The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

A new continent? :stunned:

And about the world map, how accurate is this map that is based on a picture leaked a few months ago?

http://i36.photobuck...apSpecNamed.png

That map is somewhat accurate, but there are a few notable differences. I've edited in the differences (as well as some of the names) into that map.

http://i.imgur.com/A64sz.png

The preview image of the crossroads area, while not containing actual new places, did clear up a lot of that area....there was a lot crammed in there like Lord Harroway's Town, Saltpans, the Inn, the rivers, the Kingsroad. I'm looking forward to Westeros as much as Essos. Alright maybe not quite as much........but still looking forward to it.

Because of it's weird weather, Westeros is basically far less populated than Europe.

Has anyone tried, with the new map data we have, to calculate how much of Essos / water we don't see? IIRC GRRM said that the planet was a little larger than earth. If we assume the northern reaches of Sothyros and the Summer Isles as approximately the equator, we can guess how much we're missing. The circumference of the earth around the equator is I think about 25,000 miles. If we go by that starting value we can measure by the length of the wall at 300 miles. If it turns out, for example, Oldtown to Asshai is, say 22,000 miles, we know Essos must end soon after what we see, or Westeros would be too close and somebody would have found Eastern Essos from Pyke or something by accident. I might try this when I get home tonight. Or has someone tried already?

Another Argentinian!

Don't books get retained at Ezeiza or Retiro customs? I wanted to order it but all the importation restrictions kinda scare me...

Luckily, books don't get held by customs or pay taxes.

Sometimes you will have to go and retrieve the package in Retiro postal office, but that's it.

I am a little concerned if this Map book will qualify as a book or not in customs, if they decided it is not, there will be taxes to pay.

Has anyone tried, with the new map data we have, to calculate how much of Essos / water we don't see? IIRC GRRM said that the planet was a little larger than earth. If we assume the northern reaches of Sothyros and the Summer Isles as approximately the equator, we can guess how much we're missing. The circumference of the earth around the equator is I think about 25,000 miles. If we go by that starting value we can measure by the length of the wall at 300 miles. If it turns out, for example, Oldtown to Asshai is, say 22,000 miles, we know Essos must end soon after what we see, or Westeros would be too close and somebody would have found Eastern Essos from Pyke or something by accident. I might try this when I get home tonight. Or has someone tried already?

I haven't seen the precise scale, but the distance from Oldtown to Asshai should be a smidge over 6,000 miles (or the distance from London to Bangkok, give or take a hundred miles). A significant portion of the planet's circumference but nowhere near enough to make it quicker to travel to Westeros eastwards from Asshai.

If people from the North are called Northerners, people from the Westerlands are called Westermen, and people from Dorne are called Dornishmen/Dornish.

I think people from the Stormlands are called Stormlanders.

What are people from the Vale called?

Valemen? Valians? Valish?

Or the Reach?

Reachish? Reech (France->French)? Reachian?

Archived