Why I don't think Jon and Dany will end up in love

Ygrain

Every time I read speculations about Dany's and Jon's hypothetical torrid love affair, I cannot help but think of Mellius and Gretelina.

The world's greatest lovers were undoubtedly Mellius and Gretelina, whose pure, passionate and soul-searing affair would have scorched the pages of History if they had not, because of some unexplained quirk of fate, been born two hundred years apart on different continents. However, the gods took pity on them and turned him into an ironing board* and her into a small brass bollard.

* When you're a god, you don't have to have reasons.

Yup, sounds pretty much like Jon and Dany and their burning love.

But Jon isn't all "ice." If Jon + Dany would mean fulfillment of the foreshadowing of the "Ice and Fire" song, wouldn't that put Jon on the side of Ice? So far as I can tell, he's trying to quell the threat of winter/ ice, etc. He is fire and ice on his own, and I think it makes more sense that he battles the extremes of both fire and ice than marrying one side, rendering him Ice + Fire + Fire.

I believe Rhaegar and Lyanna are the son of ice and fire, Jon is the by product. Rhaegar may have misinterpreted that section because when she saw that vision it was when Aegon was born so I don't believe he met Lyanna yet.

This Jon is more of a wolf than any of the other Starks besides Arya. Even savage that time he attacked Ser Alliser

"My lord is wise." Ser Alliser seized Jon by the arm.

Jon yanked away and grabbed the knight by the throat with such ferocity that he lifted him off the floor.

He would have throttled him if the Eastwatch men had not pulled him off. Thorne staggered back,

rubbing the marks Jon's fingers had left on his neck. "You see for yourselves, brothers. The boy is a

wildling." Pg. 625 aSoS

Seems rough enough to me.

I think many people try to say that he's exactly like Ned but I really don't think so. I think there's a bit of nurture there so he's trying to uphold and value what Ned taught him but I think his personality and temperament are a mixture of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

As for Lyanna she had the wolf's blood but I think she was similar to a Targaryen figure. I think she was a lot like Daena the Defiant and GRRM said that Daena was Targaryen to the bone.

Daena was Targaryen to the bone; strong, beautiful, willful. Her silver-gold hair was thick and curly, a wild untamed mane that tumbled down across her shoulders and framed a heart-shaped face, a pair of sparkling purple eyes, and a fearless "I'll dare anything" smile. She was a wild almost from birth, lithe and athletic, a runner, a climber, and an expert horsewoman. "I was born to ride a dragon," she liked to say, but the dragons were dead. Daena was expert at riding at the rings, though she was never allowed to joust in an actual tourney. She was also a hunter, and a fine archer with her short recurved bow. She worshipped her father and idolized her brother Daeron, the Young Dragon.

Daena's dress was often as dramatic as she was. As a child she often dressed all in black, like her father King Aegon III.

http://www.westeros....s_in_the_Tower/

I think a lot of Jon's mother comes out in his personality. I also think that's why he gets along so well with Arya. They are similar so it's not a surprise when they finish each other's sentences. There are obvious differences like he's melancholic but I think he got that from Rhaegar.

The OP said it--it is too fairy tale to make it into GRRM's story. Plus, I am truly starting to wonder if Dany will ever make it into Westeros. It would be very GRRM-esque to have her instead end up in Braavos in the house with the red door, since that is the only true home she has ever had.

I don't think Jon and Dany will happen, either. Reasons:

1) After all the stuff Jon went through in ASOS, I'd be annoyed if he left the Night's Watch. We see him choose his vows over love (Ygritte), over political power/control (when Stannis offers him Winterfell) and over his family (in book 1, when he wants to leave and help Robb). Why have him go through all that just to give up his black cloak in the end? I guess I could see GRRM showing that like...the throne (and/or Dany) is the ONLY thing he'll leave for, but...I dunno, I find that really really annoying, and I hope it doesn't happen.

2) Dany won't bear a living child. Not unless she does some more crazy magic, or something. The Jon + Dany theories seem to point to them both being Targs and ruling Westeros together...but how are they going to secure the throne without heirs? Westeros would just be back to square one after they died. (This is also why I don't think Dany will end up on the iron throne, but that's another post.)

3) If R + L = J is true...ENOUGH incest already! GRRM seems to be clearly trying to show us it's bad (Jamie + Cersei = monstrous Joffrey, Targaryen blood makes you CRAZY, etc.), why would he then put Jon and Dany together and have them live happily ever after? "Never mind guys, it's super cool to marry your nephew if he's hotttt, teehee." :ack:

The OP said it--it is too fairy tale to make it into GRRM's story. Plus, I am truly starting to wonder if Dany will ever make it into Westeros. It would be very GRRM-esque to have her instead end up in Braavos in the house with the red door, since that is the only true home she has ever had.

That would be somehow very beautiful.

I don't think they'll end up together. Jon just isn't rapey enough for Dany. :cheers:

He's not rapey enough for wildlings, yet he seems to have no problem attracting those, lol.

That would be somehow very beautiful.

Too beautiful, sadly. I picture it that if she ever does make it to Westeros or even the Iron Throne, once all is said and done she'll realize that this place never was a home at all and she'll think of the red door. Very sad and all that.

3) If R + L = J is true...ENOUGH incest already! GRRM seems to be clearly trying to show us it's bad (Jamie + Cersei = monstrous Joffrey, Targaryen blood makes you CRAZY, etc.), why would he then put Jon and Dany together and have them live happily ever after? "Never mind guys, it's super cool to marry your nephew if he's hotttt, teehee." :ack:

Oh, I disagree. Bear in mind that the relationships you mentioned are brother-sister pairings, not cousins or aunts or whatever. One of the happiest marriages in the history of ASoIaF is Joanna and Tywin, and they were cousins (granted, he's not one of the good guys, but still). I had some other stuff written out about my opinion on the brother-sister situation, but I'll leave it for now.

*rereads post* Wow, that made me sound like a really big Dany/Jon shipper. Oops.

As far as the two having an interest in each other when Dany shows up with a giant dragon and Jon shows up with a giant wolf I think that will make them cling to each other as their both misunderstood. But I think if the ending will be bittersweet it could mean them both in Kings Landing despising each other but together to protect the Realm "BitterSweet"

As far as the two having an interest in each other when Dany shows up with a giant dragon and Jon shows up with a giant wolf I think that will make them cling to each other as their both misunderstood. But I think if the ending will be bittersweet it could mean them both in Kings Landing despising each other but together to protect the Realm "BitterSweet"

Or loving each other but not being able to be together. Jon on the Wall, Dany in King's Landing married to someone for political reasons.

I definitely think Dany will fall in love with Jon (my pet theory is her naval fleet lands north of the wall). In the House of Undying, the smell of blue roses smelled the air with sweetness. I think this is a reasonable step towards assuming her feelings towards him will be ... well... rosy. Also, there's really no pattern in the men she loves... Apart from that she thinks they are either powerful or hot or both. I think Jon definitely qualifies.

However, I do think Jon will not return the feelings, or at least not unequivocally. Its not easy to fall in love with a blood relative you haven't been raised Targ (or Lannister)

I also think that this will set up the last and (fatal) betrayal for Dany - betrayal for love. Jon has been set up with a history of "killing" the women he loves. Go easy on me here, I'm a mom myself - but Lyanna presumably died in childbirth. In aSoIaF, children who's mothers die in childbirth are often blamed for killing their mothers. (again, completely not something I believe, but it is so in the books). Jon also is similarly culpable for Ygrittes death. I think this is setting him up for a trifecta with Dany's death being on his hands.

• 4 months later...

As I recall from earlier books, Dany's perfect man was in her described somewhat like Jon, more her age, less of an animal. Sure, she changed a looot since then and so did Jon. I never liked her with Daario, I still think he will be one of the betrayal...probably for gold, 'cause I still think Jorah's betrayal was for love to his home. With the attack on Jon he will definitely get more unbalanced, not at all like Daario or Drogo, but he'll get more deadly and vicious to do what's neccessary..yes, I hope he'll chop Bowens head off!! :D This will make him the man Dany would prefer right now by being similar to Drogo and Daario, and yet so not like them. But since GRRM wants bittersweet ending i guess both of them will die. Probably they'll be beheaded for treason like Ned or something like that. The theory that Jon stays on the Wall and Dany goes to KL is even more bittersweet imo, so yeah, something like that is gonna happen somewhere in the future. I wouldn't be afraid they won't be attracted to each other or won't meet at all.

I just hope GRRM won't turn out to be just trolling us with all the prophecies and house of undying etc when in the end it won't mean absolutely nothing, that would be properly riddiculous :D.

(btw i'm Dolorous Edd&Cersei shipper, i think these two could really hit it off :D)

While I understand where OP's doubts come from, I think Dany will grow up, review her priorities (taste of men included) after what happened to her in the end of ADWD, and see our dearly beloved JS as a truly good just honourable man, even tho he isn't the hottest man around.

LOL to people calling it a cliche. There are so many characters in the books that it's stupid to think there are only 2 main ones. You all act as if GRRM is going to kill off everyone but Jon and Dany so they'd have to fall in love. That's so retarded that it is retarded. So what if they fall in love? Who said Jon was the hero anyway? Certainly not GRRM. And Dany is not the heroine or whatever the heck you people are thinking. They are just 2 characters in a massive world of many characters. They can do what they want. Cliche my eye.

I don't see it happening also. Butterbumps and Apple Martini made great case about the foreshadowing of their union in the books.

Leaving aside the incest and the fact that I don't picture either of them being attracted to the other, they are continents apart with no sign of them meeting any time soon. With only 2 books to go and so many story lines hanging in the air a love story between the 2 doesn't seem very plausible at this point.

I just really hope they don't, for many of the reasons stated above, but not the incest ones. I'm still battling with the idea that Jon might be a Targaryen. I know there's too much pointing to that, but I'll be delighted if GRRM finds a way to spin it and have Jon just be a Stark, son of Ned and Wylla or Ashara, I don't care. It would be really cool if he gets to be some sort of hero (I think he already is, in a way) despite his bastard status. But my main motivation is that I just don't like Targaryens at all, too much craziness and hubris there. I'm rooting for ice and fire to refer to the north battling the south with the north being led by Starks and the south by a Targaryen (that only leaves Dany, as I really do believe Aegon is a fake... the mummer's dragon). Also, I agree that resuscitation has to be unclean. unBeric wasn't an abomination, but he was less human than before. In any case, I still think Jon may not die, so no need for resuscitation. But in case he does and is resurrected, I don't see him becoming necessarily more badass and more attractive... there is nothing hot about being less human, in my opinion. If he comes back from the dead, whether he makes a pitstop within Ghost or not, I see him coming back as more calculating, perhaps thus even more effective to lead people against the Others. Oops, I just realized: the battle against the Others, it seems, will end up being more important than north vs south, so yeah... maybe hopes that song of ice and fire actually means song of ice versus fire are crushed. :)

edited for typo. hope I managed to make sense. I have a fever :/

Because Jon Snow is a deathly bore with the charm of a turnip. No reason for any woman to fall in love with him. least of all Dany, who has so many suitors.

Yes, because a guy with blue pubic hair is somehow more exciting and less of a strain of credulity than Jon.

Archived