Is Quaithe Daenerys From The Future?

King Bolton 1990

I don't think so. I think Quaithe is described as having mismatched color eyes and Dany doesn't have that. I can't remember when this was mentioned, I think ADWD. I could be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

It's this reason I think she is Sheira seastar, the mismatched eyes, she covers her face cos she probs looks a bid dodgy at 100 yrs old!!!

I'm about 99% sure that it isn't but people want her to be Shiera Seastar, so this rumor started.

I think the only mention of her eyes is something about them being shiny and wet. No color mentioned.

Thanks. That's all I've found too. The wiki says, under Appearance: "Her eyes are visible behind the mask, wet and shiny. [4]" There is another mention of the moonlight shining in her eyes, but nothing about mismatched eyes.

Is it time travel or teleportation / magic? Im more inclined to believe it was teleportation or an illusion.

I don't know that it was time travel. It had been so long since I had read that chapter that I went back and read it again. I totally missed that it was the same bridge. I thought it was two seperate ones. Regardless, they were all on edge by the fog. The first time they pass through without difficulty and it is predicted they will be away from the area in about an hour. They have the arguement where Tyrion reveals himself to Young Griff and that he knows his secret and then suddenly they realize that they are coming upon the bridge again and this time all hell breaks loose. This is the same chapter that has one of the allusions of dragons associated with Tyrion. So there's magic in the air. If one of the bridge passages was an illusion, it had to be the first where they ,made it out safely. Its the second pass that infects Connington with grayscale.

I don't quite remember the episode in the book but I remember that in the show Quaithe knows that Jorah betrayed Dany. Maybe the writers know something we don't know yet...

This is also interesting to me and I have to wonder why GRRM would want or allow the story to change this way. Did he downsize Quaithe's role on purpose because she was a character that he dropped her purpose.

My guess is that GRMM became unsure of what exactly he wants to do with Quaithe and so he chose to minimize her importance on the tv show.

Will this be reflected in the books? I think not. The books give GRMM a chance to flesh out details char backgrounds and lots of subplots and themes that the show simply doesnt have time for. If GRMM is still pondering over Quathe, we prob won't get an explanation about her till the 7th book.

Then there is this: why does Quaithe wear a mask?

Does she seek to hide her identity from Daenerys or the reader?

Both, but more importantly who else is she trying to hide her identity from and why?

I believe she is working solo and probably going against her own social group / organization and that if they were to learn of her identity and actions they would kill her.

But there is a strong possibility that she is actually Ashara Dayne, due to the blatant hint about her mask looking like Starlight.

Both, but more importantly who else is she trying to hide her identity from and why?

I believe she is working solo and probably going against her own social group / organization and that if they were to learn of her identity and actions they would kill her.

But there is a strong possibility that she is actually Ashara Dayne, due to the blatant hint about her mask looking like Starlight.

Maybe she's a faceless woman. Who will ever suspect someone with a mask to be a faceless man? XD

Something I always thought was significant was Quaithe touching Daenerys' wrist, in the Qarth chapter with the Firemage.

Not really sure why, I think it's Daenery's mentioning that her wrist still tingled after Quaithe had left, at the point where she touched her. And it's quite specific about her using two fingers, as well, whatever that means.

I *think* this is the last time Daenerys meets Quaithe in person, the rest being some kind of long-distance telepathy made possible by the "magic touch".

No real evidence besides "tingling" and the increasingly unusual visitations.

I think that this theory is absolutely great. (but I also love the more "out there" theories so take it with a grain of salt). As for time travel: we know that numerous individuals have prophetic dreams so we have people that can see into the future. In the house of the undying Dany received visions that enabled her to see into the past. In one vision, she thought that Rhaegar looked at her when he mentioned that the dragon must have three heads. Is it possible that her presence was visible to Rhaegar at that instance? We know Bran has been able to peer into the past, and possibly his presence can be felt by those that he is viewing. It is discussed how the dragon biting it's tail is a sign that events repeat themselves over time (I think it was also a nod to Jordan's wheel of time series). So this is something that has been somewhat established.

I thought it could be Seastar as well, but why hide her presence? Outside of Bloodraven no one currently alive would have ever laid their eyes on her to my knowledge. (I also have a theory that Seastar is currently warged into Illyrio but that's for another thread). The fact that Quaithe initially met Dany as a corporeal person, however, who could be seen by other people (her bloodriders for instance) makes me have some doubts to this theory, however.

I do find it interesting that whenever someone proposed a fairly fantastical theory that the automatic reaction for a lot of the posters is to automatically deny and discount it as being ridiculous. I mean this is the series where a woman birthed a shadow assassin out of her womb, and we have a albino centenarian hooked up to a tree and controlling thousands of ravens. I mean pretty bizarre things happen in these books.

<snip>I do find it interesting that whenever someone proposed a fairly fantastical theory that the automatic reaction for a lot of the posters is to automatically deny and discount it as being ridiculous. I mean this is the series where a woman birthed a shadow assassin out of her womb, and we have a albino centenarian hooked up to a tree and controlling thousands of ravens. I mean pretty bizarre things happen in these books.

Right, but those are weird things we know to be true. Maybe more to the point, they are weird things we know to be true that come from the very creative mind of GRRM. As opposed to nonsensical theories from random internet guys or gals.

Big difference.

On a semi-related note, one of the most eye rolling aspects of this forum is when people try to 'out-weird' GRRM. For example, since we've more or less figured out R+L=J people assume there must be another twist. No, it couldn't simply be that R+L=J means R+L=J. There must have been a quintuple baby swap! Jon is really Aegon; Aegon is really Darkstar; Darkstar is really Brandon Stark; the Bradon Stark who died in KL was really Lyanna Stark; Lyanna Stark at the ToJ was really a turtle, etc.

Right, but those are weird things we know to be true. Maybe more to the point, they are weird things we know to be true that come from the very creative mind of GRRM. As opposed to nonsensical theories from random internet guys or gals.

Big difference.

On a semi-related note, one of the most eye rolling aspects of this forum is when people try to 'out-weird' GRRM. For example, since we've more or less figured out R+L=J people assume there must be another twist. No, it couldn't simply be that R+L=J means R+L=J. There must have been a quintuple baby swap! Jon is really Aegon; Aegon is really Darkstar; Darkstar is really Brandon Stark; the Bradon Stark who died in KL was really Lyanna Stark; Lyanna Stark at the ToJ was really a turtle, etc.

If a theory does not fit within the context of the story, then I agree with you. However, I don't think the OP's theory falls outside of the context of the story. We know that the future is something that can be viewed. We know that the past is something that can be viewed, and we know at least with some characters, they may be able to make their presence slightly known when they view into the past. Yes, Quaithe being Dany would take this to a whole other level, but the basic premise behind this has been established in the storylines. Now my basic problem is that Quaithe has been seen by people other than Dany which makes me sceptical that she is Dany contacting her past self.

If a theory does not fit within the context of the story, then I agree with you. However, I don't think the OP's theory falls outside of the context of the story. We know that the future is something that can be viewed. We know that the past is something that can be viewed, and we know at least with some characters, they may be able to make their presence slightly known when they view into the past. Yes, Quaithe being Dany would take this to a whole other level, but the basic premise behind this has been established in the storylines. Now my basic problem is that Quaithe has been seen by people other than Dany which makes me sceptical that she is Dany contacting her past self.

I think you pointed out the gist of my objection when you said Yes, Quaithe being Dany would take this to a whole other level... as that's where the slippery slope into nonsense begins. For example, taking a baby switch theory (e.g., (f)Aegon) to a whole other level is a double baby switch theory(!), and so on. We've already likely established that there are characters with secret identities in the series. Does it then seem reasonable to propose, without evidence, that any random character actually has a secret identity? Point being, I think it's sensible to draw a line somewhere.

For the record, I'm not talking about the OP in the last two posts. Just stating that I don't think we should accept 'weird' theories simply because GRRM has set a 'weirdness' precedent in the story.

Archived