Breaking Bad Discussion II

7V3N

I think it's funny that Walter White, IMO easily the least likable anti-hero in cable drama (more so than Tony Soprano, who otherwise would hold the crown), gets that kind of love. Not just because he's a monster, although Vince Gilligan has been consistently calling him a monster for a long time. But also because the show frequently makes fun of him, his pathetic attempts at rationalization, his boundless insecurity/megalomania, his pettiness, his self-delusion... I don't see how people can love Walter and hate Skylar without being blinded by serious gender issues, I really don't. It's like finding out that people are rooting for George Costanza, or that they think that GOB Bluth is a bad-ass.

And speaking of GOB Bluth, I've just become aware of the Tumblr page Breaking Development. I think this is my favorite mash-up.

I sort of feel like the real villain in BB is the "War on Drugs", which is why I want to see Walt succeed. Fuck you DEA.

I sort of feel like the real villain in BB is the "War on Drugs", which is why I want to see Walt succeed. Fuck you DEA.

Really? I'm not a defender of the War on Drugs, particularly, but I feel like Breaking Bad is an incredibly apolitical show, so bringing that to the show feels a little artificial.

Really? I'm not a defender of the War on Drugs, particularly, but I feel like Breaking Bad is an incredibly apolitical show, so bringing that to the show feels a little artificial.

I don't think the show brings it up, but I bring that mindset when I watch it.

I personally believe in legalizing drugs. That doesn't in any way mean that I support, justify, admire, or glorify drug dealers.

Walt started S1 as at Type-V anti-hero. By season 3, he was a Type-III anti-villain. He spent most of season 4 as a Type-II, but by the end made the full transition to flat-out villain.

Gus appeared to be a Type-V anti-villain at the start before being revealed as somewhere between a complete monster, magnificent bastard, and punch-clock villain. Mike was a Type-II anti-villain all the way through; Jesse is a Type-V. Hank went from a Type-III anti-hero to straight hero.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it, I think Walt is the Starscream.

Maybe some of the people rooting for Walt still see too much loveable Hal from Malcolm in the Middle in him. I mean that guy got in over his head so many times, this time he just got himself really really really over his head.

And I don't hate skylar, I feel for her situation, I just think the most interesting parts of the show happen inspite of her not because of her, she always seems to be the last piece that has to be dragged into whatever place she needs to be in for things to keep moving at the awesome pace this show sets.

Maybe some of the people rooting for Walt still see too much loveable Hal from Malcolm in the Middle in him. I mean that guy got in over his head so many times, this time he just got himself really really really over his head.

I've been wondering what happened to those boys. Hal didn't seem the type lead a double life.

I feel like a lot of people will root for the main character no matter what, because you're supposed to root for the main character always, and he or she must be likable.

I didn't make the connection between Skyler's new smoking habit and the ricin before I read this thread, but now I fear for Skyler's life. It's going to be her, or one of the kids. That ricin vial will not go to waste.

I just watched the first four episodes of this season today. I am doing this because I believe that this story is better told by watching it in continuity instead of waiting for weekly episodes. I was going to wait until this years episodes were complete, but my DVR filled up, and I had to free some space.

I can't believe how much my opinions of these characters have changed over this series. As has been pointed out, this is a testament to the outstanding writing this show enjoys. At this point, I absolutely loathe Walt, and I am completely sympathetic to Skylar's position.

I have thought for a long time that Walt's eventual downfall will come from Walt Jr. I can very easily see a scenario where he is forced to take out his Dad to protect his Mom. I also think that the Scarface reference in the episode is probably foreshadowing that almost everyone we know in this show is going to be killed.

Have you watched the blooper reel for each season of BB? Cranston is absolutely hilarious, and there's an obvious Hal moment in the season 2 reel. I am once again having a tough time taking him seriously, even after this week's dark episode.

I love the fact that I hate Walt and feel like he is an irredeemable monster because he poisoned Brock, yet I love Jaime despite the fact that he threw Bran out the window.

When Cat accussed Jaime of trying to kill Bran he replied with; "I seldom throw children from windows to improve their health" whereas Walt would stutter and stammer and make up some lame excuse as to why he wasn't to blame and it was really someone else's fault.

Plus. Jaime is fucking hot.

Archived