What is Quaithe?

Lady Hodor

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not quite since, you know, she was reputed to be incredibly beautiful and all but I see what you're getting at. They both have mismatched eyes.

Cool! didn't know that! Does that mean Tyrion is a bastard Targaryen from Joanna?

*edit* Nevermind.... shoulda kept reading. :blushing:

I put this up in the crackpot theories thread, because I'm still getting my head around the complete lore of the series (trying to find places in my brain not already stuffed with random fantasy lore and whatnot). I do honestly believe it though.

Quaithe is a dragon. An actual dragon, possibly the oldest in existence now, assuming human form, following and watching Dany and her dragons. I say her dragons, referring to Quaithe. She is their actual mother ... they came from one of her clutches, possibly the last clutch she ever laid.

She knows the dragons believe Dany is their mother, and sees the connection there. She helps Dany and follows her as a way of watching/helping her children, and because Dany has done her best to be a mother and guide to them.

She's a shadowbinder right? Marwyn is called Marwyn the Mage because he studied with shadowbinders while he was searching for lost books. According to his Book of Lost Books he has three pages of the book Signs and Portents which was written by one of Dany's pre-Doom of Valyria ancestors, Daenys Targaryen. It's a book of Daenys' visions, one of which pretold the Doom of Valyria. It's entirely possible that Quaithe either has the book, has knowledge of the book, or just the same three pages Marwyn. She would have either got it from Marwyn or he got it from her or they both got access to it from someone else. Most of what Quaithe tells Dany is probably from this book.

Cool! didn't know that! Does that mean Tyrion is a bastard Targaryen from Joanna?

*edit* Nevermind.... shoulda kept reading. :blushing:

Well, the fact that Shiera Seastar and Tyrion Lannister both have mismatched eyes has certainly been used as support for the theory that Tyrion is actually the son of Joanna Lannister and King Aerys Targaryen. Although Shiera's eyes were one blue and one green while Tyrion's eyes are one green and one black. This may not mean anything. Also, I'm sure some who subscribe to the theory that Tyrion is actually the son of a Targaryen may see the colors of his eyes as an allusion to the "greens" and "blacks" from "The Princess and the Queen" ;)

I don't subscribe to the theory that Tyrion is the son of Aerys but if GRRM goes that way then I'm fine with that, too. And, for the record, I've always maintained that, if Quaithe turns out to be anyone other than Quaithe, she is Shiera Seastar.

All these people were on their way to Dany at the time Quaithe made the prophesy. Remember it starts with the pale mare is coming, then... (suggesting its people on their way to her)

However some turned away. I guess this list was seen by Quaithe via glass candles, and is not an actual prophesy, hence some dont arrive to Dany/Meereen. Funnily enough, Quaithe starts the paragraph by mentioning glass candles.

Which means she doesnt help her by giving useful prophecies, she mindfucks her.

Which means she doesnt help her by giving useful prophecies, she mindfucks her.

That's a little harsh. A vision of the present may not strictly be a prophecy, but since like a prophecy it's couched in riddles and metaphors it's as useful or useless as the DragonDreams, GreenDreams, and so on presented in the books. It's as close as can be gotten to real-time intelligence from a distance, and any commander worth their salt would at least stop to consider the possibilities and options it presents.

That's a little harsh. A vision of the present may not strictly be a prophecy, but since like a prophecy it's couched in riddles and metaphors it's as useful or useless as the DragonDreams, GreenDreams, and so on presented in the books. It's as close as can be gotten to real-time intelligence from a distance, and any commander worth their salt would at least stop to consider the possibilities and options it presents.

How can she know that they are all unreliable?

obviously book =/= show, but since others have brought it up already...

In the show when Jorah asks who she is, she replies "no one".

SPECULATIONS!!!!!!

Speculation 1: Quaithe is the rare Faceless Woman, and is part of the FM conspiracy to control the world.

Speculation 2: Quaithe is a former FM trainee who really loved that "no one" line and continues to use it despite no longer being in the club.

Speculation 3: The next step in Arya's training will be going to Asshai to learn shadow magic.

I put this up in the crackpot theories thread, because I'm still getting my head around the complete lore of the series (trying to find places in my brain not already stuffed with random fantasy lore and whatnot). I do honestly believe it though.

Quaithe is a dragon. An actual dragon, possibly the oldest in existence now, assuming human form, following and watching Dany and her dragons. I say her dragons, referring to Quaithe. She is their actual mother ... they came from one of her clutches, possibly the last clutch she ever laid.

She knows the dragons believe Dany is their mother, and sees the connection there. She helps Dany and follows her as a way of watching/helping her children, and because Dany has done her best to be a mother and guide to them.

I think the other random fantasy stuff is bleeding through, though thank you kindly for labeling this a crackpot theory or I'd be inclined to do it for you. Cool idea, just not congruent with the dragon lore so far in this series. Closest is that some of the mad Targaryens convince themselves they are dragons. "Shame he wasn't born a Fossoway, then he'd think he was an apple and nobody'd be any the worse."

I think the other random fantasy stuff is bleeding through, though thank you kindly for labeling this a crackpot theory or I'd be inclined to do it for you. Cool idea, just not congruent with the dragon lore so far in this series. Closest is that some of the mad Targaryens convince themselves they are dragons. "Shame he wasn't born a Fossoway, then he'd think he was an apple and nobody'd be any the worse."

Yea, the bleed through is pretty possible.

Also, the lore on dragons here doesn't seem to suggest that they were capable of operating at that level of intelligence.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, and the fact that Shiera Seastar and Tyrion Lannister both have mismatched eyes could be used as further "evidence" that Tyrion is really the son of Mad King Aerys Targaryen (if they were so inclined). But that's getting a bit too far out there even for me ;)

Tyrion is 100% Tywin's son. If there was a plot twist and he wasn't I would feel cheated. However, it would be awesome if Cersei and Jamie were Aery's bastards. Selmy wasn't clear what actually happened during the bedding.

Tyrion is 100% Tywin's son. If there was a plot twist and he wasn't I would feel cheated. However, it would be awesome if Cersei and Jamie were Aery's bastards. Selmy wasn't clear what actually happened during the bedding.

Yep. I never said or even implied that Tyrion wasn't Tywin's son. For the record I believe Jaime, Cercei, and Tyrion are all Tywin's kids. Also, I don't believe Aerys was able to somehow impregnate Joanna Lannister during the bedding ceremony - how the hell would that have worked?!! I think Aerys probably copped a feel or three, though, and ol' Tywin never forgot it ;)

Quaithe is a prophet maybe, I don't think she is Dany from the future, or Bloodraven/Leaf.

She is a different person. I wonder if she'll show up in the series again, as she just showed up in season 2. In the books she appears in Meereen.

I'm thinking that introducing some of the prophecies and reintroducing Quaithe in season 5 could be an interesting direction to head in. They've ready introduced some of Dany's ADWD material and that could be so they have more time to deal with the less badass aspects of her plot (ruling, the prophecies, Quaithe, etc.).

As for Quaithe, she's clearly real. Other characters have interacted with her and even commented about her. It makes sense that she'd be using glass candles to communicate with her. Who is she and what does she want? That's less easy to work out. She seems to be on Dany's side for the time being but obviously that can change.

Yep. I never said or even implied that Tyrion wasn't Tywin's son. For the record I believe Jaime, Cercei, and Tyrion are all Tywin's kids. Also, I don't believe Aerys was able to somehow impregnate Joanna Lannister during the bedding ceremony - how the hell would that have worked?!! I think Aerys probably copped a feel or three, though, and ol' Tywin never forgot it ;)

I have a feeling that this mystery might soon be given ample coverage in the World book. Elio and Linda said something about being surprised how much GRRM was going to be revealing with respect to Aerys and Tywin. I think they were talking about certain theories being confirmed or debunked regarding these two.

I have a feeling that this mystery might soon be given ample coverage in the World book. Elio and Linda said something about being surprised how much GRRM was going to be revealing with respect to Aerys and Tywin. I think they were talking about certain theories being confirmed or debunked regarding these two.

You in the vid at bottom http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/World_of_Ice_and_Fire_Excerpt_The_Rhoynar

With a little bit wishful thinking they practically confirmed it.

Archived