Confessions....Say What v2!

I confess that I don't follow the Heresy threads because I don't think I am intelligent enough to understand what the hell those people are talking about.

I read one and I was like, "let-me back-out-o- the-room-slowly-and-maybe-no-one-will-notice-I-was-here." I felt so dumb.

:agree:

I read one and I was like, "let-me back-out-o- the-room-slowly-and-maybe-no-one-will-notice-I-was-here." I felt so dumb.

:agree:

I know exactly what you mean. I tried reading one also, but people were referring to the Others as the Sidth, and I was like WTF? Who are the Sidth? Did I completely miss a whole race of people?

I know exactly what you mean. I tried reading one also, but people were referring to the Others as the Sidth, and I was like WTF? Who are the Sidth? Did I completely miss a whole race of people?

I had no idea either. It's about an email Mr. Martin wrote to an illustrator describing the Others comparing them to the Sidhe.

http://asoiaf.wester...others-roundup/

"The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful...think,oh...the Sidhe made of ice, something like that...a different sort of life...inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

They're good people in those topics and completely about discussion not argument from what I've seen so far and hopefully fine with answering questions since that's all I've been doing.

I always liked Jon and Dany (*gasp*). Didn't like their ADWD arcs so much, but until ASOS I found them fine.

I really hope Jon stays dead. I really, really do, even though I like him as a character. Not only did we have more than enough bait and switches already, I feel that he died in much the same situation as Ned. While in a position of power, he failed to recognize the changing situation around him, the fact that he was pushing his Watch brothers ever farther away. I honestly and distinctly remember opening his last chapter thinking to myself, "Well dude, you're probably going to die, and you know what, it's your own damn fault".

His death would impact the story greatly on the Northern front, having repercussions not only on the Watch and the Wildlings but also on Stannis and the whole plot at Winterfell, so it would serve much the same plot purpose as Ned's did (I disagree with people who say it makes his entire arc up to this point meaningless). And it would prove, once and for all, that GRRM has balls of steel.

I think a great weakness of this series it that if GRRM intends the Others to be really important, he has pretty much failed at making them interesting so far. I just can't get interested in the whole Others threat, because it doesn't feel very real for me. I can't picture them, I find the difference between them/wights/White Walkers confusing even after having it explained on this forum, and I don't really find them too threatening to anyone South of the Wall (although I did find the attack on the Fist terrifying - but wasn't that only wights anyway?). If he is going to transition in the last 2 books to focusing more on the fight against the Others, I will be really sad.

I have read that Qarl the Maid/Asha sex scene a few more times than I care to admit. It is really hot!

No matter how hard I try, I just can't like Sansa.

I don't get the Robert is such a whore hate. He never claimed to be anything else.

I dont think Viserys was "mad" as in crazy. But mad as in angry. He was just bitter and cruel.

I don't see the problem with there being multiple secret Targaryens. I think it's kinda funny.

I think Arya will return to Gendry and confess her love for him. And he for her.

I hope Jon gets to kill UnCat

--I think Victarion is a two dimensional character and he kind of reminds me of Jan from the Brady Bunch, always in Marsha (Euron's) shadow.

--Jon's chapters are my favorite. I was surprised when people mentioned them being boring.

--I never really cared about Robb. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen to him and the Red Wedding wasn't really an emotional/agonizing event for me. Mostly it made me feel even worse for Arya because she'd lost nearly her entire family.

--At first Brienne's chapters felt like a bunch of pointless wandering.

--Ever since Tyrion left King's Landing I've been less and less invested in that location.

--I actually want Margaery to die at her trial. The Tyrells have gotten off far too easy during this war.

--I still like Dany. People complain about Mereen, but I feel like it was necessary.

--The Blackfish fails to impress me.

Oh one more thing, I don't mind all the rampant sex in asoiaf, I usually take it with a grain of salt and chuckle at things like "Lancel pumping dutifully away" however sometimes I'll be reading one, say Arianne and Oakheart, and it's just like so descriptive and in your face I can't help but imagine GRRM typing furiously and sweating, wide eyed and not bllinking hammering keys at the computer until something breaks his trance like the pizza guy ringing the door bell or his cat knocking over a jar.

I imagine lots of heavy breathing and more than just a keyboard being hammered.

And for those who think I'm being too harsh, let's review the scene in question:

“Silent he stood, drinking in the glories of her body, the round ripe breasts with their huge dark nipples, the lush curves of waist and hip. And then somehow he ws holding her, and she was pulling off his robes. When she reached his undertunic she seized it by the shoulders and ripped the silk down to his navel, but arys was past caring. Her skin was smooth beneath his fingers, as warm to touch as sand baked by the dornish sun. He raised her head and found her lips. Her mouth opened under his, and her breasts filled his hands. He felt her nipples stiffen as his thumbs brushed over them. Her hair was black and thick and smelled of orchids, a dark earthy smell that made him so hard it almost hurt.

“Touch me, Ser,” the woman whispered in his ear. His hand slipped down her rounded belly and found the sweet wet place between the thicket of black hair. “Yes, there,” she murmured as he slipped a finger inside her. “More, oh more, yes, sweet, my knight, my sweet white knight, yes you, you, I want you.” “Deeper, she whispered. “Yes, oh.”

(It goes on like this for a few more paragraphs, until finally, a nipple is twisted and an orgasm achieved.)

Then, one page later:

“I can tend to my own honor.” She touched a finger to her breast, drawing it slowly round her nipple. “And to my own pleasures, if need be. … Seeing her there upon the featherbed, smiling that wicked smile, toying with her breast. Was there ever a woman with nipples so large or so responsive? He could hardly look at them without wanting to grab them, to suckle them until they were hard and wet and shiny.

For some this might be the height of great erotic writing. For me, though, I was simply struggling to contain my laughter as he got to describing Arrianne "huge brown nipples" for the third bloody time.

Confession:

I find the Arys and Arianne sex scene still totally hot after the last post, regardless of the image that had just been evoked on what GRRM may or may not be "hammering" while writing it. :ack: I rather not think about it. I will admit that it is pretty fucking funny how many times the term "huge dark nipples" had been squeezed in for just a few paragraphs.

I don't think all of the sex scenes are horrible. Asha and Qarl are right up there with Arys and Arianne for me. Although "her cunt became the world" is a pretty ridiculous line.

I had no idea either. It's about an email Mr. Martin wrote to an illustrator describing the Others comparing them to the Sidhe.

http://asoiaf.wester...others-roundup/

"The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful...think,oh...the Sidhe made of ice, something like that...a different sort of life...inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

They're good people in those topics and completely about discussion not argument from what I've seen so far and hopefully fine with answering questions since that's all I've been doing.

I have no doubt that they are good people. I was just having a little fun at their expense.

It's just that for me the Heresy issue is something I find a little too complex.

It's my own fault really, because I basically skimmed over parts of the books that dealt with the history of Westeros.

One of the things I have told myself is that when I do a re-read of all the books I am going to focus on those chapters dealing with the Heresy topic so I can get a better grasp on the issue. I figure by the time TWOW comes out I will be an expert.

- tyrion is not a superintelligent genius. He is that unpopular guy who in order to compensate for his insecurities studies a lot, and because of that he is booksmart, and belives that he is smarter than the rest. But he would not stand a chance against truly genius people.

This. I think Jaime, the former dumb jock, is proving to be the smartest of Tywin's children. Being smarter does not redeem him, though.

I like Bran's POVs. When I started reading AGOT, i.e., before I knew how GRRM works, I thought he was going to be the hero of the story. Now I know there are no "heroes," but I still think he can kick ass as a tree and

I love the Bloodraven-and-Bran-warged tag team of ravens in the gift chapter

I caught on to R & L = J without any hints from the outside, and I think it's rather obvious. All epic fantasies have that character who is the orphan/bastard child of unknown-but-exalted parentage who has inherited supernatural powers and obtains a magical weapon so he can fight and win The War Between Good & Evol. In ASOIAF, Jon is "it," although this series being what it is, "it" might mean f*ck all.

I don't like the name Arya, but I'd like it if it were spelled Aria. Go figure.

I don't like the name Sansa, it sounds like the name of a Scandinavian airline or a line of expensive German kitchen appliances. I do like the name Sancha because it's real. Lots of historical Sanchas out there.

I don't like the name "Jaime" for the character Jaime. It resembles no other name from that corner of the ASOIAF world, in context it sounds juvenile (that's NOT a comment about the name in RL) and there's no explanation for it.

The Sidhe (pronounced "shee"), also known as the Fae, are the fairies of Celtic legends, and they bear absolutely no resemblance to Tinkerbell. These are the cursing, kidnapping, screaming at your death (i.e. banshee) kind of fairies.

This. I think Jaime, the former dumb jock, is proving to be the smartest of Tywin's children. Being smarter does not redeem him, though.

OT, but you made me think of this. Jaime is the only one of the three Lannister siblings that does not desire power. With the other two, who very much want power, we see it as a corrupting force in a way it is not with Jaime.

I love Victorion Greyjoy. He is a complete one dimensional badass, and I love reading about him. In fact, he is the only Greyjoy I like. I hate the all the other Greyjoys. Theon, I find to be more whiny then others do Jon Snow, its annoying for me to read him (I want him to find redemption and then die). Balon is one of the dumbest characters I have read about. I still can't bring myself to like Asha, after she let her brother feel her up! Aeron is crazed religious fanatic. And Euron has a few reasons for me to hate him, but mostly he possibly killed his brother, set his other brother up to die with a magic horn. The Greyjoys are awful and boring for me to read, except for Victorion, because he is a badass.

Another thread lead me to two other confessions. I think Ellaria Sand is so awesome and is sadly overlooked when discussing cool minor characters.

Also, I've always wanted to try a cosplay getup at least once, but never had the courage, dedication, or opportunity to do so. If I did, however, I would totally love to dress-up as either Ellaria Sand or Arianne Martell. Perhaps next Halloween :P and I can already see the confused looks on people's faces when they ask me who my costume is since I don't personally know anybody else who read the series.

- I feel GRRM doesn't realize that peopled loved the political climate moreso than his magic system (so much that there is a board game based on the conquest itself)

Like it or not, it's more realistic. The political issues are never the deepest, most significant ones; they're just things that distract from them or hinder people from solving them.

Just as overpopulation and insufficient resources don't care about politics in our world, so the Others won't in Martin's.

Like it or not, it's more realistic. The political issues are never the deepest, most significant ones; they're just things that distract from them or hinder people from solving them.

Just as overpopulation and insufficient resources don't care about politics in our world, so the Others won't in Martin's.

Yep, that's why it's the Game of Thrones. The political stuff, the jockeying for power, causes people to lose sight of what is really important.

A couple of big ones.

I LOVE Dany :wub: (Emilia Clarke too :smileysex: ). I even think her string of titles to be super cool. I totally want her to go back to Westeros and kick some ass. I know that this will be a cliche but cliches are used so often because people actually like them.

I don't like Sansa and I don't understand why people do like her. Sometimes when I see Sansa loving post I wonder whether I and the poster are reading the same books. :dunno:

Archived