What is Dany's long-term plan for Westeros...

Well, at the very least, Stannis, Renly and Robb all had endgames- they were determined to rule a kingdom. Dany isn't even thinking about ruling, and decided that she doesn't actually want to do that- instead, she's decided to teach the general population about what it means to wake a dragon. I think the underpants gnomes is really apt regarding previous declarations that she's the Queen of Westeros, but post DWD, I don't think she even has a "phase 3: profit" in mind. As in, I think her plan and desires go no further than mass incineration at the moment.

Robb had a reasonable long-term plan.

Really? What was his so-called "reasonable long-term plan," aside from "ugha ugha attack"?

Do tell!

Dany plans to take the Iron Throne. That's as much a plan as Robb ever had, and perhaps more given her plan is actually conceivably possible, while Robb's was stupid and doomed from the start.

@Apple

And who has a master plan?

Stannis- Kill everybody who doesn't kneel now. Kill the rest later

Renly- Attack Kingslanding and....

Stark- Attack Attack Attack

You're funny...

Renly:

1 - Get deliciously precious arse out of Dodge (King's landing)

2 - Call bannerman to my aid

3 - Marry Hot babe who is totally cool with my orientation

4 - March on King's Landing

5- Barring getting killed via cheap-one-shot-Deus-Ex-Machina-tricks - PROFIT

Stannis:

Step 1: Land near Storm's End

Step 2: Steal Renly's Bannermen

Step 3: Attack Kings Landing via Blackwater Bay

Step 4: Take the City

Step 5: Barring hiccups in the form of stupidly long chain and an imposter masquerading as dead brother - PROFIT

Stark

Step 1 - Call Bannermen to my aid

Step 2 - win every major battle

Step 3 - March on King's Landing and kill Lannisters

Step 4 - Rule the North, establishing a strong and independant nation

- Addendum: Barring interference from stupid-ass mom and mine own raging hormones - PROFIT

Every one of the kings you mentioned had a strategy, a clearly stated step-by-step process and an end game and a way to preserve that end-game (Stannis with Shireen, Renly with biting the bullet and knocking Marge and Stark with...whomever)

Dany, on the other hand, has nothing. On one hand, she has no way of bearing heirs and on the tactical end, she spent three frakking books trying to purchase one-lousy ship. ONE. LOUSY. SHIP. That's ignoring the fact she hasn't even decided which harbor to land in.

That's not playing it by the ear, that's Uber-procrastination.

Not only do I question you reading Apple Maritini's post, I question you reading ASOIAF...

Really? What was his so-called "reasonable long-term plan," aside from "ugha ugha attack"?

Do tell!

Dany plans to take the Iron Throne. That's as much a plan as Robb ever had, and perhaps more given her plan is actually conceivably possible, while Robb's was stupid and doomed from the start.

Dany doesn't plan to take the Iron Throne, she just thinks it will happen because she's Targaryen and she thinks her name somehow makes her superior to all others. There's no plan there except, "ugha ugha blood and fire ugha ugha mine mine mine!". Robb never planned to take the Iron Throne. He planned to have his sisters and father released from the Lannisters, to expel Lannister forces from the Riverlands and to secure autonomy for the Riverlands and the North.

In any case, the original question is about what Dany planned to do if she took the Iron Throne considering she thinks she's barren and she thinks she's the last surviving Targaryen. Balon had heirs, Renly was married and was expected to conceive an heir, Joffrey had an heir with Tommen, Stannis has indicated his heir will be Shireen, Robb "ugha ugha'd" in bed with Jeyne and also planned by making a will. Dany, on the other hand, has NOTHING, and has thought about NOTHING in regards to this specific type of planning.

Please, do tell us what you think Dany's plan is. Textual evidence would be appreciated.

So your arguing no character has a plan, that's stupid. Dany is a character, she is stupid.

I'm arguing that saying, "You can't pick on Dany for not having a plan, Robb didn't have a plan, Stannis doesn't have a plan, wah wah!" is ridiculous when the characters who didn't or don't have a plan or whose plans were deeply flawed are paying for it. Yeah, Robb also didn't have a long-term plan, or at least, not a long-term plan that actually worked out. He's also dead as a fucking doornail. Is he really the standard by which long-term planning should be judged?

Dany doesn't plan to take the Iron Throne, she just thinks it will happen because she's Targaryen and she thinks her name somehow makes her superior to all others. There's no plan there except, "ugha ugha blood and fire ugha ugha mine mine mine!". Robb never planned to take the Iron Throne. He planned to have his sisters and father released from the Lannisters, to expel Lannister forces from the Riverlands and to secure autonomy for the Riverlands and the North.

Yeah, I'm not sure what people think it was Robb was trying to do. He went south to save Ned and when he couldn't do that, he worked to boot Lannister forces out of the Riverlands. Meaning, he fought to give the Riverlands lords good reason to swear fealty to him. He screwed up majorly by sending Theon away, but as of right before the Red Wedding, he had a decent plan to sweep the ironmen out of Moat Cailin, and if Edmure hadn't engaged Tywin (which, yes, was Robb's fault as a commander), the Lannister forces would've been penned into the Westerlands and would've been unable to join the Tyrells to relieve King's Landing during Stannis' attack. He had several valuable hostages who could've been used for leverage if they weren't killed (the Lannister prisoners) or freed (Jaime). The planning obviously didn't work out, for reasons both in and out of his control. Flawed as his strategy ended up being, I'd still argue that he had one.

You're funny...

Renly:

1 - Get deliciously precious arse out of Dodge (King's landing)

2 - Call bannerman to my aid

3 - Marry Hot babe who is totally cool with my orientation

4 - March on King's Landing

5- Barring getting killed via cheap-one-shot-Deus-Ex-Machina-tricks - PROFIT

Stannis:

Step 1: Land near Storm's End

Step 2: Steal Renly's Bannermen

Step 3: Attack Kings Landing via Blackwater Bay

Step 4: Take the City

Step 5: Barring hiccups in the form of stupidly long chain and an imposter masquerading as dead brother - PROFIT

Stark

Step 1 - Call Bannermen to my aid

Step 2 - win every major battle

Step 3 - March on King's Landing and kill Lannisters

Step 4 - Rule the North, establishing a strong and independant nation

- Addendum: Barring interference from stupid-ass mom and mine own raging hormones - PROFIT

Every one of the kings you mentioned had a strategy, a clearly stated step-by-step process and an end game and a way to preserve that end-game (Stannis with Shireen, Renly with biting the bullet and knocking Marge and Stark with...whomever)

Dany, on the other hand, has nothing. On one hand, she has no way of bearing heirs and on the tactical end, she spent three frakking books trying to purchase one-lousy ship. ONE. LOUSY. SHIP. That's ignoring the fact she hasn't even decided which harbor to land in.

That's not playing it by the ear, that's Uber-procrastination.

Not only do I question you reading Apple Maritini's post, I question you reading ASOIAF...

My Lord, for Renly #5 is his death, not plans after taking the throne (he did want Robb to bend the knee)

Stannis' #5 is defeat, not a plan for after taking the throne. (he didn't even have a backup plan till Davos sent him north.

Stark 3 is not true, Robb did not want to kill an entire family. and #4 is not a plan, it's just ditching Westeros in their time of need.

I'm arguing that saying, "You can't pick on Dany for not having a plan, Robb didn't have a plan, Stannis doesn't have a plan, wah wah!" is ridiculous when the characters who didn't or don't have a plan or whose plans were deeply flawed are paying for it. Yeah, Robb also didn't have a long-term plan, or at least, not a long-term plan that actually worked out. He's also dead as a fucking doornail. Is he really the standard by which long-term planning should be judged?

They are dead, it's true. Do you not like Robb, Stannis or Renly?

In any case, the original question is about what Dany planned to do if she took the Iron Throne considering she thinks she's barren and she thinks she's the last surviving Targaryen. Balon had heirs, Renly was married and was expected to conceive an heir, Joffrey had an heir with Tommen, Stannis has indicated his heir will be Shireen, Robb "ugha ugha'd" in bed with Jeyne and also planned by making a will. Dany, on the other hand, has NOTHING, and has thought about NOTHING in regards to this specific type of planning.

Please, do tell us what you think Dany's plan is. Textual evidence would be appreciated.

She is a Targaryen. The throne is hers by rights. "ugha ugha blood and fire ugha ugha mine mine mine!" Is music to my ears. I have no idea what Dany's plans are for the next generation, nor does she.

I don't think she has a long-term plan with respect to how to bring things to a close, but I submit that neither did Robb, and he rarely catches any flack for it.

No, I don't think she has a plan yet. There's youth and inexperience (and lack of any formal training to boot) talking; it'd be ridiculously unrealistic if she did have one, or even any real sense of how to form one for a land she's never even set foot on.

In short, she doesn't have one, but neither would absolutely anyone else in her shoes.

And that eventually caught up with him, didn't it?

ETA: And Dr. Pepper is right. For all his problems, Robb had the good sense to draw up a will.

Robb had no plans and no desire to sit the Iron Throne, his plan was to secure his sisters, and his father's bones and get them back to Winterfell, he made some bad decisions on the way with Theon and Jeyne so Roose, Tywin and Walder took him out.

They are dead, it's true. Do you not like Robb, Stannis or Renly?

I like Robb and Stannis. What does that have to do with them having flawed long-term plans?

She is a Targaryen. The throne is hers by rights. "ugha ugha blood and fire ugha ugha mine mine mine!" Is music to my ears. I have no idea what Dany's plans are for the next generation, nor does she.

Her family lost the war. The lords swore fealty to the Baratheons. She's welcome to conquer it back if she can. But that doesn't mean she has any right to it anymore.

Dani does not appear to have plan or a clue on entering Westeros. I think the fact that the long winter is coming and mankind is on a perilous step towards extinction is her saving grace. The Others think the dragons are gone and they are going to be surprised.

Dani does not appear to have plan or a clue on entering Westeros. I think the fact that the long winter is coming and mankind is on a perilous step towards extinction is her saving grace. The Others think the dragons are gone and they are going to be surprised.

So after numerous other people have been shedding blood, sweat and tears in Westeros trying to survive, prepare for winter and in some cases prepare for the Others, Dany, after dicking around in Essos, gets to swoop in on a dragon out of nowhere and save the day and get all the credit? Gag me with a spoon. The Others might "think" dragons are gone. Dany doesn't know the Others even exist.

Iraq War metaphor here: she could easily conquer Westeros with her dragons, but she has no idea what to do when she does. It will all go tits up.

I think her conquering Slaver's Bay is a good parallel to the Iraq War. She has the very noble cause of freeing the slaves, but absolutely no plan for what to do when the slaves are free of the shackles of their slavers/dictators.

Dany doesn't plan to take the Iron Throne, she just thinks it will happen because she's Targaryen and she thinks her name somehow makes her superior to all others.

Really? Where are you getting that in the books? Or did you just make it up randomly?

No, clearly she plans to take the throne, so please stop being ridiculous.

Aside from that, though, I'm honestly curious as to what all these self-styled geniuses who post here would have done in her stead. Please, do tell! You're Daenerys. It's A Game of Thrones. Your training and preparation amounts to having been raised by your brother to be sold as chattel. You additionally have the benefit of hindsight, which is far more than Dany or any other character in the entire series ever had.

Go! Good luck!

Really? Where are you getting that in the books? Or did you just make it up randomly?

No, clearly she plans to take the throne, so please stop being ridiculous.

Aside from that, though, I'm honestly curious as to what all these self-styled geniuses who post here would have done in her stead. Please, do tell! You're Daenerys. It's A Game of Thrones. Your training and preparation amounts to having been raised by your brother to be sold as chattel. You additionally have the benefit of hindsight, which is far more than Dany or any other character in the entire series ever had.

Go! Good luck!

Wanting to take the Iron Throne because she thinks it is her right due to her name is not planning for how to take the Iron Throne. I cannot provide evidence that Dany has a plan because no evidence exists of her plan. There is, however, plenty of evidence that she thinks being a Targaryen makes the throne hers by right. That evidence exists every time she says "I'm Danaerys Stormborn, etc etc and fire and blood and I'll take what is mine etc etc." It would take me ten days to pull out every quote from the book where she says or thinks this and I refuse to spend ten days doing this when I know we both read the same books and can recall the same quotes.

Because I can find no evidence that she has a plan on how to take the Iron Throne and to secure it with an heir, I offer you the opportunity to present the evidence you have in order to change our minds. Isn't that what you want, to enlighten us and encourage us to agree with your opinion? The only way to do that is to, you know, provide evidence.

I've never called myself a genius and I don't think anyone in this thread has either. We can discuss and debate all of the characters faults because we have a bird's eye view. We can debate hypotheticals. We can even offer suggestions on how we think things could have been done better. No one, at least in this thread, has said, "If I were so-and-so, with the exact same resources and education as such-and-such character, and with no benefit of hindsight, I'd do XYZ."

I get that you fangirl Dany and you want to defend her. I fangirl quite a few characters. But being a fan of a character shouldn't mean being blind to their faults. Theon is my favorite character yet I wouldn't ignore all that he's done wrong just to protect his honor as my favorite. I wouldn't ignore Robb's mistakes just because I really like him. I also really like Sansa and I wouldn't ignore her faults just because she's my favorite. I love my partner and would defend him against anyone but I definitely wouldn't pretend that his faults don't exist. Dany can be your favorite, you can even think she's the Hero Who's Promised to be Reborn and Mount Stannis, but it's silly to pretend she has no faults. All people and characters have them.

Archived