DC/Baltimore Aug 3-4

As I may have complained about in GC, my boyfriend and I are going to Virginia the week after next. It's almost certainly going to be awkward and stressful. We'll be in DC on Friday and Saturday - maybe making a trip up to Baltimore too, depending on Ini's availability. Anyone in for dinner/drinks one of those nights in one of those places?

Guest Raidne

Ep, Friday the 3rd still looking good? I have a winery tour booked for Sat, so I'm no good there, but Friday is A-Ok.

Guest Raidne

Don't know Ep, what time were you thinking? I'm in the office until 6pm that day, so I'm probably looking at 7pm. Also, where do you want to go? In the City? Outside of the city? Any particular location/vibe in mind? New York Avenue Beach Bar? Cocktail lounge? Irish pub?

7:30 inside the city, somewhere that has both dinner and drinks?

Also, where is a good place to get a hotel that's easy to get to the metro? (And how late does the metro run?) I'll have my own car, figured on staying outside the city though. I can't remember if there's any place to stay near West Falls Church, which is the only metro stop I can remember.

ETA: Although if people are outside the city to begin with mostly, and there's an easier place for everyone, I'm up for that, but you all would have to tell me where that is for you. The only thing that I'm against is anywhere too loud to hear each other talk.

Guest Raidne

The hotels off the Rosslyn stop (orange/blue line) or the Crystal City stop (green/yellow line) are a good bet, particularly the Hyatt Arlington or Marriot Crystal Gateway, which are right on top of the metro stations. Rates on Orbitz are $109/night for the Hyatt Arlington, but parking is about $20/day extra. Rates for the Marriot Crystal Gateway are $89/night, $24 for parking. Metro runs until 2am on Friday night. If I were you, I'd personally rather be driving into Crystal City than around to Rosslyn and my love for the yellow/green line and 23rd street in Crystal City greatly exceeds my love for the orange/blue and Rosslyn. Probably more convenient to wherever we'll be going as well.

Dinner & drinks in the same location is tough on a Friday night with no confirmation as to what time people will be showing up, etc. (i.e. can't make reservations). Are you looking for food of any kind, or food that's noteworthy? If the latter, we might be able to snag some space in the lounge at PS7 or get into Bar Pilar on U St (both somewhat upscale venues with great to good cocktails and food, but harder to get a table). I haven't been to Bar Pilar yet. If the former, I'd probably recommend Wonderland Ballroom up in Columbia Heights (standard bar food that is nothing to write home about, good beer selection, cheaper, nice laid back atmosphere with a great patio). All of these are on the yellow/green line. Let me mull it over a bit more and I'll see if I think of anything else. I'd LOVE to take you to The Passenger but it might be kind of loud and/or busy - OTOH it ranks as one of the best bars in the country and Board people have had good times there before - and it's accessible from multiple metro lines.

Guest Raidne

I don't know - what say you all: was Passenger too loud for conversation? I seem to recall having plenty of conversations there and it's not like the music is loud, but it does get crowded.

Raids, I'll get the room on Crystal City, those are really cheap rates, I'm surprised. The Passenger sounds great - otherwise food of any kind is ok if it will let us go to a place where people can show up wherever with no reservations. If that's impossible, then V & I can always grab something to eat earlier. It's just that since I'm personally not a big drinker, I like getting dinner more than going to the bar.

Guest Raidne

Ooh okay. The food at the Passenger is fantastic actually. I'll plan on showing up earlyish and holding down a section of the bar (I've found that ordering drinks directly from the bartenders results in much better outcomes than table/waiter).

Not being a big drinker would be a good thing at the Passenger too seeing as the drinks are fantastic and very strong, but about $9/each. It's about flavor and balance, not about getting smashed. You're meant to sit on them for awhile. Have more than three and you're asking for trouble, lol.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this, but I hope you have a lot of fun visiting our great city. And I highly recommend the Passenger as well; great place.

Guest Raidne

A note on The Passenger for those who have not been there before: they do not have a cocktail menu, except the daily drink menu on the chalkboard above the bar (usually about four cocktails). The bartenders are fantastic, and they like to get creative. So you tell them some kind of basic idea of what you're looking for - what sort of liquor, or whether you want a fruity drink, herbal, etc., and they'll whip something up for you. Or it's a great place to order a classic martini or Manhattan, etc.

Just don't order a rum and coke or seven and seven or you won't be getting much service at the bar for the rest of the night. FYI. They also have a beer list.

Archived