[Spoilers] The Three Dragon Heads?

I think there's a lot of confusion about "The Dragon has 3 heads".

I'd like to point out that "The Dragon" implies one (1) Targaryen.... which is probably Daenerys, because she's the one with 3 dragons.... hence, "3 heads". As I mentioned in another post:

I think the Dragon is Daenerys and her 3 dragons are the heads. It may seem to obvious, which would cause many to think it not true.... BUT I can totally see GRRM doing that on purpose. He's very sly that way. Sometimes the best way to hide something is in plain site.

Seriously... take a look at the Targaryen House sigil: A single Dragon with 3 dragon heads.... the sigil is NOT a Dragon with one wolf head, one stag head, and one lion head. Duh. The Dragon already has 3 heads... Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal... DONE.

BUT, other characters could certainly be riders :-) And there's certainly lots of possible dragonriders. I highly recommend reading GRRM's novella "The Princess and the Queen" (found in Dangerous Women), as it provides a lot of insight into the lore of dragonriders.

As for Rhaegars prophecy about the PtwP, and then Danys subsequent vision in the House of the Undying, where he says there must be one more... I think he was referring to his son (either Aegon or Jon) would be one of the dragonriders... and "there must be one more" meaning one more dragonrider - NOT one more head.

As for Rhaegars prophecy about the PtwP, and then Danys subsequent vision in the House of the Undying, where he says there must be one more... I think he was referring to his son (either Aegon or Jon) would be one of the dragonriders... and "there must be one more" meaning one more dragonrider - NOT one more head.

That works except for his saying "the dragon has three heads" right after saying "there must be one more."

I think that the dragon has three heads and who the dragon riders are will be are two seperate matters. :-)

Regardless of if Jon or Dany is "the dragon has three heads" part, I think we'll have at least one change of dragon riders before the story is done.

I, personally, think the first riders will be tied to Dany and her invasion of Westeros.

First, the given-Dany and Drogon.

Second-Arya and Rhaegal. I know a lot say Arya's not possible because Dany believes the others will be male. Well, I think there are plenty of examples of a character believing something and it turns out to not be true. The second arguement against Arya being a rider is her being a child of the Usurper's dog. I think one of Dany's own dragons taking Arya on would give Arya some cred with Dany (even if she's not happy about it). Dragons are also associated with death, ("Death comes out of a dragon's mouth"- ADWD, Tyrion XII), which has been a huge part of Arya's arc. There's have been so many hints of Dany and Arya crossing paths, at the very least, that I think something like this is entirely plausible.

Third-Victarion (via dragonhorn) and Viserion.

When they reach Westeros, however, I do think Victarion will be killed and either Jaime or Jon will take over Viserion. The only reason I'm hesitant about saying Jon for sure is it just seems too much to have him be the rightful heir to the 7K, AND have a direwolf, AND be AAR, AND be a dragon rider, but that's just me. Plus, Jaime has a nice visual symbolism with Viserion, imo.

I do think Rhaegal will be killed at the Trident, the same place where his namesake was killed. I just have a hunch that not all the dragons are going to survive.

I think that the dragon has three heads and who the dragon riders are will be are two seperate matters. :-)

:agree: Especially since a dragon can have more than one rider in its lifetime. I'd kind of like to see somebody (like Victarion maybe) fall off his dragon while flying through the air.

BUT I can totally see GRRM doing that on purpose. He's very sly that way. Sometimes the best way to hide something is in plain site.

Why couldn't Bran be a rider, then? Not a conventional rider, a warg, but throughout the book he's been constantly referred to as The Winged Wolf. I wonder if this isn't GRRM basically saying "This cunt's gonna fly. I don't know how, I don't know when, but I'm gonna make this little motherfucker fly."

The Dragon has three heads. I think Martins emphasis on heraldry and color schemes is very relevant here and I've come to the conclusion that they are the destiny factors for who the riders will be.

I think there will be two sets of riders. One set for conquering Kings Landing and another set for defeating the others and white walkers after the wall has fallen. Remember the color schemes on the dragons are (body-crest) Black-Red, Green-Black and White-Cream.

Round 1

Dany on Drogon, her Targaryen colors are Black and Red

Jorah Mormont on Rhaegal, his Mormont colors are Green and Black

Barristan Selmy on Visarion, his Kings Guard colors are White and White

Round 2

Dany same reason

Tyrion Lannister on Rhaegal, being dis-inherited as a kinslayer his colors are his green and black eyes

Jon Snow on Visarion, after being legitimzed initially as a Stark, his banner will be like the stark banner only with the grey wolf replaced by a white one (ghost), giving him a white on white heraldic scheme.

Round 1

Barristan Selmy on Viserion, his Kings Guard colors are White and White

I was reading The Hedge Knight and came to where Dunk runs into two members of the Kingsguard, and it mentions that the scales of their armor are "white chased in gold." Immediately made me think of Barristan on Viserion with his cream and gold scales. Then Jon Snow can ride Viserion after Barristan dies (love the guy but I don't think he'll make it to the end).

Aside from what appear to be our 4 main contenders for Dragon Riding, Dany (duh) Aegon (quite possibly the mummers dragon) Tyrion (Actually a Targaryen by birth?) and Jon (R+L = J) I just want to quickly take a look at some of the more out their possibilities for riding the dragons.

Some have noted Bran as a possible rider, and he was promised that he would fly so it's a definite possibility to consider.

Another possibility is any one of King Roberts surviving bastards, they do have a small iota of Targaryen blood in their veins so we may see Edric Storm coming back into play, or even Gendry perhaps, we wouldn't be able to rule out Stannis or Shireen either...

The Dragon has three heads. I think Martins emphasis on heraldry and color schemes is very relevant here and I've come to the conclusion that they are the destiny factors for who the riders will be.

I think there will be two sets of riders. One set for conquering Kings Landing and another set for defeating the others and white walkers after the wall has fallen. Remember the color schemes on the dragons are (body-crest) Black-Red, Green-Black and White-Cream.

Round 1

Round 2

Dany same reason

Tyrion Lannister on Rhaegal, being dis-inherited as a kinslayer his colors are his green and black eyes

Jon Snow on Visarion, after being legitimzed initially as a Stark, his banner will be like the stark banner only with the grey wolf replaced by a white one (ghost), giving him a white on white heraldic scheme.

Except Rhaegal's colours are Green and Bronze (not Black), and Viserion's Cream and Gold.

Aside from what appear to be our 4 main contenders for Dragon Riding, Dany (duh) Aegon (quite possibly the mummers dragon) Tyrion (Actually a Targaryen by birth?) and Jon (R+L = J) I just want to quickly take a look at some of the more out their possibilities for riding the dragons.

Some have noted Bran as a possible rider, and he was promised that he would fly so it's a definite possibility to consider.

Another possibility is any one of King Roberts surviving bastards, they do have a small iota of Targaryen blood in their veins so we may see Edric Storm coming back into play, or even Gendry perhaps, we wouldn't be able to rule out Stannis or Shireen either...

I'd love to see Shireen on a dragon. Take that, Val!

Are we sure that there were only three dragon eggs out there that could be hatched? After all we know that the Greyjoys had one egg that they threw away into the see what about possible dragon eggs near or located in the wall? Or we could find out that there may also be a dragon or two that could of been trapped or may of been frozen in the wall near castle Black.

If Dany knew that Jon was her cousin and that Rhaegar and her mad father were hugely responsible for the rebellion then I think she would definitely sympathise with Jon. There's also the matter of her vision of the Red Wedding. I believe that this was to build up some sympathy for the Starks. Why else would it be there? Just for the reader? I doubt it. Everything she saw seemed to directly relate to her and her family so there must be some reason linked to her for seeing this. Ser Barristan has been very cautious about telling her the whole truth about her father and how much of an unhinged man he was. He has held back and I think at some point he will spill the beans or someone else will (Tyrion) and then he'll reluctantly back it up. After hearing about how her father burnt Rickard Stark alive while Brandan was forced to watch while strapped to a device that strangled him I'm sure she'll come around to the Starks.

Aegon is undoubtedly the mummers dragon, there is no doubt in my mind that he is not a legitimate Targaryen. Even if just for the fact that it is incredibly cheap for GRRM to introduce him so late with a tale of swapped babies. Of he is a fake then Dany will not like it for obvious reasons and also because he will be challenging her for the throne with a better claim. Aegon is the stuff legends are made of, he is far too perfect so I think he will have to have some major fault i.e. being a fraud. I can see him being roasted alive by Drogon.

Asha Greyjoy is another possibility I suppose, especially if she ends up in Braavos like some people speculate. Not one I favour personally though.

My mind is always cast back to the warning Quaithe gives Dany:

Does this mean she can't trust Tyrion and therefore he won't/can't be one of the dragon heads? Maybe Tyrion will be the one to kill off the dragons in the end because they're too dangerous. Quentyn obviously tried to release the dragons so his distrust is obvious. Aegon if he is indeed fake obviously shouldn't be trusted. Victarion means to steal her dragons and her as well to be his bride so it can't end well with him. I'd guess we all want Tyrion to help Dany so I wonder what it means for him. Maybe the lion will end up being Gerion Lannister who was AWOL in those parts. So yeah, I think this sadly could cast some doubt on the Tyrion theory.

I would be satisfied with Tyrion's story if he found where "whores go" and ran into Tysha (sp?). Then, he and she could live where they left off and have a quiet, simple sort of life. I know that may seem a little lame for such a crafty, important character, but I really think that all he really wants is to love, be loved, and live simply.

I still feel that Arya will get to ride one of the Dragons dispite what Dany thinks about who should be riding her dragons. Dany may think that Arya is from a family of usurpers but I think Tyrion and Barristian will eventually too the reality of the times that is was Robert B who took the throne and not Ned Stark. That her father Mad King had wrong the Starks which start Robert's rebellion to begin with and that her father was indeed a mad king. Added that Dany will need the support of the other houses in Westeros too her claim to the thrones that getting the support of House Stark would be a great asset to her cause. Then there is Mel's prophecy too Jon about seeing Arya again riding the Horse of Death I don't think Mel mean that Arya would be riding a regular Pale Horse of the Bible but the fire breathing, flying horse aka Dragon delivering death on towns and armies of Westeros.

Round 1

Round 2

Dany same reason

This is a really intriguing new idea! Have to think about it some more before I reach any conclusions, but haven't heard this one before. Thanks for your post.

Dany on Drogon, but she will die, horribly. Jon will take Drogon

Rhaegal will be flown by Meera Reed, Jon's twin, Rhaegars daughter who is a gal. Rhae-gal. She lived with a Greenseer at Greywater and has been described as wearing a Bronze scale vest. Mirroring Rhaegals colouring.

Viserion? Aegon. Jon if Dany doesnt die.

I find it absolutely ridiculous to put Jon there. The Starks and Targaryens aren't allies, why on earth would Dany let Jon ride her dragons. Even of R+L=J is true, I don't think that Dany will swallow it. Martin sent him to the wall for a reason!

Ps I'll cry If Dany dies.

Jon is not ridiculous at all. Jon, Tyrion, and Dany are the logical choices for dragon riders. Their common thread being that they are the only 3 characters we know of who killed their mother during childbirth.

My bet is Jon Tyrion and Dany. Dany is a sure thing and I think Tyrion is as well. Jon I'm not so sure on due to the enormous distance between both and the fact that Jon represents Ice while the dragons represent fire. However I think the one that will sit on the IT is either Aegon or Stannis.

Dany - Is a forsure dragon rider no buts about that.

Tyrion - Even if Tryrion is the son of the Mad King I don't see him jumping for joy to ride a dragon.

Aegon - The big question here is Aegon a Trag or Not?? For if offered a dragon Aegon will jump at the chance to ride one.

Jon - Most likely R+L=Jon but the question here would Jon ride one of the Dragons if offered? At this time Jon has not shown any interest in riding any dragon but I could see Jon offering a certain little sister his dragon.

Arya - even thou not a Targ I could see Arya bonding with one of the dragons that would of been ment for Jon.

Mystery Targaryen Family Members - This meaning what if Rhye's children were not killed by the Mountain because someone was able save them before the Mountain got too them? There has been talk that this Aegon could be a fake Aegon and that the real Aegon could still be alive so what if R-Aegon and R-Sister are still alive living in one of the free cities like Braavos they may want to ride one of the dragons. That is if they are still alive and not dead.

Archived