April 2012 Reads

beniowa

This weekend I finished Among Others by Jo Walton as part of my Hugo reading. It's a little light on actual story, but worth it for the literary SFF references.

Now reading Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht.

This weekend I finished Among Others by Jo Walton as part of my Hugo reading. It's a little light on actual story, but worth it for the literary SFF references.

Now reading Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht.

Those were two of my favourite novels from last year. Great choices.

I'm still working on The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham, which I had to restart for a reason that shall remain untold. Very, very good novel, however.

Finished Light. About 400 pages of pure quantum WTF. Despite all that, it's actually well-paced and quite entertaining.

Now reading The Deserter by some Irish guy with a complicated name. ;)

Finished Light. About 400 pages of pure quantum WTF. Despite all that, it's actually well-paced and quite entertaining.

Now reading The Deserter by some Irish guy with a complicated name. ;)

Oscar Wilde?

The Importance of Being Earnest could have done with some cannibalism... ;)

Agreed! Imagine such lines as:

" To eat one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune. To eat both looks like gluttony."

So far, I've read The Hunger Games trilogy, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte, the Warriors Anthology, parts from Dreamsongs Book 2, White Noise by Don DeLillo, and The Children's Hour by Lillian Helman, and a novel by my favorite Finnish crime writer. (I was house-sitting for my parents for two weeks, and we live in the middle of nowhere....). Oh and I re-read The Kite Runner for my thesis.

Right now I'm reading Silas Marner by Geroge Eliot. Next up: Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

And then, I'll get myself some nice fantasy book.

Finished Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes a few days ago.

Amazing, amazing book.

Excellent book.

I agree it's a very good book, very gripping. It really sucks you into the Vietnam war, as far as that is possible so many years later in another time and place. I had expected it to be better though. I don't know why. Perhaps I've read too much praise for it. It was grim and bitter, though, in a realistic way.

I've picked up the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus again, just for fun, and I've also started Guy Gavriel Kay's Sailing to Sarantium. Liking it so far, but I haven't gotten very far just yet.

I haven't been reading much at all lately, but picked up Anno Dracula: The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman yesterday and im starting that today. Takes place 30 years after the first book ( which was awesome ) during WW1. I'm actually really excited about it. Like peterbound said about Caine's Law, anyone that hasn't at least read Anno Dracula should probably just go ahead and buy it today.

Finished the first book of Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars this morning. It was really good. Want to read the second, but the library copy is out for now, so I gotta decide. The first Gaunt's Ghost omnibus is on my shelf, a Pratchett reread is always desirable, and the first omnibus of Monarchies of God is also sitting here in front of me. As always, I will decide before lunch.

Edit: Went with Hawkwood and the Kings.

Edit 2: Something interesting in Crown of Stars. The major battle mentioned in King's Dragon was very interesting to me in one respect. The entire battle seemed to have around two or three thousand people. And there was talk of bringing up levies, holding them, etc. Was a nice change of pace from authors who's battle seem to scale dramatically every time, getting to crazy numbers in the millions, with everyone having large standing armies as a given.

I'm in a bit of a reading funk. I've picked up and put down a number of books in the past few weeks. Work has been particularly insane, so I don't have much brainpower left for serious reading and as a result I've been amusing myself with a string of gawd-awful (see guilty pleasure thread) romances that I've downloaded onto my Nook from the library or other less legal sites. (Who knew there was so much ebook-sharing on the Interwebz?)

Anyway, searching for something a bit more, intellectually challenging, I just checked Eleanor Henderson's Ten Thousand Saints out of the library. I'm only on page 50, but I like it so far.

Finished of the Saxon chronicles, loved them though I notice Cornwall does have an irritating habit of repeating passages that seem nearly identical everytime the might apply(like why Utred uses wasp sting in the shield wall).

Read the fall and the strain by hogan and del toro liked the strain much better then the fall not sure about picking up the final part of the series.

Almost done with 1493 which is brillant much like 1491 though It seemed to be charles c. mann did fall into the evil whitey trope a bit towards the end of the book(when whites break a treaty the natives learn an important lesson when afro-indian community break a treaty no such editorializing is done)

Finished the first book of Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars this morning.  It was really good.  Want to read the second, but the library copy is out for now, so I gotta decide.  The first Gaunt's Ghost omnibus is on my shelf, a Pratchett reread is always desirable, and the first omnibus of Monarchies of God is also sitting here in front of me.  As always, I will decide before lunch.

Edit:  Went with Hawkwood and the Kings.

Edit 2:  Something interesting in Crown of Stars.  The major battle mentioned in King's Dragon was very interesting to me in one respect.  The entire battle seemed to have around two or three thousand people.  And there was talk of bringing up levies, holding them, etc.  Was a nice change of pace from authors who's battle seem to scale dramatically every time, getting to crazy numbers in the millions, with everyone having large standing armies as a given.

Kate Elliot's series has tempted me on several occasions, but I always end up leaving with something else. Really need to start it one of these days.

Finished the first book of Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars this morning.  It was really good.  Want to read the second, but the library copy is out for now, so I gotta decide.  The first Gaunt's Ghost omnibus is on my shelf, a Pratchett reread is always desirable, and the first omnibus of Monarchies of God is also sitting here in front of me.  As always, I will decide before lunch.

Edit:  Went with Hawkwood and the Kings.

Edit 2:  Something interesting in Crown of Stars.  The major battle mentioned in King's Dragon was very interesting to me in one respect.  The entire battle seemed to have around two or three thousand people.  And there was talk of bringing up levies, holding them, etc.  Was a nice change of pace from authors who's battle seem to scale dramatically every time, getting to crazy numbers in the millions, with everyone having large standing armies as a given.

Kate Elliot's series has tempted me on several occasions, but I always end up leaving with something else. Really need to start it one of these days.

I know I'm going to get shot down for this, but I couldn't finish Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I gave it 100 pages and I just couldn't care to pick it up and read any more of it. The humour seemed so juvenile and I didn't like the rambly tone of the prose.

I've started Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey.

Crown of Stars is pretty intimidating with seven books, but her Crossroads series is currently a contained trilogy, and I found it to be excellent.

I know I'm going to get shot down for this, but I couldn't finish Catch-22 by Jospeh Heller. I gave it 100 pages and I just couldn't care to pick it up and read any more of it. The humour seemed so juvenile and I didn't like the rambly tone of the prose.

Then they have to shoot both of us :)

Archived