What if Stannis Wins?

BlueHighwind

I was going over the events of the series so far, and its amazing how well Stannis has done comparitively during the war. In the War of Five Kings, he started out as the supreme underdog, with probably as many men as the Grejoys but in a much worse position. However, he managed to defeat Renly using magic, captured Storm's End, almost conquered King's Landing, before his army was decimated and he again fell to underdog status. He's lost all the land he's ever held, and now he's in a massively difficult Northern campaign with almost no hope of winning. Still remember, Stannis saved Westeros from the Wildling Invasion, he was the only king who ever managed to put his political needs aside for the Good of the Realm.

Stannis, all in all, has been a mediocre player of the Game of Thrones. He has no heir, he isn't very likable, and most of his armies have been obliterated in various ways. Yet somehow of the Five Kings, he's the only one still alive. Everybody assumes that in the end Dany or a Stark or somebody will be in control. But what if its Stannis? House Baratheon lives on? It seems like a funny way for it all to end.

I'd honestly like to see Stannis win this thing.

What fascinates me about Stannis is that he's actually, legally, the rightful heir to the throne. And like you said, he's outlived the other kings in the original five. Could that be Martin's way of slyly imparting that, in a culture where the gods protect an innocent person's champion in a trial, Stannis' cause is just? Maybe.

While I heartily disagree with Stannis burning people, I do agree that he alone of the other would-be kings seems to take the threat of the Others seriously, and takes his responsibility seriously. He considers it a burden, and really, I think any sane person would. I'd rather see him end on top than some of the other possible candidates.

I think Stannis is still a strong contender but its hard to see how he gets the Reach, Dorne, and the West. It seems like he has the possibility to have some sucsess then he will hit a wall at a certian point. It seems like Renlys death and the burnings could hurt his chances if a Great Council is called to determine who is King if the military situation becomes stalemated. To his credit he will not lie about anything.

He fights the Others as a part of political campaign, (because really he can't walk trough KL throwing flowers around him like Margery) while that is still admirable enough, only the NW fights the Others (at least theoretically and Jon even practically) to save the realm with no personal gain.

I wonder what will happen when Tommen and Myrcella die and the most realistic scenario is that all the people will simply turn to Aegon.

Stannis is the Energizer Bunny of Westeros.

This character's storyline has become so engaging for me. The Stannis chapters were my favorite part of ADWD, especially his interactions with Jon and Asha. Unlike many minor characters is fantasy books, his group of knights and advisers felt like real people. I love his conversation with Justin Massey in the TWOW sample chapter where he tells him to crown Shireen and raise her an army of sellswords if he dies. Stannis might be a shitty father, but you've got to admire a guy for whom "fighting to the death" isn't going far enough.

Stannis isn't special: he can't warg, he doesn't have a magical destiny (unless you believe Mel), mysterious parentage, direwolves or dragons, yet he keeps on surviving and reminding the world that BARATHEON, not Targaryen, is the royal family of Westeros.

If I were in Westeros, I would'nt want Stannis as a father, a husband, and probably not even a friend, but I would want him as a king. However, I don't think it will ever happen. Stannis is probably approaching a tragic end, which is actually pretty fitting for him, and win or lose he has had one of the best storylines in the books.

I would love to see Stannis on the Iron Throne at the end of the series. I think that he is the most suitable person to rule Westeros in these difficult times. And as an added bonus, we would have Davos as Hand of the King.

He fights the Others as a part of political campaign, (because really he can't walk trough KL throwing flowers around him like Margery) while that is still admirable enough, only the NW fights the Others (at least theoretically and Jon even practically) to save the realm with no personal gain.

The point is that at this point he sees the Iron Throne as something to be earned. He started out thinking that he "deserved it" just because he was Robert's brother. But thanks to Davos and his own experiences, he shifted perspective a bit. And it's not just by fighting the Others. He's earning the northerners' respect the hard way, by marching out in a blizzard to throw out the Boltons.

As far as the lawful heir goes, that's one of the Targs, if anyone, but who cares about the legality?

The Targs aren't "lawful" anymore. They lost.

It would be very ironic to see Stannis end up as King- I don't think it will happen, but he's who I would like to see winning. He would take the treat of the Others seriously, and he's more meritocratic than any other candidate.

I think Stannis is still a strong contender but its hard to see how he gets the Reach, Dorne, and the West. It seems like he has the possibility to have some sucsess then he will hit a wall at a certian point. It seems like Renlys death and the burnings could hurt his chances if a Great Council is called to determine who is King if the military situation becomes stalemated. To his credit he will not lie about anything.

He can get support in the Reach- just as long as Mace Tyrell isn't in charge. Cersei won't rule the Westerlands for long either. I don't see why Dorne would have as much problem with him as they did with Robert, since he played no role in Elia and her children's deaths.

He can get support in the Reach- just as long as Mace Tyrell isn't in charge. Cersei won't rule the Westerlands for long either. I don't see why Dorne would have as much problem with him as they did with Robert, since he played no role in Elia and her children's deaths.

Stannis just has bad luck, because they would have probably supported him (eventually after Tommens and Myrcella's death) but:

1, Faith gained political and military power

2, Aegon returned (Interesting that Tyrion have a hand in both this and battle at Blackwater)

I wonder what will happen when Tommen and Myrcella die and the most realistic scenario is that all the people will simply turn to Aegon.

Will they? Aegon will be popular in Dorne, and he can win the Reach perhaps by helping them against the Ironborn. He has a chance in the West by supporting Tyrion against Cersei. The battleground between Stannis and Aegon will be the Stormlands, Kings Landing, Dragonstone, and the Riverlands. Aegon might become unpopular if he usurps rightful Lords to reward members of the Golden Company. If Aegon loses Conington this could become more of a problem.

The Targs aren't "lawful" anymore. They lost.

The very idea of a "lawful" right to the throne is that it exists independently of one's ability to stage a rebellion. In practice, might makes right, (also in common sense, since Aegon had no right to anything) but legally, ancestry does. Anyway, by your measure the Lannister bastards are currently the lawful rulers. They won.

Stannis has certainly grown on me, and he has that ridiculous stubbornness and tenacity that all great survivors need.

My only problem with him becoming King (which I don't think he will in all honesty) is that I just don't think he'd be very good. Although it is true he'd still (supposedly) have Melisandre, I am certain he would dismiss the Varys' and Littlefingers from the capital, and drive right into the arms of any opponents.

Anyway, by your measure the Lannister bastards are currently the lawful rulers. They won.

They're ruling under false pretences. Aegon never said that he was anything other than a foreign conqueror, and Robert never said that he was anything other than a Baratheon and an (justified) usurper.

And they haven't won yet, not with Stannis, Euron and Aegon all operating in what they claim to be their territory.

Stannis has been my favorite for a good while, and his storyline has been getting better and better IMO. I would like to see Stannis win the Iron Throne since I enjoy the character so much, but I'm not so sure it will happen.

However, I still think that Stannis has a somewhat big role to play in the story. In ADWD when the iron banker was introduced, I definitely recognized that as being huge for Stannis. I don't think this would be brought into play if Stannis was just going to die fighting the Boltons at Winterfell. And as the OP mentioned, I think there's something to the fact that Stannis is the only one living of the original 5 kings.

While I'm not personally expecting Stannis to win the Iron Throne, I do find it likely that he'll be key in uniting the North under a Stark again (Rickon, assuming Davos returns with him) and/or fighting against the impending threat from North of the Wall. Stannis has been around for much of the story, whether it be life or death that awaits for him, I think we can expect a big conclusion either way.

I can see Stannis, maybe not as king( tho I wouldn't mind that at all) but as Lord of Storms End.

He aimed for the Moon(the Iron Throne)

but

Landed amongst the stars( Lord of Storms End, what he thought he was cheated out of from the very beginning)

Stannis definitely seems competent (at least in battle), dedicated, and honest, but I can't say I'd ever want him for a king. He's way too hard-nosed. He tried to force Jon to give up the old gods before he'd legitimize him, wants to outlaw brothels while shagging a (dead?) priestess, and he burns people alive. As long as Stannis stays up north delivering awesome quotable lines, fighting the others, and keeping the people-burning to a minimum, he's okay with me. But I hope he doesn't end up king.

Archived