The Anti-Monarchy Thread

MinDonner

I imagine the government would still own the Crown Estate, so they still get that money.

By what right?

that would be exactly like them saying ok your house is now ours and we are going to charge you rent on it or sell it without your aproval and throw you into the street.

By what right?

that would be exactly like them saying ok your house is now ours and we are going to charge you rent on it or sell it without your aproval and throw you into the street.

You have to differentiate between property of the British Crown (the palaces, the paintings, etc) with Liz's own personal property (the corgis, her toothbrush, etc). The former is property of the state, and would remain so under any new republic. She'd presumably get to keep the latter, unless they get all Bolshevik on her.

You have to differentiate between property of the British Crown (the palaces, the paintings, etc) with Liz's own personal property (the corgis, her toothbrush, etc). The former is property of the state, and would remain so under any new republic. She'd presumably get to keep the latter, unless they get all Bolshevik on her.

I see so all the estates of earls etc are actually property of the state?

Even though they have been paying tax's to the gov since day dot?

It sounds to me a lot like people wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

Hmm, yes that would actually be another small difficulty for England and Wales because land held as Freehold is held in Fee Simple from the Crown, so in the event of getting rid of the monarchy we'd have to legally change the basis of land ownership. If we were to do that it would probablyhelp if we carried out a complete cadastral survey, last time we tried to do that was 1086 and that one was incomplete.

Frankly why elect a figurehead. If we had an elected head of state then we would probably need to give them some power, otherwise were just paying for somebody to wave.

Then we just get an instantly forgetable politician, we lose a little a bit what makes us different.

Also we tried a Republice and that fecker banned Christmass.

I see so all the estates of earls etc are actually property of the state?

Even though they have been paying tax's to the gov since day dot?

It sounds to me a lot like people wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

Earls, like everyone else, hold their land from the Crown (Australia has this system too, incidentally: no-one buys land as such, instead you buy rights to the land. The sole landowner is the Crown). What I meant was distinguishing between the likes of say Buckingham Palace, which is Crown owned (and, unusually, Crown controlled), with Liz's corgis, which are her property as Elizabeth Windsor, rather than property of the British state.

Roose then the large tracts of London owned by the royal family as part of thier personal property and essentially handed over to the state in return for the money given in the honours list would revert back to the windsor family and the state would thus lose a massive amount of revenue.

The cost of getting rid of the monarchy is just too high.

Roose then the large tracts of London owned by the royal family as part of thier personal property and essentially handed over to the state in return for the money given in the honours list would revert back to the windsor family and the state would thus lose a massive amount of revenue.

The cost of getting rid of the monarchy is just too high.

From the above link:

There is a misunderstanding about the Crown Estates. Often monarchists claim the royal family selflessly 'surrendered' this property in return for the Civil List (money paid to the Queen each year by the government). But the Crown Estate property is not the personal property of the Queen and would not become her personal property in a republic.

The Crown Estates have always been there to provide an income for the government so it can run the Civil Service, judiciary and so on. A long time ago the monarchy was the government. It was the institution of the monarchy that surrendered the property, not the family that happened to occupy the palace at the time - it was simply a reflection of the fact that the business of government had moved from the palace to parliament.

If you think that the royals have a claim to the Crown Estate land if we were to abolish the monarchy and scrap the civil list, remember that part of the deal was that parliament assumed responsibility for paying for the Civil Service, judiciary and other costs of the state. If the royals were to reverse the deal they would find themselves out of pocket to the tune of hundreds of billions of pounds.

As for the community thing, my friends are hosting a Rebel Republican barbecue instead of all that forelock-tugging nonsense, and quite right too. I kind of hope they have rebel flag bunting up too, but given the chances of rain, that might be a waste of effort...

What rebellious flag would they use for rebel bunting? The stars and stripes?

RBL is a mad genius and/or a parasite has messed up his log-in or possibly my brain.

Why be narrowed minded about it? It could so easily be all three.

I knew it had to be some kind of brain parasite weirdness to get Bones posting in these political dork threads.

This is a dork thread thread? Pah! And I thought it was a joke thread...

This is a dork thread thread? Pah! And I thought it was a joke thread...

Are you seriously going to attempt to defend the non-dorkishness of a thread currently exploring the fascinating distinction between royal property, domains and Crown Estates?

Roose the rents from london only are what I am talking about not that of "Crown" land. London was part of the personal estates, not all of it but large parts of it and those rents now go to the state.

Personally I am not really fussed either way and would prefer a complete revamping of Australias method of government, which may or may not include a monarch but would certainly smash the pathetic parties we currently have.

Archived