, if he pans out, where the other teams should be transitioning while RGIII nearing his prime. But man, they are going to have to hit on lower round picks and free agency to get his weapons.

Wow! I know that RG III is a special talent, but that's fucking crazy! I have to wonder what Cleveland was offering for that to go through, and I'm wondering whether Jeff Fisher (and his GM) are world-class poker players.

Dan Snyder and Shanny just made a risky-ass move. Before I thought it might be funny if a team traded to get RG III and he stunk it up, but this is fucking serious. 3 #1's and a #2, I'm trying to wrap my head around that... It's over twice the value of what was traded for Rickey Williams...

Edit:

It appears that the deal isn't official, and they'll have to wait until Tuesday to put it through... plenty of time for Cleveland to throw the house at the Rams, or for the Redskins to back off if they get cold feet.

Now I've got two things to look forward too on Tuesday.

Denver Post reporting that Manning and the Broncos are meeting again in the Morning.

I am damn near shaking with excitement. I was shocked to find the Broncos on the short list. Now I am hoping he never leaves town. GO ELWAY GO!

Oh yeah, I'll be the first: congrats to the Redskins. Either RG3 will be a collosal bust or the next Elway, but you're not getting mediocrity - and I think that he'll be a star. 2 additional firsts and a second sounds painful, but it doesn't take RG3 much to earn that back in kind.

Now watch as Snyder goes nuts in FA.

Also, this makes it pretty clear why Manning said he wasn't interested; Snyder wanted a quick answer so he could move on RG3 if Manning was a no.

ETA: Three first rounders and a second? Damn....that is a blockbuster trade. The Hoodie loves this for St. Louis.

Nice, this is all just a dastardly ploy by Billy-B.

The Browns will now trade 3 #1's for Bradford, and the Patriots will trade Tom Brady to the Redskins in return for RG3, and when the Rams find themselves without a QB they'll be forced to trade one of the #1's to New England for Ryan Mallett. They'll then find out he's a bust during training camp and trade two #1's for Matt Flynn (who New England will have acquired by now), however, Flynn was a system-QB and can't even complete a pass in their offensive scheme. Things are getting desperate now in St. Louis, so they'll trade three #1's back to New England for RG III. But just after clearing his physical it will be discovered that he's renouncing all material life and becoming a buddist monk. Then New England will send a 5th rounder to St. Louis for the rights to RG III (because he might change his mind). Tom Brady will hold out in Washington, demanding a trade, so the Redskins will trade Brady to the Rams for three more #1's. But Brady still isn't happy, so Hoodie will give the Rams two first-rounders and Patrick Chung to get Brady back. They will then trade RG III back to the Redskins for three #1's before Dan Snyder realizes that the young man has moved to Nepal.

Sorry about the insanity above, I'm excited!

If anyone actually read all of that nonsense and can tell me how many draft picks the Patriots acquire, I'll give you a virtual pat on the head.

Jesus fuck, 3 1s and a 2? Herschel Walker, anyone?

Anybody have JL's number, actually? I used to a couple of phones ago. A little concerned, that's a lot of picks.

Also, Schefter just mentioned that the Skins are still going after Peyton... really? Interesting.

Also also, El Shitbox just signed an extension.

Jesus fuck, 3 1s and a 2? Herschel Walker, anyone?

Isn't the "3 1s" kinda relative. I mean, they're swapping this year's number 1s. Not implying position isn't important, just wondering if stressing the 3 is as big of a deal as it is?

If that makes sense.

Archived