The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

How does he define city, do you know? Would Barrowtown be the closest thing to a second city the North has?

Martin has stated before that White Harbor and Gulltown have populations "in the tens of thousands", while Barrowton, Duskendale and Stoney Sept are examples of large towns, which have populations in the thousands.

Based on the above, I have always assigned them populations as follows:

Gulltown - 60,000

White Harbor - 50,000 (halfway between 10,000 and 100,000, which falls in the middle of the definition of "tens of thousands")

Barrowton, Stoney Sept, Duskendae - 5,000 to 10,000 each. There is no way of knowing which of these three are larger than the others, so I place them all on the same level until we have more information. Barrowton is confirmed as the second largest settlement in the North.

Clarifications from GRRM: Yi Ti is the primary source of wealth on the Jade Sea, and the main reason for visiting it. Getting there is much easier via Qarth rather than going the other way, which is longer. So that clears that up. He also said that the island of Leng is not part of the nation of Yi Ti.

Looking at the map, the thought occurs of what exactly the 'trader's circle' is. From the look of it, Yi Ti, Asshai and the islands are only reasons to visit the Jade Sea. The coasts of both Ulthos and Sothoryos are apparently inhospitable. So what's down on the south coast to warrant doing a full circle of the sea?

Clarifications from GRRM: Yi Ti is the primary source of wealth on the Jade Sea, and the main reason for visiting it. Getting there is much easier via Qarth rather than going the other way, which is longer. So that clears that up. He also said that the island of Leng is not part of the nation of Yi Ti.

Looking at the map, the thought occurs of what exactly the 'trader's circle' is. From the look of it, Yi Ti, Asshai and the islands are only reasons to visit the Jade Sea. The coasts of both Ulthos and Sothoryos are apparently inhospitable. So what's down on the south coast to warrant doing a full circle of the sea?

if it is a sphere, and GRRM has said it is, then it's the Lands of always winter. maybe.

I am considering buying this, but I read some reviews that said that when unfolding and refolding the maps, a white crease appears, and where these creases intersect, holes form. Have any of you experienced this problem? Would you recommend buying it?

I am considering buying this, but I read some reviews that said that when unfolding and refolding the maps, a white crease appears, and where these creases intersect, holes form. Have any of you experienced this problem? Would you recommend buying it?

Yeah, the maps are definitely made to be just decoration. They are printed on typical poster paper, that thick, high glossy stuff.

I like maps but I really bought these on impulse. I wish I had thought about it more and looked at how the maps were made because I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I have no interest in hanging these things on the walls and they aren't the type of things one can use to take notes on or fold away and take out while reading the books and such.

So, if you wish to hang the maps up on your walls as art, then sure, totally recommended. They are very pretty. If you want to actually have useable maps and not art, then not really recommended.

if it is a sphere, and GRRM has said it is, then it's the Lands of always winter. maybe.

Nope. When you go off the top of a map you don't warp around to the bottom (you don't go to the North Pole and then teleport to Antarctica). To get the Lands of Always Winter to match up with Ulthos, it would be the weirdest, most convoluted landmass ever.

Ah. So Uthos is The Shadow. As in Ashai by the Shadow?

Are we talking volcanic smoke?

I don't know if Ulthos is The Shadow, as there is some mountainous area northeast of Asshai called "The Shadowlands". And no, I don't think that smoke is volcanic. The small part of Ulthos we can see seems very flat. But I'm not really sure if that's smoke. It could be a very large forest with dark leaves, I don't know.

Archived