Initial Impressions on Season 2

Westeros

There's a very brief moment in episode 4 between Sansa and Sandor. It's less than in the same scene in the novel, though, which I found surprising. I trust we'll get more later, however.

I am worried about the inter transition of all the storyline. As a book reader its easy to keep track of all the storyline but i don't know how a non book reader will be able to hold on all the storyline. Ran have the show succeeded in doing this, i mean keeping every storyline under control?

Regards

m_k

I'm actually really worried about it. It makes me hate having favorite characters, you know?

I know exactly what you're talking about... But I'm waiting to see it with my own eyes before I really start to worry. (or maybe I'm in denial? hah)

I mean, Jon Snow is my favorite character on the books (followed by Stannis) and I don't like him very much on GoT. I'm trying to see them as two separate characters and two separate stories so I can enjoy the show too.

So, for now, I'm mostly excited about the new season...

I am worried about the inter transition of all the storyline. As a book reader its easy to keep track of all the storyline but i don't know how a non book reader will be able to hold on all the storyline. Ran have the show succeeded in doing this, i mean keeping every storyline under control?

Regards

m_k

Actually, non-book readers have thus far followed all the ins and outs remarkably well. To witness that for yourself, check out the site televisionwithoutpity.com and browse through the 'Completely Unspoiled Speculation' thread from the beginning. Book readers are not welcome to post there, so many of us just drop in and read the posts to see what the 'Unsullied' are discussing after each episode. Often times, its eye-opening to realize the depth and grasp they've got on the complex issues in GoT, and other times, its flat out hilarious when they go off in a totally off-base guess. Its fun and interesting to follow that site, along with ours here, after each episode--great input and perspective from two totally different GoT experiences.

ETA: typo

There's a very brief moment in episode 4 between Sansa and Sandor. It's less than in the same scene in the novel, though, which I found surprising. I trust we'll get more later, however.

i really hope for more scenes later as well, but thanks for the episode 4 info!! :)

Well, I guess Stannis is only being convincingly Stannis if we, the audience, find him as unlikable and uninspiring than the rest of Westeros. Somehow I doubt this will be the case ;-).

Ok I am gonna bring this is up , I think, a fourth time.

HBO for business reasons is not revealing their total take with the show, which adding up the bits and pieces on the web seems to come out at more than a King's Ransom (so to speak).

Greenlight may be for more than two seasons, soon or next week.

After watching E2 for the fourth time, same thing comes to mind:

So D&D keep saying 10 episodes is all they can handle. And indeed from what they have said in interviews it does sound like 365-24-7 work. So they against more help?

I bring this up because just how did Bruno Heller spread the work on ROME?

ROME , season 1, 12 episodes.

Heller seems to have done all the heavy lifting, writing and producing. Was it because there were 5 other executive producers?

John Milius , William J. MacDonald ,Frank Doelger, Anne Thomopoulos, John Melfi. Two of the producers wrote or helped write two the episodes (ol 'loose cannon' John Milius being one).

Maybe it's HBO, but that 1st episode left me thinking , man!, we need more exposition at Dragonstone, because these characters are going to be around for a long time.

Spread the narrative load.

Puzzled.

So D&D keep saying 10 episodes is all they can handle. And indeed from what they have said in interviews it does sound like 365-24-7 work. So they against more help?

I bring this up because just how did Bruno Heller spread the work on ROME?

ROME , season 1, 12 episodes.

Heller seems to have done all the heavy lifting, writing and producing. Was it because there were 5 other executive producers?

Only the first Season of Rome had 12 Episodes. And it had a MUCH longer production schedule than GoT: according to Wikipedia, they started shooting in March 2004 and the first Episode aired almost 1 1/2 years later in August 2005. Sadly, today HBO seems to want a new Season same time every year, so thats out of the question for GoT.

Only the first Season of Rome had 12 Episodes. And it had a MUCH longer production schedule than GoT: according to Wikipedia, they started shooting in March 2004 and the first Episode aired almost 1 1/2 years later in August 2005. Sadly, today HBO seems to want a new Season same time every year, so thats out of the question for GoT.

Well ... as documented around we know the 2nd season of ROME was chopped to 10 episodes by the withdrawal of BBC money.

Heller and his producers were ready to go with 12 episodes, but reworked it to 10. That came the next year after season 1, how did they do that? If anything ROME was a little bit bigger production than GOT.

There is a different management at HBO , maybe the business model is not to schedule 12 episodes on such a large production any more. It could mean a 100 million budget such as ROME had the first season. These is scary these days for visual entertainment.

DEADWOOD was not as expansive as GOT but pretty big, understand the budget was comparable.

David Milch handled that with two other producers. That ran three 12 episode seasons.

Well anyway... looks as if something is about to happen... today Friday the 6th the New York times has a full two page spread for GOT in the entertainment section, did HBO do that last year?

Well ... as documented around we know the 2nd season of ROME was chopped to 10 episodes by the withdrawal of BBC money.

Heller and his producers were ready to go with 12 episodes, but reworked it to 10. That came the next year after season 1, how did they do that?

Do you have a source for that? According to Wikipedia, BBC pulled out AFTER Season 2. Also, Season 2 started 14 months after the last Season 1 Episode, so they had two more months than GoT anyway.

Fact is: we don´t really know how a Series like GoT, BE or Rome gets made or what the particular challenges with each production are.

I guess we just have to take HBOs word for it that, while the Producers of Boardwalk Empire or Deadwood could manage to produce 12 Episodes in 12 months, the people responsible for GoT simply can´t.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact, that they don´t have a writing staff. Maybe prinicpal photography is more time consuming and ambitious than with the other shows. Maybe it´s simply the Budget. My guess would be, that all of the above things factor in at least to some degree. I dunno...

Do you have a source for that? According to Wikipedia, BBC pulled out AFTER Season 2. Also, Season 2 started 14 months after the last Season 1 Episode, so they had two more months than GoT anyway.

May have to pull my horns in on that.

Part of it is what I remember , long ago now, about the cancellation of ROME, may be mis remembering.

Then someone , around her gave the run down that was similar.

It may have been that the BBC told HBO that it would not sign up for a third season. ( By the by did not know RAI was involved in this too.)

That would have been right after season 1.

I am not sure how much the BBC did contribute to season 2 of ROME.

HBO was not willing to take on the financial burden.

As for a long filming season delaying the season releases , yet that's a problem.

If D&D could count on HBO going with more seasons per the story... well... I may not live that long!

But would be ok.

From what I've heard, he lets her know that he knows about her relationship with Jaime, and then he tells her that "knowledge is power". She then gets her guards to arrest him and tells them to slit his throat, but then she stops them and tells him that "power is power".

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTc8Chvw5k

ARGHHHHHHHHH that's so out of character for Littlefinger!

I kind of enjoyed Cersei in that scene myself. Bit odd for LF but I'm liking Cersei a lot more already this season

Yes, I do like how they have changed Cersei. She is more apparently ruthless and less laughable.

Littlefinger however is awful. I thought he was amazing in season one, done perfectly minus the whore scene ("hey whores, I plan on marrying a highborn woman, an unattractive one. One that'd only make sense with what I just said considering I grew up with her and am rumored to have bedded her."). This season started off including the scene you mention and it just killed the LF character for me in the show. He lost all respect (as a "game player") with that scene.

I am sure my frustration with this scene is apparent since I can see my last rant right above :dunce: .

Archived