Organising stuff to do in Chicago before and after WorldCon

Alytha

The Museum of Science and Industry

Has several interesting exhibitions going on, like one on the Mythbusters, and these which I'm too lazy to copy.

Dates: 28/29 August as the Mythbusters exhibition will end after the Con too.

People: Me, Adz?

that museum is awesome. We've been several times.

Day Trip to The Indiana Dunes for a nice day hiking around in nature.

Might be worth renting a car for a day, depending on interest.

Something I would like to do as a bit of balancing after being stuck inside for the Con for a couple of days, so: 4/5/6 September.

ETA: Very probably going to take place on 5th September (if it does).

People: Me, Song of Hounds and Wolves, motherofdragoncats, Adz?

Yep, I should be able to go. The particular day might have an impact on my ability to attend, but I'm pretty hopeful I can be there.

MG, added you.

Motherofdragoncats (we really need to find a shorter name for you ;) ) sorry to hear that :(

Here's my provisional schedule for Chicago:

27: arrival, if all goes well, and probably keel over at the hotel

28: Field Museum and poking around the campus there

29: Museum for Science and Industry / Oriental Institute Museum

30: Con

31: Con

1: Con

2: Con

3: Con

4: Millenium Park and Architecture boat Tour

5: Indiana Dunes

6: Flavours of Chicago Tour....dunno what else yet

7: Shopping/hanging around, and off to home.

Things left to fit in: Chinatown Food Tour: as it only runs during the weekend, I'd have to find a day during the Con with a boring schedule for noon and early afternoon.

Red Witch/Sailship tour: 29th or 6th I guess.

Let's see how much of this I manage to make happen... :)

Links to everything cited above are somewhere in the thread.

Museum for Science and Industry (question to the natives: on the map, this looks pretty far away from the centre. What's the best/safest way to get there? Is there anything else of interest nearby that you could recommend?)

If you look at my Everything You Need to Know About Chicago thread, in the Things to do in Chicago post I have a section on Hyde Park. In that section I tell you the best way to get there on public transportation as well as other things to do in Hyde Park (which is the area where the Museum of Science and Industry is located).

Nr 3: Boat Tour by The Chicago Architecture Foundation (as recommended by Lady Narcissa)

Price is 35$ per person if you book in advance. Tours leave about every half hour, so we should be able to get one. Lady N would you like to come along as an extra guide? ;)

Dates: 4/5/6 September

Possible participants: Me, Beniowa (if it's during Con), Angalin? (if that was the one you wanted to do)

I'd like to do this one, but it would have to be 30/31 August as I leave Sunday, 2 Sept.

If you look at my Everything You Need to Know About Chicago thread, in the Things to do in Chicago post I have a section on Hyde Park. In that section I tell you the best way to get there on public transportation as well as other things to do in Hyde Park (which is the area where the Museum of Science and Industry is located).

Thank you, Lady N!

So, the transport issue is solved, and this one looks pretty interesting too, and it's open extra long on Wednesdays: Oriental Institute Museum. I'll try to check that out after the Museum of Science and Industry (pending the time of the day and the state of my feet) on 29th August.

Participants for the Oriental Institute: me, Adz, motherofdragoncats(maybe), boiled leather+theredwoman

theredwoman and I should be up for the the tours on 8/29 and 9/4. Our plane leaves Hobby at 6pm on 9/4 and I know she wants to see the architecture/boat tour -- can we do it and still get home?

We are in too late on 8/28 to do much. We land about 3:30-- I just need to know which bar to go to at 5:30 or 6. :cheers:

thanks

theredwoman and I should be up for the the tours on 8/29 and 9/4. Our plane leaves Hobby at 6pm on 9/4 and I know she wants to see the architecture/boat tour -- can we do it and still get home?

We are in too late on 8/28 to do much. We land about 3:30-- I just need to know which bar to go to at 5:30 or 6. :cheers:

thanks

The Architecture Boat Tour runs fairly often, for example we could do it in the morning and go to the Park afterwards, so there shouldn't be a problem for you to come along.

The Architecture Boat Tour runs fairly often, for example we could do it in the morning and go to the Park afterwards, so there shouldn't be a problem for you to come along.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of CAF's boat tours sell out in advance. 9 of their tours on August 29th are already booked out. So if you really want to go on a particular day, you should book online before you get here.

Good point.

Currently, there's tickets for the following times: 10:00, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 3:00 and 3:30.

Personally, I'd go for 11:00 or 11:30.

Could the other people who were interested in coming along please let me know which timing they'd prefer, so we can all book soonishly?

Good point.

Currently, there's tickets for the following times: 10:00, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 3:00 and 3:30.

Personally, I'd go for 11:00 or 11:30.

Could the other people who were interested in coming along please let me know which timing they'd prefer, so we can all book soonishly?

11 or 11:30 works for me. how long of tour is it?

Archived