The Puck Drops Here!

Fragile Bird

I think that the NHL lockout is interesting in that so many of the players are international, and there are plenty of international leagues that offer pretty good money. That wasn't an option for NFL players, and for the NBA, sure you could go play in Europe or China for 20% of your previous salary, but that isn't exactly appealing for the US born stars (or even most of the European players), particularly when you could get injured, potentially costing you millions.

But while I don't know too much about the KHL, etc, it seems that a few of the Russian NHL stars (Semin?) were already considering going back, because the money is at least somewhat close, and you can be in your native country, speak the language, and likely be a bigger star. If NHL players started mass-defecting to Euro, Canadian and Russian alternatives, then that would really serve the NHL right for this lockout.

I'll admit, I always side against the owners in these lockout struggles, but this one seem particularly egregious given that damage to the NHL brand that was done only seven years ago. Ever since, the NHL has been struggling to bring things back. And just when it looks like they're making some progress, its back to locking out again. It makes me glad I'm not a bigger Caps fan.

Aren't the bulk of the AHL players bound by the NHLPA?

ESPN will be showing KHL games.

AHL players are bound by the PHPA (Professional Hockey PLayers Association), which also represents the players of the ECHL and CHL. Although if you're signed to a NHL club, you are bound by the contract governing those players, so I would imagine that you would be locked out of NHL play. The PHPA boasts a few thousand members, IIRC, so it's probably almost twice as many players as the NHLPA represents.

However, I would imagine that there might be some sort of union pride thing where members of the PHPA not signed to NHL clubs would refuse to act as scabs. Also, a number of NHL players have gone down to play for AHL teams during the lockout (ie. Scott Gomez). Seeing AHL players go the other way (while NHLPA players remain locked out) would probably not be legal according to the CBAs of the various leagues.

I just don't really understand where all of these replacement players would come from. Overseas? A Major Junior league like the CHL or USHL? NCAA? The American Collegiate Leagues? I don't get it.

Centerstagesports.com

We're good in the NBA and NFL section, but id like to get members for the NHL. Don't need to be real active but it'd be cool to post here and there, or whatever

If you guys do sign up - can you use Mike as the referral.

AHL players are bound by the PHPA (Professional Hockey PLayers Association), which also represents the players of the ECHL and CHL. Although if you're signed to a NHL club, you are bound by the contract governing those players, so I would imagine that you would be locked out of NHL play. The PHPA boasts a few thousand members, IIRC, so it's probably almost twice as many players as the NHLPA represents.

However, I would imagine that there might be some sort of union pride thing where members of the PHPA not signed to NHL clubs would refuse to act as scabs. Also, a number of NHL players have gone down to play for AHL teams during the lockout (ie. Scott Gomez). Seeing AHL players go the other way (while NHLPA players remain locked out) would probably not be legal according to the CBAs of the various leagues.

I just don't really understand where all of these replacement players would come from. Overseas? A Major Junior league like the CHL or USHL? NCAA? The American Collegiate Leagues? I don't get it.

<Insert awful joke here (because I like him) about Gomez being an AHL-caliber player anyway...>

LooN, I would bet that whoever floated the scab idea didn't really think it through that far. It's not really a feasible idea; hell, in this day and age, I don't think people would go to the games, even, unless prices were insanely heavily discounted, and I doubt they would watch on TV either (that much). A pro sports league using all replacement players is the sort of thing that might have flown in the '80s (and did! in the NFL, at least), but there's just no chance it would survive now; critical mass of public opinion is way too easy to achieve with the internet & social media, and it would get laughed out of existance.

Time to start researching the KHL games.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nhl-offer-proposes-50-50-revenue-split-1.997818

TORONTO - The NHL has presented a new offer to the players that it hopes will end the lockout and allow for a full 82-game season.

League commissioner Gary Bettman says the long-term deal will split revenues with players 50-50 across the board and takes steps to guarantee the players will get full value from their existing deals.

Bettman says under the deal the season would start Nov. 2 and each team would have one additional game every five weeks in order to get a full season in.

Bettman says the proposal is now in the hands of the NHL Players' Association. The union has requested time to look the proposal over.

The current lockout is just over a month old.

The season was to start Oct. 11, but the two sides were not able to come to an agreement before then and the first 82 games of the schedule were scrapped.

Players, you greedy bastards!

Well you have that completely backwards, and this new offer by the owners is barely better than what they offered before (which was a complete lowball relative to the current deal, in which the players gave major concessions).

But in any case, let's get hockey back.

Archived