The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

Winterfell is bigger than Red Keep,by Ned's account.

LordBloodraven,I am getting mine in the middle of Nov,please share some more - BRAAVOS. Is there Izembaro?

Bigger than the Red Keep? I must have missed that. I'm still unrolling the map so stay close. I'm looking at KL right now. This city need to be google mapped

Bigger than the Red Keep? I must have missed that. I'm still unrolling the map so stay close. I'm looking at KL right now. This city need to be google mapped

Arya chapter,her dream about Red Keep and blood from the walls,and Ned reassures her.Catelyn also comments on Winterfell and its vast space.

Thanks!! :)

So,Izembaro could be a person... Or institution.

Arya chapter,her dream about Red Keep and blood from the walls,and Ned reassures her.Catelyn also comments on Winterfell and its vast space.

Thanks!! :)

So,Izembaro could be a person... Or institution.

I knew that it was big, but not that big ;). I think Izembarro is a person too, a Braavosi more likely since Arya needs to change her face

@Bushido: Can you read?

As a German, I had to read the English version of ADwD to learn wtf you folks are arguing about.

The German translation of the line goes this way: "Morgen gehst du zu Izembaro und trittst Deine erste Lehre an."

The German "gehen zu" means definitely "going to someone, somebody, some person".

The German "gehen nach" would mean "going to someplace".

I think GRRM has some control of the book translations, so Izembaro is a person, probably a male Braavosi, as was already pointed out. I might add that the German "gehen zu" means, strictly speaking, to walk to someone (by foot), not "using a boat" or "going by dragon". So you are looking for a person, probably male, living in short distance from the house of Black and White, that can be reached by only using bridges.

Have a look at the newly edited city map of Braavos. That can't be but 100 000 inhabitants!

Just so. :read:

Oh,interesting!! Thanks!

My translation actually hints at place,rather than person. Could it be that translators made a choice on their own?

Never heard of different book translations in such an important point. The author would go berserk. What language is your copy in?

Hey guys, I wouldn't base interpretations on translations. I doubt GRRM has any control of them. I think Bushido is right and the translators just decide stuff for themselves. Believe me, there has been some really atrocious stuff in different languages. My favourites are still the translations that said that the direwolf-mama was killed by a unicorn in AGOT and the one that said greyscale is a crocodile.

So in the Dothraki sea, we have Vaes Khaddokh/Essaria (City of Corpses), Vaes Graddakh/Sarys (City of Waste), Vaes Diaf (City of Skulls) Vojjor Samui (Broken Gods). Dothrakis have been busy

And we can add to the list Vaes Leisi (City of Ghosts) and Vaes Aresak/Ibbish (City of Cowards). Busy indeed.

I find it interesting that Vaes Leisi doesn't have a name given to it by its original inhabitants.

Never heard of different book translations in such an important point. The author would go berserk. What language is your copy in?

I don't think the author is multi-lingual, nor do I think the author has time to assist in editing dozens of translations. Translation is usually left to someone else. I have briefly browsed through the Spanish and Korean version and found a number of humorous translations that present a problem.

Besides that, the English version, which is the language the author used to write the books, is unclear on whether it's a person or a place.

“Wear this when you are here,” the priest said, “but know that you shall have little need of it for the present. On the morrow you will go to Izembaro to begin your first apprenticeship..."

The way it's written, it learns more towards it being a place rather than a person. The first sentence is talking about a place (here) and then goes on to say she will go to Izembaro. It's not exactly the way one would phrase something if one is referring to a person. It's not incorrect, but one would expect a different verb (see, talk to, visit) when referring to a person rather than a place.

All ruined cities. They look like Valyrian outposts that have been wiped out by the Dothraki

I had a similar theory upon seeing the sample the other day. Sarys definitely sounds Valyrian. It's not really the Dothraki's MO to completely wipe out cities, though, is it? I was thinking these cities may have been destroyed in the Doom along with Valyria, or else they died off quickly after the capital vanished. It seems like if they had survived the Doom as well as the free cities did the Dothraki would've treated them similarly and just extorted them instead of outright sacking them.

Anyone else all of the sudden extremely interested in the lands to the far east? Maybe even more so because it will most likely be an eternal mystery. Sorry for you fans out there itching for some map action, maybe this will suffice:

To the far east of the known world Bonetown lies on the brim of a massive canyon (nearly the size of Slaver's Bay) called The Dry Deep. Judging by the artwork this thing seems 100 km deep or more.

K'Dath is located Northwest of Bonetown in the middle of desert/grasslands.

To the south of The Dry Deep is a transcription 'Cities of the Bloodless Men'. Bloodless Men? Literally or figuratively? WTF? And there are no cities marked, just the words 'CotBM' across what seems to be mixed desert and prairie.

To the north of Bonetown and K'Dath are two deserts labeled 'Cannibal Sands' that straddle THE GREY WASTE. The western border of this area is a huge inland sea, the Bleeding Sea and on the map it is literally red.

The northern part of the continent is a forested region labeled Mossovy and a lesser area N'Ghai. A city by the name of Nefer lies at the mouth of a river that feeds into The Thousand Islands, a system of archipelago-esque landmasses at the southeastern part of The Shivering Sea, the northern edge of Essos.

One of the most interesting locations IMO are The Five Forts. Between the Bleeding Sea and Bonetown and K'Dath is the Land of the Shrykes. The Five Forts is an arc of "castles" that span from the shores of the Bleeding Sea to the mountains bordering The Dry Deep, seemingly to separate the Shrykes from Yi Ti. And let me tell you about Yi Ti... not a city. It seems like a country or vast region with forest/jungle to the south along the Jade Sea and prairie lands further inland.

Man, I'm geeking out.

I could go on about possible tectonic shift and continental drift theories I have just from looking at the landscape. Much respect to the artist Jonathan Roberts.

Archived