HBO, Producers Respond to Controversy

Westeros

Not that I think that this should have been an issue at all, but they've been living in this country for the past decade and are familiar with the 24 hour news stations and how they like to sensationalize EVERYTHING. Noone would have noticed this if D&D hadn't mentioned it. As it was it took months after the DVD was released for this to even make it to the press. Still it's a shit story and proof that politics has totally gone off the deep end.

I agree, but lets not go too far in considering this a reflection of modern politics. This doesn't come from an elected politician or a group with any power. Its the Brooklyn GOP. That might not mean much to someone outside of the US, but Brooklyn is one neighborhood inside one city in the most Democract-dominated county in one of the most Democrat-dominated states in the country. Anyone can complain on the internet, and these days companies seem obliged to treat it as if its worth responding to rather than risk losing any money.

Which I wholeheartedly disagree with. As Elio said, I think it would have been the same if it had been al Al Pacino head or a George Bush head, something funny to joke about with the prop crew.

Why are you so certain that D&D are lying? Isn't it possible they they just recognized it was funny as hell? Once you get a celebrity's prostehtic head, how could you not use it?

It's impossible for me to answer this question without stereotyping, but there are very few people in their profession and peer group, who attended the sorts of institutions D&D did, who do not loathe and despise George Bush, or at the very least find him ridiculous. I'm sure these people exist, but I have yet to encounter them. This is part of what made the joke worth mentioning on the DVD.

But I already agreed it would be funny if it were Al Pacino, but not funny in the same way.

I don't know what to think about this. After all, the Head is up there with Ned Stark's and the other Stark loyalists. So the connection for George W. Bush is to the Starks vs. that douche bag Joffrey. Is this some subtle way of saying the the Democrats are represented by Joffrey?

Could it be that they are equating Hillary to Cersei?

How high up in US politics can a person get before they should be immune to having their fake head on a spike? Senator? What about other celebrities? Should William Shatner complain to the producers of Halloween for using his likeness? Cos you know, those Halloween bastards are clearly Picard fans, and MUST have been making a point. They should really apologise immediately.

OR it was just the mask that was to hand, just as this was the fake-head that happened to be to hand. The fact that they mentioned it in the commentary shows how utterly irrelevant they thought it was, just as we should.

The precise order appears to be that someone noted it on Reddit as a funny detail (as one does on Reddit), io9 picked it up as a funny geeky bit of trivia (as they do), then someone at the Daily Mail picked it up and contacted Eaton who gave a rather predictable response, and then everyone else started covering the vaguely manufactured news item as "controversy", then for some reason HBO felt it necessary to prostate itself over something that no one cared about and so it gets legitimacy and wider coverage.

Might have known the fucking daily mail would be involved. I'm sure they're the founders of the uk george bush fan club.

Only in 'merica could a damn prop lead to political shitstorm that threatens the future of a popular show.

This isn't a political shitstorm, and it does not threaten the future of the show. Only on the internet do people make such dumb comments.

Dude , just get a gripe seriously ! Do you really think it was intentional ?

Now it was intentional. D and D are the folks who put "Ros" in episodes and unnecessarily put a full nude woman in, "Blackwater" against the director's original plan.

D and D are too control freakish and mentioned on their DVD for a purpose . . .. everything that you see and hear on TV and movies and music is placed their for a purpose.

Neither William Shatner or Patrick Stewart have been presidents of the United States. It was a careless, stupid thing to do. If the head was visible in the dvd, I am sure that someone knew that the head was a likeness to President Bush. If they really could not afford to build/buy another head (which I don't believe), they could have moved the 'Bush' head so far down that the camera would not reveal the features, and kept quiet about it. I think someone, possibly more than one person, thought it was funny to use a head of George W. Bush in the scene; and that's why it was used.

The head was not visible on the DVD. You've seen the picture, have you not? Noone knew that the head was Bush's It was halfway turned around with a long-haired wig. You could have blown that picture up and shown it on a big screen in time square for a week and noone would have figured it out. The only reason that ANYONE outside of the production team knows about it is because they told us. Pure and simple. Quit trying to make this case. You're showing your own ignorance.

Let's get this story straight, noone noticed the features until it was pointed out to them, and if anyone's trying to say it now, they're lying. It's not the type of thing that's easily noticeable, especially from that angle and with the wig. Like I said before had they never commented on it on the DVD it would have been merely another prop, nothing more. A long-haired head on a spike in profile.

Neither William Shatner or Patrick Stewart have been presidents of the United States. It was a careless, stupid thing to do. If the head was visible in the dvd, I am sure that someone knew that the head was a likeness to President Bush. If they really could not afford to build/buy another head (which I don't believe), they could have moved the 'Bush' head so far down that the camera would not reveal the features, and kept quiet about it. I think someone, possibly more than one person, thought it was funny to use a head of George W. Bush in the scene; and that's why it was used.

Which is what I was getting at with the first part of my post - why is the post of President of the United States exempt from this? How about other world leaders? How big does a country need to be for its leader to qualify for head-on-spike exemption? If they could easily afford another head, why didn't GRRM get his request?

Now it was intentional. D and D are the folks who put "Ros" in episodes and unnecessarily put a full nude woman in, "Blackwater" against the director's original plan.

D and D are too control freakish and mentioned on their DVD for a purpose . . .. everything that you see and hear on TV and movies and music is placed their for a purpose.

What does that have to do with everything ? It could just be something they thought it would be funny to mention in the commentary and it was for anyone who is not a butthurt american . You americans get offended very easily by simplest things . Why do you think people look at this country as a joke ?

Whatever your opinion on this discussion, everyone can agree it's good PR for HBO. Before all this I didn't know they made a Bush documentary, and now I do. Now that HBO have announced they're editing this scene on future releases of the DVD, it will prompt a lot of 'on-the-fence' people to rush and buy season one before the replacement batch makes this a scene exclusive for a select few DVDs from the past.

Archived