Tyrion's marriage prospects

Batman

Now, at this very point(THE END OF DWD), Tyrion is a horrible match, and no Great house would have accepted any offers made by Tywin. He is now married to Sansa. I hope we will see the disolution of that marriage, and Tyrion becoming Lord of Casterly Rock. Maybe then, people would reconsider having him as in law.

Well, there is just a small problem (excuse the pun!) - Tyrion murdered Tywin. Which makes him even worse than Jaime in the eyes of most people, as he is a Kin-slayer.

So in terms of being the heir to Casterly Rock and a marriage prospect, he first has to 1. return to Westeros, and 2. somehow get that little murder matter set aside. Then of course, there is 3. his marriage to Sansa. OK, that may be able to be set aside, but if Tysha is still alive ...

As for being Lord of Casterly Rock, I wonder how acceptable he would be to the men of the West? Seriously - would they be prepared to accept Tywin's despised son, the man who murdered Tywin, as the head of the Lannister family and their leader? I hardly think so, as Tywin was definitely respected by his men. I think they would prefer some other male in the Lannister line, and however smart Tyrion was or is, I reckon he would have a huge problem being accepted by the Lannister bannermen.

I have to admit the question puzzles me a little, too.

I'm just re-reading AGoT, there's for example Ser Gregor, who Ned says was about to marry for the third time, his first two wives having died under suspicious circumstances. It's really a bit weird in my modern eyes that three fathers would be willing to marry their daughters to Gregor, while Tywin couldn't find any match for Tyrion - except Lollys.

This is true but we don't know anything about Gregor's wives. They were most likely not noble. Probably daughters of some landed knights or something? Either way I think it's very likely that there was serious intimidation involved, for both the lady and her family. I can't really see Gregor courting any one.

When exactly did Tywin offer Tyrion for the Tully girls? There was only about a year between Tyrion becoming heir and the marriages to Ned and Jon. If Tywin made the offer before Jaime joined the KG Tyrion would not have been nearly so much a good offer. Maybe that goes for some of the other houses too.

He said it to Tyrion in ASOS when discussing Sansa Stark. He said that Lord Hoster claimed he wanted "a whole man for his daughter". Tyrion wasnt too sad about that. I assume it was after Jaime joined the Kingsguard since he and Hoster were keen on a marriage between those two at first.

What about his marriage prospects if he's Lord of Casterly Rock at the end? I expect his marriage to Sansa to be set aside. He doesn't love her. She doesn't love him. Where does that leave him? Send out that he's looking for Tysha and interview the thousand applicants who show up, none of whom may be her, who understandably may not want anything to do with him or his family? Penny, Lady of Casterly Rock? If Tywin had died naturally and left him Casterly Rock, I could've seen him marrying Shae, but, well, that's out now ...

Shae or Penny? Surely the Lord of Casterly Rock is worth more than that, I dont think even Tyrion would do that. he has to know that would destroy the Lannisters reputation.

I always thought that Brienne would have been a good candidate.

Tyrion and Brienne are the most unwanted marriage candidates on Westeros. So, their parents are quite desperate.

Brienne is the only heir to Tarth. Is a lesser house, but at least the Tywin would have won something if Tyrion and Brienne would have married.

I think that would bring more shame than Tywin would be comfortable with. He despises laughter and I think there would be a lot of it at the wedding (wrong as that is).

He does say at one point though that he finally "sunk so low" as to offer to marry Tyrion to Delana Florent, after she had been dishonoured by having Robert's child, but that her father refused.

Unless Tywin was lying there, he was willing to marry Tyrion off to almost anyone of noble birth who would have him.

Personally I think Tywin was lying to convince Tyrion to marry Sansa.

Dwarf or not, I find it really unlikely that there wouldn't be at least a few greedy fathers among the nobility willing to have his daughter married to the son of the richest man in the realm.

So in terms of being the heir to Casterly Rock and a marriage prospect, he first has to 1. return to Westeros, and 2. somehow get that little murder matter set aside. Then of course, there is 3. his marriage to Sansa. OK, that may be able to be set aside, but if Tysha is still alive ...

Do you seriously think that, after the last book and if Tyrion should indeed survive the story, he will care for marrying a woman for her status?? Maybe he, like it is possible for other characters as well, he may feel the need ot make decisions based on political necessities. But an arranged marriage for the gain of status - that would imo go very much against the message Martin wants to give with his books.

No, no reasonable predictions for the time when all is said and done, so the small matter of not being eligible for marriage as kinslayer might be indeed the smallest of Tyrion's problems - if he survives.

Dwarf or not, I find it really unlikely that there wouldn't be at least a few greedy fathers among the nobility willing to have his daughter married to the son of the richest man in the realm.

Ditto. Lord Frey, for one, would have been happy to place one of his female descendants, I am sure. And if Tywin turned to one of his vassals, they wouldn't have dared to say no.

And there is this - Tywin didn't want Tyrion to inherit the Rock. But if Tyrion had healthy trueborn children it would have been much more difficult to prevent that. And trying to do so would look very strange.

Both Sansa and Lollys had inheritance claims of their own, which would have allowed Tywin to shunt Tyrion's children away from the Rock without too much controversy. IMHO, it was the only time when he really tried to get Tyrion married.

So you think that Tywin was lying about offering Tyrion to Royce and the others?

Tyrion and Brienne are the most unwanted marriage candidates on Westeros. So, their parents are quite desperate.

Brienne is the only heir to Tarth. Is a lesser house, but at least the Tywin would have won something if Tyrion and Brienne would have married.

I don't think Brienne would have accepted him to be honest. She would have challenged him to duel and won like she did her last suitor, and Tyrion would have been such a laughingstock that Tywin would have probably disinherited him in his shame.

Or maybe Tyrion would choose Bronn as his champion and Brienne would realize that there's more to a possible husband than just a good warrior...

Naah, seriously, they's be a horrible couple: she would judge him honourable and evil, and he would think she's dull and boring.

Or maybe Tyrion would choose Bronn as his champion and Brienne would realize that there's more to a possible husband than just a good warrior...

Naah, seriously, they's be a horrible couple: she would judge him honourable and evil, and he would think she's dull and boring.

I think Brienne would give Bronn a run for his money, at the very least.

Anyway given his reaction to the Lollys proposal I don't think Tyrion would have accepted her either.

Thing is, Brienne's father actually cares about her happiness and won't marry her off just to be rid of her.

Bronn and Brienne have similar fighting styles. They both tend to let their opponent wear themselves out before striking. And they have similar names. They're personalities are exactly opposite to each other.

There's a theory here somewhere but I just can't put my finger on it...

Anyway given his reaction to the Lollys proposal I don't think Tyrion would have accepted her either.

I think it had more to do with the fact that Lollys is... is there a politically correct way to say it? Mentally handicapped?

I think it had more to do with the fact that Lollys is... is there a politically correct way to say it? Mentally handicapped?

The whole "I'd rather cut it off and feed it to the goats" comment is definitely about her appearance and not her mind. The fact that she's not very bright doesn't help, but if she was smoking hot I think he wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think it's as if Sansa or Arya were to wed Jinglebell Frey.

Maybe the physical apprearance doesn't help, but it's not the point.

Lollys is sweet and trusting but she's clearly described as someone with a development disability. What kind of relationship can he expect to have with her?

The whole "I'd rather cut it off and feed it to the goats" comment is definitely about her appearance and not her mind. The fact that she's not very bright doesn't help, but if she was smoking hot I think he wouldn't have a problem with it.

Only on short term, for a long term relationship Tyrion need a equel intelligent wife

Archived