Where are the great knights?

Batman

The Kingsguard has gone to shit since Aerys, everyone knows that. Jaime Lannister makes particular note of this. When he looks at the Kingsguard after he returns to Kings Landing he says that these were not the brothers he would have chosen. Later he claims that if he had leave to name his own brothers the Kingsguard would be great again.

If that is the case where are all of these great knights? Balon Swann seems like the perfect Kingsguard knight and Jaime would not have chosen him? Where are all of these Knights Jaime would have chosen?

Cersei's influence put the Kettleblacks on there, but why either Barristan or Jaime didn't kill/get rid of Meryn Trant or Boros Blaunt is beyond me.

Because the Kingsguard is for life ? Barristan is the first KG member ever to be relieved from his duty before dying.

I think Jaime's referring more to Loras (who's talented but a hothead), Osmund, Boros and Meryn, not so much Balon. When he speaks to Balon during the meeting, it seems that he has a very high regard for him.

I get the impression that pickings were slim after the Rebellion. Most of the best knights were killed and the survivors were hesitant to join an Order with the Kingslayer. So they had to settle for second-rate knights until the "next generation" came of age, which you can sort of see happening with Loras.

They're in the storybooks.

The Hound wasn't wrong you know.

Just so. A knight's just a sword with a ribbon on it...

It's not really touched upon that much, but Jaime's served with knights and soldiers all of his life. He reflects on as much in ASOS; I'm sure he'd know a few choice men worthy of taking up the Kingsguard mantle. I'm assuming they're just not fabled heroes a la the Knight of Flowers.

Just so. A knight's just a sword with a ribbon on it...

It's not really touched upon that much, but Jaime's served with knights and soldiers all of his life. He reflects on as much in ASOS; I'm sure he'd know a few choice men worthy of taking up the Kingsguard mantle. I'm assuming they're just not fabled heroes a la the Knight of Flowers.

Barristan sums it up nicely in ADWD I think:

Barristan Selmy was not a bookish man, but he had often glanced through the pages of the White Book, where the deeds of his predecessors had been recorded. Most were only men—quicker and stronger than most, more skilled with sword and shield, but still prey to pride, ambition, lust, love, anger, jealousy, greed for gold, hunger for power, and all the other failings that afflicted lesser mortals. The best of them overcame their flaws, did their duty, and died with their swords in their hands. The worst …

The worst were those who played the game of thrones.

Well Jamie has a cheek in some ways.

He dislikes Loras when Loras is nearly a younger version of Jamie (in fighting talent)

Jaime says as much himself, and I don't think he dislikes Loras per se. He does try to make an effort to make the boy feel better about his Rainbow Guard rampage, and doesn't press the point when Loras asks him not to make him betray Renly's memory.

The problem is numbers, 5 out of the top 7 are dead after Roberts rebellion along with a lot of good fighting men, not only that but most sons that stood to inherit their fathers lands and titles would not want to be a KG Jaime being one of the few exceptions, so with the death toll so high a lot of the candidates are dead and a lot of second and third sons are now next in line.

15 years later just as the next generation are ready to take their fathers place the 7 kingdoms are again at war, so the same problems are still present with the added problem of sections of the realm still rebelling against the throne.

Jaime no doubt could have selected better candidates as Cersei selected members from KL and not the entire realm.as the appointments where rushed and politically motivated.

Jaime does not dislike Loras Tyrell; in fact, he recommends to Cersei that Tommen squire for him. He sees his younger self in Loras and starts to mentor him. I think Jaime likes Ser Balon Swann, but the rest are men Cersei had chosen for him, and their personalities and actions show they are not the men he would have chosen.

Possible choices to me, assuming you could get the proper allegiances straight: Barristan Selmy, Brynden Tully, Jorah Mormont (maybe because I still worry about his spying; also he would need a pardon for his previous crimes), Areo Hotah, and Sandor Clegane (assuming he leaves Quiet Isle and doesn't end up with Sansa).

Addam Marbrand would make the list, except he is the heir to Ashemarke, so his being KG would not make sense. Also, Davos Seaworth would be a possibility, but he is married with children.

I should have originally listed Brienne as well.

It is actually implied that Kettleblack is at very least equal to the Hound with a sword. The problem with them is that they are so far from honorable that even Jaime doesn't want them in the KG. Which is ironic since Jaime is probably the worst KG member that there ever was.

The Rebellion really did thin the herd of great knights in Westeros. Both sides lost many great men, who were either becoming great knights already, or were too young to be knights at that point. Think of all the young squires and paiges' that must have died...all great knights start out as squires and paiges. A whole generation of knighthood was lost, and the war of the 5 kings did not help matters in that regard. Many Lords only have one son left, and are want to let their lines end with them.

As far as the KG goes, I think it's more symptomatic of who is picking the KG rather than the availability of knights. Come on, Blount and Trant? The effing Kettlebacks? Give me a break. Swann and Loras are the only two who skill-wise belong, Jaime is damaged goods with his missing hand, but is still reliable and will only get better one handed as time goes on. He wasn't that far off the mark when he said Ser Arthur could take them all out with one hand while taking a piss with the other. It's a shame the KG is a shadow of its former self, maybe future iterations of it will be more worthy.

Barristan the Bold, best Kingsguard member that ever did serve. It is known.

I am so, so, so waiting for Ser Barristan to move from a minor tertiary rôle in the HBO series to an important secondary one when he pops up again with Dany. Alas, I fear we shan’t see that until the start of the third season, though, not at the end of the second one.

Ser Barristan Selmy was knighted by no one less than Egg himself, you know. Maybe we’ll even see this happen in a future Dunkin’Egg novella.

there are quite a few knights who are suited for the white cloak, Garlan Tyrell comes to mind, but not many of them are willing to 1) give up lands they are due to inherit or 2) take a vow of celibacy. Essentially two of the major issues the NW encounters in recruitment.

I think Barristan makes it clear that celibacy isn't an issue, he remarks on Prince Lewyn having a paramour I think. The lands are the bigger issue. I think if Jaime could have the people he wanted for knights (you have to remember a lot of those knights died in Roberts Rebellion.) then he'd take:

Barristan Selmy

Brynden Tully

Loras Tyrell (Loras is perfect as a 3rd son as well)

Balon Swann

Brienne?

And I'm not sure of the last space, possibly Sandor before he went AWOL.

Archived