Would Darkstar be more compelling with a less-ridiculous name?

When Darkstar first appeared I must admit I got abit excited, he is the cousin of Ser Arthur Dayne so I thought they may share some family traits. That just wasnt to be, Doran does describe him as the most dangerous man in Dorne but that doesnt mean the most dangerous in battle. I think he meant that Darkstar was unpredictably dangerous, what he done to Mycrella was completely unexpected and could have started a shit load of trouble. Before he done that I took a shine to him but now Im not so sure, lets see what he does when he turns up.

:agree:

I too was exited when he was introduced, but that took to an abrupt ending when he maimed Myrcella. I was so dissapointed. Was that all he was supposed to do? Meh. Such an anticlimax not to mention awful. I wished he would have had more time to develop and we got to see a more full character because the little we saw was cartoonish and with nothing more added to flesh him out, he stays cartoonish to me.

First thought his nick was sort of funny, like Lord too Fat to sit a Horse, and that he just wore it like a badge in the spirit of taking the name others give you and making it your own, like Jon Snow the Bastard, or Tyrion the Imp.

I hoped that we would get to know the substance behind the name Darkstar eventually. We still might, but his action in the Dorne debacle took my exitement away as said. I don't really care what happens to him but I would like to finally get some backstory added to his character, since I'm not fond of characters getting thrown in and then being ripped out of the story for no particular reason, especially when their laste name is DAYNE for gods sake! We need more Dayne in the story, period. Edric will do, as long as he keeps feeding us info on the rest of the family.

Another Darkstar thread? Am I the only one who thinks him completely irrelevant? :rolleyes:

I honestly barely noticed him,and that was on my second readthrough when I knew to look for him. It was basically like waiting for a car to pass you on the road so you could look at it only to turn left for a few seconds and find it's whizzed by you.

I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday. I had the impression that he was cool because he has a cool sounding name. I didn't even recall that he had given himself the name! what a loser. :rofl: After a bit more thought, I came to realize the only other thing I could even think of about him was that he tried and failed to kill a little girl. Not much of a badass if you can't defeat an unarmed little girl, not even named Arya.

I feel as though there has to be more behind his actions than just going berserk for no reason. I think once Balon Swann and Obara find him there will be some sort of elaboration on his part as to why he did it. I'd imagine there would be a reckoning...an epic battle of some sort. Or Darkstar will be able to finagle his way out of a confrontation. Very interested to find out what happens.

I don't actually hate Darkstar; he's not important enough to hate (thus far, anyways). I just find him too goofy to take seriously, especially given how he's described with such gravity. I just wonder if he might not seem like such an archetype if he didn't have such a cheesy nickname. It's exactly the kind of thing Leifeld would have thought of.

I thought the reason he attacked Myrcella was to provoke a war with the Lannisters. Of course, we have no idea what he planned after that, if he planned anything at all.

It's because he is deliberately staged as a mysterious, cool, dangerous looking semi-villain with a hard edge. Click through to the Rob Leifeld link I posted earlier - scan down the list and see how many things you can check off with regard to Darkstar. Instead of building up those characteristics organically, as was the case with the Hound, we were expected to just swallow all of that up whole. He's a clumsy archetype, and beneath what we've come to expect from the series.

See, I viewed him as someone who's trying to give himself the stereotypical bad guy edge rather than GRRM giving us sub-par performance.

Because only a poseur will give himself the name, "Darkstar" Blech.

Seriously, him trying to kill Myrcella and totally botching the attempt and running away was pretty stupid.

I think it is supposed to be some sort of family based title, in the style of 'Sword of the Morning'

So I don't think he actually picked the title for himself, and I'm fairly certain Martin will get into it more, perhaps via Ned Dayne.

As far as the question goes - I'm rather neutral.

I think the name and night line are a little amusing, mostly in the way that Viserys's 'waking the dragon' lines were amusing.

But like Viserys - I think it is there for a reason.

Archived