[Spoilers] Stark Revenge Possibilities are growing lesser and lesser...

gamer9726

I see them concentrating on surviving while their enemies slowly kill each other. In the end, when the world lies in ruins, they are going to stand up and say: "Well, we're going to do this and this and this. Anybody who wants to is welcome to join/follow us." And before they know it, they're crowned king/queen :)

I think the ultimate revenge will center on Littlefinger at last. He is the one who started it all

-he was the reason for the murder of Jon Arryn

-he made Catelyn trust him and make Ned Stark trust him and then conspired with the City Watch against Ned which resulted in Neds death

so I think either Sansa or UnCat will learn the truth and take their revenge.

• 1 year later...

We will definitely not get any Stark revenge, because it would contradict the message GRRM is trying to present. ASOIAF is very much anti-war and vengeance. So we can say bye bye to 'The North Remembers.'

Not even a little bit of vengeance? What makes you say that?

Not even a little bit of vengeance? What makes you say that?

Lets look at the response of Sansa and Arya on Joffrey's death. Instead of being happy their first thought is how empty they feel and how it won't bring their family back. Heck Sansa even goes as far to feel a little bit of guilt for Joffrey even though she should hate him more than anyone. GRRM said in one of interviews that he wanted the readers to feel pity for Joffrey and Cersei. Regardless of how much of a terrible human being he is Joffrey was a fourteen year old child and absolutely terrified when he choked to death. Plus no mother deserves to see her child die in front of her eyes.

Another perfect example is Theon. I think it is safe to say that majority of readers completely hated Theon by the end of ACOK and wanted him to pay for what he did. However when he returned in ADWD I also think that a good portion of those people felt guilty for having those revenge wishes for him. I for one felt incredible guilty.

The message of these examples show to me how anti-vengeance ASOIAF is and for this very reason I don't think we will ever get a Stark Revenge. What we may get is justice (like Little Finger getting beheaded and his head getting spiked on the walls of Winterfell), but 'The North Remembers' scenario is probably out of the question.

I like the notions that the Starks will survive and stay true to themselves, as a family and house.

Survival implies the true long night, which has been teased for decades now. Death is upon the realms.

Am I the only one to see the Others as the greatest vengeance, or karma? After all, 'THE OTHERS TAKE HIM!"

I mean, the Starks are wardens of the north, and therefore the wall, which guards the realms of men. They are justice and hospitality, two sides of a coin, the true leaders and guardians of men. And the realm tried to slaughter them all... The realm has assured its own death.

I think vengeance will be reaped a plenty, but it won't be by 'Stark' hands. In the end the Starks, and those who pay head to the old gods, will outlast the carnage, reforge the watch from the realm, and return north from a partial exhile south.

The wolves will outlast them all.

Archived