Transformers

Calibandar

I liked the teaser. Why? Because I highly doubt any of it will be in the movie. It's just a little thing to have fun. The Transformers won't be from Mars. I also like the direction they seem to be going with the military vs both Autobots and Decepticons. Makes sense to me, certainly more than the seemingly care-less government in the cartoon.

Yeah, it was a banner Christmas at the ol' Faceless Man household... a kid next door had Omega Supreme, and we would wage EPIC battles... Predaking and Omega Supreme were the badasses of the Transformer Universe for me back then.

Nothing gives me a rush of nostalgia like talkin' Transformers...

In Britain we never got the toys of Omega Supreme or the Predacons :cry: Or, for that matter, Trypticon, Fortress Maximus, the Constructicons, Blaster, Perceptor, Swoop and slightly randomly, one of the Seacons (the one who became the combined forms' gun). We also didn't get the Deluxe Insecticons, Roadbuster and Whirl, which would make more sense if it wasn't for the fact that the DIs, Roadbuster and Whirl appeared in the UK comic but never in the US one :huh: We also only got three of the Autobot and three of the Decepticon Pretenders, instead of all twelve of them. Shockwave was available, but not as a Transformer (as his Japanese model had been licensed by a different company years before Transformers had come into existence).

The explanation was that the UK market was not big enough to support such a large number of Transformers. Given that TFs were the biggest-selling boys' toys for something like four years running (1985-1988), this explanation never really held water, especially as characters like the Constructicons were pretty big in the TV series, the movie and the comic. This lead to a brisk trade in imports as some British retailers imported some of the US toys from Brazil and Mexico.

Twenty years on, I still feel the pain :(

The trailer didn't really make me feel one way or the other, except I had to laugh at the cheesiness of the narative. The impression I get is that Mars was a pitstop on the way to earth, as opposed that they were from Mars. However, this kind of f's things up with the whole shipwreck on Earth scenario. Bay is going to f#ck this up royaly. And screw Spielberg for allowing this to happen.

I must have downsides my expectations in a timely and appropriate fashion because the teaser wasn't that bad to me, in fact I liked it's ending.

Yes it would be inane if they decided Transformers would be from Mars, I see no clear advantages of that. On the other hand, all I expect this film is to be a very cool special effects showcase of a studio going all out on the look and feel of the Transformers. I'm just incredibly curious as to what they will do with them, their look, how intelligent they will make them ( a main problem could be dumbing them down) and what they can do.

The plot will be standard I'm sure, which will be a shame, but still it's not what I'm going to see this movie.

• 3 weeks later...
Teaser....trailer...whatevs. :lol:

I sent it to my colleague, who promptly replied "WTF!! The Beagle was a probe, not a rover!!!" :rofl:

Yeah, what is funnier, is that most of the animation was stolen from the mars rover pitch footage. I recognized it from the promo videos my comapny put out for the system. It was footage done by some college grad student with a pc and bunch of mp3s.

I think the film is absolutely going to suck donkey balls and I think it's going to be a humongous flop as well.

However, I will almost certainly not be able to resist going to see it, just on the off-chance...

DAMN YOU MICHAEL BAY!!! (2)

Cal, I think it might actually be. Not that I saw them, but while perusing the Don Murphy I saw a mini-fan-explosion over what they called 'Flaming Optimus'. I didn't want to dig through the 50 fricken threads devoted to it. Besides, the Cullen news had just broke and that filled up even more threads. Looks pretty damned bad.

Cal, I think it might actually be. Not that I saw them, but while perusing the Don Murphy I saw a mini-fan-explosion over what they called 'Flaming Optimus'. I didn't want to dig through the 50 fricken threads devoted to it. Besides, the Cullen news had just broke and that filled up even more threads. Looks pretty damned bad.

:agree: This movie could have been an altogether greater level of awesomeness, but instead it's looking appalling on a level hitherto never encountered by humanity (possible exaggeration for effect).

[optimism] Still, at least if we start dissing it now, by the time it comes out it could actually not be possibly as bad as we are expecting it to be and thus it will end up being 'okay'. [/optimism]

Optimus with flames?

Bay's probably been watching Trick My Truck, a terrible show on Country Music Television that basically rips off Pimp My Ride by giving 18 wheelers custom paintjobs and stupid interior accessories (though I must admit it is kinda fun to watch. Seeing a 50 year old trucker get weepy because someone gave him an aquarium for his sleeper cab is just awesome.)

Seriously, though?

You don't fuck with Optimus Prime. Just like you don't fuck with Spiderman or Superman. The look is red and blue and iconic to the people paying to see this silly shit.

Between that and the story focusing on human characters... this is really going to blow. But it'll probably have some pretty explosions mixed in for good measure.

Human characters? Focus? Really? WTF?

From what I surmise it'll be about the reaction of the US government to two robot factions deciding to make war on Earth ie: whether to nuke them, talk with them, etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if at one point one of the Transformers gets captured and taken apart to see what makes him tick, Decepticon or Autobot. Likely the latter as it would be easier to ambush and capture a "good" giant robot. I also could see a plotline of the gov't making a deal with Megatron for weapons technology.

Basically the kind of thing that the cartoon implicitly ignored for fear of dealing with the seemingly obvious solution of just taking all the Transformers out, good or bad..

The comic had a good approach to it, namely that nuking the Transformers is impossible (no American President will ever detonate a nuke on American soil without better reason, plus the TFs locations close to cities) and eventually, after about six years, the Autobots prove their 'goodness' to the US government and they team up against the Decepticons.

Focusing on humans can work to make the TFs come to life, as in Simon Furman's new comic series, Infiltration, but the film sounds like it's going for the more obvious route of not having the TFs on-screen that much (even with modern CGI, it's going to cost a bomb every second one of them appears). Of course, this route sucks. We want to see frickin' giant robots kicking ass on screen!

The other problem is that the film is being aimed at today's generation of kids, with new toys and so forth, with some token gestures thrown at the old, spending power-capable fans (keeping the old logos, getting the guy who did Prime's voice back). Perhaps this is as it should be. If they aimed it squarely at the hardcore old fans, they won't get many people watching it. At the end of the day Transformers is a cool kid's toy concept, and reinventing it for today's kids is a perfectly valid way of carrying on (as with Doctor Who's new incarnation and, to a lesser extent, the newer Star Wars movies).

From everything I've heard and seen sofar it seems to be very much as Slurk indicates, a story of the human military vs Transformers.

Given their apparantly enormous amount of willingness to change everything about the Transformers as it is known, I am wondering if there will even be an Autobots vs Decepticons storyline, and if the focus isn't actually going to be largely on the humans, with some Transformers thrown in, and the storyline being Man vs Transformers ( as a whole).

Needless to say, that has huge "sucks monkey balls" potential.

And to continue the negativity, I have sofar not been bowled over with the actors cast, or the chosen director's resumé.

Archived