The Tad Williams Thread

Olaf

Thanks for the tip!

*riffles through book*

*wails* But that's not for another 230 pages of redundant and tautologous adjectives and adverbs!

Williams gives you more information then you need, but it does help to add layers to his world. I promise that the pace picks up.

Simon does start out very annoying, but that is one of the strengths of the series, watching him mature and grow. I would say finish the first book, and if you dislike it don't read the following books. I almost stopped reading LotR because Fellowship has such a slow start, but man was I glad I kept going because once the story really starts, it gets addictive. ;)

when i started reading Dragonbone Chair a while back, i thought it was pretty slow too...but then it picks up and you never look back. The way Tad writes, i think, is amazing. Currently reading To Green Angel Tower now after AFFC, and just coming back to it, i can recall the world Tad built as well as the change the characters have gone through. great series.

REPOST FROM SHADOWMARCH.COM

Posted by Tad Williams:

I'm into the closing stretch of SHADOWPLAY, and the themes are finally showing themselves. The last few chapters are kind of going to be like the christening segement of THE GODFATHER.

Shadowmarch.com Message Board Nov. 28th.

REPOST FROM SHADOWMARCH.COM

Posted by Tad Williams:

I'm into the closing stretch of SHADOWPLAY, and the themes are finally showing themselves. The last few chapters are kind of going to be like the christening segement of THE GODFATHER.

Shadowmarch.com Message Board Nov. 28th.

What is Shadow Play?

SHADOWPLAY is the sequel to SHADOWMARCH, and the second book in his current trilogy. The third and final book will be SHADOWFALL.

Wow have I not been paying attention to books that are coming out. :bang: I didn't even know that Williams had started another series, (I'm in nursing school right now and have not had a lot of time to read for pleasure); I will have to check this series out though. What is the basis for the series? (Don't spoil to much just the generals of it). Thank you for letting me know about it!!! :D

It is similar in style to his MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN series.

Williams opens another of the intricate, intriguing sagas that are his stock-in-trade. In a once turbulently conflicted land of humans, elves, and dwarves, an old truce is starting to unravel. The frontier called the Shadowline, between the Twilight Lands and those of humans, is being breached. The first Marchlands kingdom in the path of Twilight invaders is in disarray, for its king is a prisoner, and not all accept his elder son's regency. What's more, the cruel empire of the south is moving north. So the Marchlands are caught between two foes while having to deal with internal intrigues and inexperienced rulers.

The first book has just come out in a nice trade paperback ed.

It is similar in style to his MEMORY, SORROW AND THORN series.

Williams opens another of the intricate, intriguing sagas that are his stock-in-trade. In a once turbulently conflicted land of humans, elves, and dwarves, an old truce is starting to unravel. The frontier called the Shadowline, between the Twilight Lands and those of humans, is being breached. The first Marchlands kingdom in the path of Twilight invaders is in disarray, for its king is a prisoner, and not all accept his elder son's regency. What's more, the cruel empire of the south is moving north. So the Marchlands are caught between two foes while having to deal with internal intrigues and inexperienced rulers.

The first book has just come out in a nice trade paperback ed.

Thank you!!! I will defiantly check this out!

• 3 months later...
I am also very much looking forward to the Nibelungs project....

Personally, I have grown quite allergic to endless re-tellings of the well-known myths that fantasy writers like to indulge in. Give me some fresh plots instead! The only saving grace of such undertakings is the fact that it is the _only_ time that ultimate failure and genuine tragedy on the part of protagonists gets written in fantasy at all. But the downside is that like with historical novels the plot is known in advance, so there are no big surprises.

Having gotten that off my chest - any fresh news about Williams?

The Nibelungenlied is probably one of the German myths that's been retold the most. With very different degrees of quality, so I'll wait and see what the critics on this board will say.

Williams has a collection forthcoming from Subterranean Press this fall called RITE: SHORT WORK.

Pre-Order from Subterranean

SHADOWPLAY, the second book in the SHADOWMARCH trilogy will be out in the US and the UK in January 2007.

The Nibelungen book will not be a full-length novel or even multi-volume, but rather a short book (for Williams), but it will be fully illustrated by a famous artist (forgot the name, it was not a typical fantasy artist)

And the book will be written especially for the German market, so it will probably be out in Germany before it will be published anywhere else.

I don't know if he has even managed to sell it anywhere else.

I think in the US only a small-press would be interested in producing an expensive heavily illustrated book.

Oh...and there will be a six issue mini-series from DC Comics this summer called THE NEXT.

I remember not really liking Shadowmarch. Not terrible, but it didn't really grab me (I'm a big fan of MS&T, Otherland (for the first 3 books), Tailchaser and War of the Flowers). I finished it, but my big problem was the ending, where I got the impression that I could tell you most of the plot for the rest of the books. I also felt the main characters were stereotypical and that their futures are more predictable than that of the plot. OTOH, I'll probably check out the next book to see if I'm right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I read them some years ago when the books were published.

IIRC, they were ok, but a little bit looong and sometimes boring. :unsure:

Usually I like to re-read books, but I can't bring myself to re-read these books. :|

My favorit character was Orlando. :) and I didn't like Renie at all. :P

I thought they were great. A bit too long perhaps, but the episodic nature of the story helped it. Just as you were getting bored of Chess World, they'd go to HG Wells World or Giant Insect World or whatever. A damn good story and something I hope to reread in the next few years (although not until I've reread MS&T, which was a lot longer ago).

I liked them very much. They are long and some characters get a bit annoying, but in the end it all comes together and it works.

I've been asking myself how many of the Otherland worlds are based on actual books.

The Tolkien world is obvious, and there are a couple of others that I recognised.

I liked the kind of victorian steampunk world with mars and venus people that Paul ended up in quite at the beginning. Anybody know anything about that one?

I liked the kind of victorian steampunk world with mars and venus people that Paul ended up in quite at the beginning. Anybody know anything about that one?

I think (though I'm not certain, cause I never read them) that that was an homage to the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books. A Princess of Mars, etc.

Archived