Transformers

Calibandar

Sure there is, VW Beetles are conceivably the worst car ever invented.

And Bumblebee was the lamest Transformer until Wheelie came along. It goes together so well!

He doesn't deserve to be a cool car like a Camero.

I'd heard that the issue with Bumblebee was VW's reluctance to associated their brand with anything violence or warfare related. They refused to give the rights. Not sure how much truth there is for that, but if leu of a Bug, I always thought a mini would be a perfect, modern substitute. It's a small and quirky car with the same kind of personality.

One of the first things made clear before a script attempted was that there would be no massively shrinking robots. It was decided (wisely I might add) that willing suspension of disbelief wouldn't allow the audience to buy 50 ft robots chucking the laws of physics completely by turning into 5 inch tape decks. It got a good percentage of the fanboys into a fuss...but it was a no brainer and the right move as far as I'm concerned. Giant sentient robots that turn into comparably sized vehicles via largely mechanical processes is reasonably plausable in a standard sci-fi context. Mass size shifting generally isn't, at least not in this context, and it's presence would be a needless distraction.

And Megatron is a tank. Gun was never a serious option because of the size issue and public image. It's a new day n age and Hasbro can't exactly be selling handgun toys to kids that much anymore. And certainly not realistic looking ones.

And I'd love to see the Grimlock character myself, but his alt mode goes against the 'Robots in Disguise' concept the filmmakers are pushing. Nothing deceptive about a gigantic, robotic dinosaur walking down Lake Shore Drive. He's popular amongst comic and cartoon fans though, and really is a great character. Give him a different alt mode, which shouldn't be too hard to brainstorm, than shove him in the sequel. At least that's what I'd like to see.

Like most everyone, I'm cautiously optomistic. I don't want this movie to suck...even though I think it probably will.

One of the first things made clear before a script attempted was that there would be no massively shrinking robots.

For that, I'm glad. As I mentioned before, Soundwave was my favorite transformer as a kid, but the shrinking part always seemed silly.

Interesting about the VW stance against using a Bug. I wonder if this is a new thing or if the originals just never had the VW decal.

The original toy of Bumblebee never had a VW logo. Actually, frankly, the original Bumblebee toy didn't look a huge amount like a VW. Goldbug (Bumblebee's reincarnation) was very definitely a VW in appearance, but again didn't have a logo on it.

• 2 weeks later...

News in from the first week of production:

Originally Posted by Michael Bay

We finished our first week. One of the best first weeks on a movie I've ever experienced. We shot over 250 set ups.

I'm working on the military aspects of the film right now in New Mexico at Hollaman Air Force base and the Army's White Sands missile base. The military has been stellar with us. This is the largest military cooperation since Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down.

Friday we shot two CV-22's (Ospreys). They fly like aliens dropping out of the sky. We also shot stealth fighters and low attack missile runs (50 feet off the deck) A10 Warthogs. They look so deadly and mean.

We also shot in an army tank grave yard, that has more tanks in it then all of Iraq. The military cast Josh and Tyrese are surrounded with top notch Seal Team members.

I almost dropped from heat stroke on Wednesday in the 118 degree heat. Several crew went down in the heat on these dunes. It is amazing how quickly it can come on - I now see how some of those football players drop dead from heat stroke.

Check out the official site for more info and here for more on-set reports.

Just wondering: are the Transformers board littered solely by 6 year olds, or are they 26 year olds with the minds of 6 year olds?

Given the fans whom I'm aware of, I'm going to say the latter. Of course, the people posting are likely representative of the worst of Transformers fans, rather than the best.

• 4 weeks later...
Transformers are from Mars?! What the *beep* happened to Cybertron? :tantrum:

Just because they're on Mars there's nothing to suggest they come from there. For all we know it's not even a 'proper' trailer, the beagle thing might be just to get interest until they get enough footage for a proper trailer (though I'm pretty sure there will be a link). In an early Gladiator trailer they had the Conan the Barbarian music, didn't mean they had it in the actual film.

I remember when the Beagle crashed, I was pretty gutted by it, the scientist i ncharge was near tears. I hope the people behind Transformers (assuming they stick with the beagle thing) donate some of the profits to the team behind Beagle for the next one.

Seriously, a Teaser is supposed to excite. It's a 10-20 second piece of film, not necessarily even in the film itself, that's supposed to give you just enough to wet the appetite.

It's not supposed to turn you off on the project. I'm as big a Transformers fan as anyone, and I was WTFing!!?? through this shit. Giant Transforming robots is cheesey enough for the casual consumer, there's no fucking reason to make them from godamned Mars. (even if that's not their actual point of origin, the location still comes with alot of unsavory baggage in the popular psyche).

Why the hell Mars??!! Who's fucking brilliance was this? Trainwreck waiting to fucking happen.

Note to people in case they have the same problem I did: the Transformers movie website caches itself in your PC's memory. If you load up and still get the countdown, just refresh the screen and the movie viewing option should be up.

I think in the excitement over there being a live-action TF movie, people have downplayed the fact that it's being made by Michael "I Have No Soul" Bay. The chances of it being really good were absolutely minimal in the first place. From the teaser we can now upgrade that to looking like it will 'suck very very hard'. Maybe the proper trailer (which I'd expact in the New Year) can pull that back.

Remember, Michael Bay sold his soul to Beelzebub (aka Jerry Bruckheimer) a long time ago. Do not be surprised when his movies turn out to be utter, utter shite. The big problem here is that actually, a live-action Transformers movie could have been pretty retro-cool in the hands of a good director.

Remember, Michael Bay sold his soul to Beelzebub (aka Jerry Bruckheimer) a long time ago. Do not be surprised when his movies turn out to be utter, utter shite. The big problem here is that actually, a live-action Transformers movie could have been pretty retro-cool in the hands of a good director.

*sigh* Yeah, pretty sure this is gonna be a write off now to "What could have been..."

Archived