Tyrion's marriage prospects

Batman

I know that Tyrion is not the most appealing choice for a husband if you're arranging a marriage for your daughters but come on there are some up sides. For one, by law, he is the heir to Casterly Rock and all that goes with it, in theory he would be one of the most powerful lords in the realm. Houses Royce, Tully, Florent and Martell turned him down while he is considered to good for a member of house Stokeworth (by himself, but still).

Why wasnt there a Lord in the realm who could see the upside of marrying his daughter to Tyrion?

Who could have made a suitable match for the (at the time) heir to Casterly Rock?

His dwarfism would be taken very seriously into account, parents would fear their own grandkids would suffer the same "affliction".

And then their attempts to get heroic and famous families would supposedly be moot, as they do not expect a dwarf to be more than a monster.

Plus it was never truly classified that Tyrion was heir to Casterly Rock, Tywin was forever hoping there could be some loophole for Jaime to take it.

With that instability of an heir, people would fear binding themselves to a possibly landless, goldless lord.

When exactly did Tywin offer Tyrion for the Tully girls? There was only about a year between Tyrion becoming heir and the marriages to Ned and Jon. If Tywin made the offer before Jaime joined the KG Tyrion would not have been nearly so much a good offer. Maybe that goes for some of the other houses too.

I'm sure Tywin wouldn't accept a daughter of a minor house for his son, even if it was his only chance to marry Tyrion to somebody. He is a Lannister and a Lannister must marry a daughter of a major or at least powerfull house.

I'm sure Tywin wouldn't accept a daughter of a minor house for his son, even if it was his only chance to marry Tyrion to somebody.

He does say at one point though that he finally "sunk so low" as to offer to marry Tyrion to Delana Florent, after she had been dishonoured by having Robert's child, but that her father refused.

Unless Tywin was lying there, he was willing to marry Tyrion off to almost anyone of noble birth who would have him.

I'm sure Tywin wouldn't accept a daughter of a minor house for his son, even if it was his only chance to marry Tyrion to somebody. He is a Lannister and a Lannister must marry a daughter of a major or at least powerfull house.

if I recall correctly, Tywin even offered Tyrion to a Lord of a minor house for his daughter who was already pregnant. Instead that Lord married his daughter to one of his household knights. I thought Tywin said this in the conversation with Tyrion when he heard he was to marry Sansa Stark.

I have to admit the question puzzles me a little, too.

I'm just re-reading AGoT, there's for example Ser Gregor, who Ned says was about to marry for the third time, his first two wives having died under suspicious circumstances. It's really a bit weird in my modern eyes that three fathers would be willing to marry their daughters to Gregor, while Tywin couldn't find any match for Tyrion - except Lollys.

I don't think Tywin's attitude helped much, it's not hard to see that Tywin disliked to Tyrion and didn't want him to inherit. And with Jaime spending most of Robert's reign acting more like a Lannister than a kingsguard potential father-in-laws might not have been so confident that Tyrion would be the one to inherit in the end.

He does say at one point though that he finally "sunk so low" as to offer to marry Tyrion to Delana Florent, after she had been dishonoured by having Robert's child, but that her father refused.

Unless Tywin was lying there, he was willing to marry Tyrion off to almost anyone of noble birth who would have him.

Than I have no idea

Now, at this very point(THE END OF DWD), Tyrion is a horrible match, and no Great house would have accepted any offers made by Tywin. He is now married to Sansa. I hope we will see the disolution of that marriage, and Tyrion becoming Lord of Casterly Rock. Maybe then, people would reconsider having him as in law.

His dwarfism would be taken very seriously into account, parents would fear their own grandkids would suffer the same "affliction".

And then their attempts to get heroic and famous families would supposedly be moot, as they do not expect a dwarf to be more than a monster.

Plus it was never truly classified that Tyrion was heir to Casterly Rock, Tywin was forever hoping there could be some loophole for Jaime to take it.

With that instability of an heir, people would fear binding themselves to a possibly landless, goldless lord.

:agree: :agree:

Dwarves were considered something close to an abomination, to some it wouldn't have been a bad thing if Tywin would have had his son killed.

Beyond that, any children from Tyrion would have a good chance of having the same affliction. Plus, considering the feelings towards dwarves, I don't think there are many families who would want to have their daughters married to him.

The phrase for Tyrion, twisted little monkey demon, says quite a bit about what others would think about him.

I saw someone else mention Gregor and his wives. With Gregor, we don't know anything about their families or social status. It would not surprise me if Gregor intimated or threatened some of them.

While I can understand the fear of dwarfism even if Tyrion did not inherit Casterly Rock I do not think he would ever be landless and goldless. Tywin could have disinheritted Tyrion any time he wished. Instead he made sure he was educated and provided for. Whatever his personal feelings Tyrion was still a Lannister and I cannot see Tywin not providing for him if for no other reason than to protect the Lannister name.

Tyrion's prospects would always have been bad because of the dwarfism, but they were only made worse by Tywin's unwillingness to decide openly who his heir was. If he was known to be the heir then there wouldn't have been any shortage of brides. As it stood, though, he didn't have anything to inherit or contribute personally beyond his name - and even that held a low value because his father didn't care for him.

Tyrion's prospects would always have been bad because of the dwarfism, but they were only made worse by Tywin's unwillingness to decide openly who his heir was. If he was known to be the heir then there wouldn't have been any shortage of brides. As it stood, though, he didn't have anything to inherit or contribute personally beyond his name - and even that held a low value because his father didn't care for him.

Yes but Tywins wish heir Jaime care for him

What about his marriage prospects if he's Lord of Casterly Rock at the end? I expect his marriage to Sansa to be set aside. He doesn't love her. She doesn't love him. Where does that leave him? Send out that he's looking for Tysha and interview the thousand applicants who show up, none of whom may be her, who understandably may not want anything to do with him or his family? Penny, Lady of Casterly Rock? If Tywin had died naturally and left him Casterly Rock, I could've seen him marrying Shae, but, well, that's out now ...

I disargee that there would be many willing matches. Tywin expected a suitable birth from a bride, and they wouldn't want Tyrion. If he was named heir and match to a lower house, or a rich merchent family then that would open many doors, for titles as well as gold, but no noble house would except him.

I always thought that Brienne would have been a good candidate.

Tyrion and Brienne are the most unwanted marriage candidates on Westeros. So, their parents are quite desperate.

Brienne is the only heir to Tarth. Is a lesser house, but at least the Tywin would have won something if Tyrion and Brienne would have married.

Tyrion and Brienne are the most unwanted marriage candidates on Westeros. So, their parents are quite desperate.

Brienne is the only heir to Tarth. Is a lesser house, but at least the Tywin would have won something if Tyrion and Brienne would have married.

Is she two or three times as tall as Tyrion? :drunk:

:lol: I'd like to see those wedding photos...

Archived